DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Tune Bot / Idrum Tech lawsuit?

Has anyone kept up with what is going on there? I'm wondering if Tune Bot has legitimate claims to infringement or is simply killing the competition through court costs?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Tune Bot / Idrum Tech lawsuit?

I had not heard about his before, do you have a link please?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
I had not heard about his before, do you have a link please?

Thanks
News Story: http://www.universalhub.com/2013/law...competitor-out

Idrumtech's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/IDrumtech

The Filed Complaint: http://www.universalhub.com/files/tunebot-complaint.pdf
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Interesting, thanks Muckster, I wonder why they only appear to be going after I drum Tech , I am pretty sure I have seen other similar apps?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know enough about the individual devices to comment from an informed position, although I do know a fair bit about patents. Unless I'm mistaken, the basis of the technical infringement being argued centres around collection of frequencies, not processing or manifestations thereafter. If that's correct, then I'm failing to see the difference between Tune Bot, the Idrum app, & a guitar tuner. Tough one.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:22 PM

As always, check the patent to see if claim #1 "the independent claim" has been infringed upon. For this patent, that is:

1. A method for resonance tuning, comprising: receiving a signal in response to a resonance of a structure; determining a frequency or musical note related to an overtone from the signal; selecting the frequency or musical note related to the overtone as a filter mode reference frequency or musical note; and suppressing a display of frequencies or musical notes from a subsequent signal that deviate from the filter mode reference frequency or musical note by a predetermined threshold.

I am not familiar with either system. What do you guys think?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM

I'm guessing that the patent refers to tuning drums only, if not then surely guitar tuners infringe the patent?

Also, I had always thought that a patent could not be issued if the device/method being patented already existed elsewhere in the market, I downloaded an electronic drum tuning app 2 years ago?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM

I think this suit is a bunch of hog wash. They are just trying to kill competition. I downloaded and use Idrumtech. It's only $3.99 compared to Tunebot's $100 pricetag. That's why Tunebot is trying get rid of Idrumtech. It works very well and my drums have never sounded better.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiet1966 View Post
I'm guessing that the patent refers to tuning drums only, if not then surely guitar tuners infringe the patent?

Also, I had always thought that a patent could not be issued if the device/method being patented already existed elsewhere in the market, I downloaded an electronic drum tuning app 2 years ago?
Claim #1 does not limit the field of application to drums. It is not specific to any instrument,

Patents are granted often for ideas already being practiced. In these cases, the field of search for "prior art" was not exhaustive enough. There is a protest process but I am not an attorney and do not know the details.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

I don't know much about patent law, but I have heard over and over again that a patent is only good if you make attempts to enforce it. If you fail to enforce it, it's basically like it doesn't exist after a period of time.

Something like that...
Old 12-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
I think this suit is a bunch of hog wash. They are just trying to kill competition. I downloaded and use Idrumtech. It's only $3.99 compared to Tunebot's $100 pricetag. That's why Tunebot is trying get rid of Idrumtech. It works very well and my drums have never sounded better.
agreed

I own them both .... they both work very well and equally as well in situations where I use them....which is in loud environments changing heads or tuning adjustments

but for $96 less how could you pass up the app ?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Excellent. How do we donate to his legal fund? I want to donate just out of principal.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch-o-rama View Post
Excellent. How do we donate to his legal fund? I want to donate just out of principal.
http://idrumtech.com/help.php
Old 12-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
If you have an iphone/ipad or android phone or tablet get the app. You won't regret it. It's free now and once you download it, it has a link within the app to donate to idrumtech. Definitely a worthy effort.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Yep. Sorry. missed it the first time.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
What's your principal? Helping a company to "steal" ideas and technology from another just to make money with it? Clearly Tune-Bot is/was an innovation. If you read the Complaint even Eric Rosebrock (of Idrum) acknowledged that. As far as I can see it's a judicial but not a moral question if Idrum is violating a patent.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
If you have an iphone/ipad or android phone or tablet get the app. You won't regret it. It's free now and once you download it, it has a link within the app to donate to idrumtech. Definitely a worthy effort.
It's not showing as free on my Android. $3.99
Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 AM

Might be a bad move to sue.. by publicizing this, a lot of people (like me) that have never heard of the idrumtech app might try it out!

Reminds me of when my $175 Yamaha metronome (that was a painful, tedious bear to program) bit the dust and I replaced it with a $4 app that is light years better than that piece of junk!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 AM

I have a tune bot and really like it. Just downloaded the Idrum tech and it looks pretty nice, especially for free. I did a quick side by side comparison and the tune bot reads the frequencies a few HZ higher than the Idrum tech but probably not enough to make much difference. I don't know which one is more accurate.

After a quick look the only real advantage I see to the tune bot is being able to clip it to the drum rim which frees up both hands to tune.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
It's not showing as free on my Android. $3.99
Doh, now listed as free.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:04 AM

Wait seriously? Cause I just got it today and paid 3.99 for it. If I had waited an hour I would have got it free?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
Wait seriously? Cause I just got it today and paid 3.99 for it. If I had waited an hour I would have got it free?
Yeah, I guess? I checked earlier and it was still listed as 3.99. Just checked a few minutes ago and it was free, so I downloaded it. May not get to try it anytime soon, but it seemed to download okay.

Sue them! ha ha, bad joke. Just kidding.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 PM

FYI.. I have this app and I was perusing around last night trying to figure out some settings to use this with my new Gretsch kit.

It sounds like this app is shut down now and will no longer be updated and is no longer available? :(
Old 12-24-2013, 11:22 PM

I went to look at downloading it too, even as an owner of a tune-bot, and it was gone.

I have a strobe tuner app, and wonder how I can use that type of technology to tune drums...
Old 12-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

I didn't know about these apps or devices until this thread...cool stuff.

It's unfortunate when a company comes up with a great idea and it gets copied...and many times, depending on the revenue generated, the patent holder will not pursue the infringing faction. At least one company I consult for has a patent that has been seemingly infringed on by a huuge company...and since the sales have been low and revenue is low compared to those of the patent holder, they sorta sit it out.

It does sound like guitar tuner technology for sure...but if they somehow worded it to get around the prior art that may exist, the patent can be valid.

I've come into contact with some folks that look at potentially lucrative technologies that are patented and evaluate if there is a way around it so they can jump in.

Some larger companies have a policy of not going after infringement...simply due to the revenue at stake vs legal cost
Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 AM

It is up to the courts on this, sounds like. I wish I would have gotten it when the thread started.

Somewhat related, I heard a pretty good episode of This American Life called "When Patents Attack" that gave me an expanded view of patent law. Worth the time to track down and listen to.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Arrghh! I find this thread after it is not available! Just like the guys above too, :(. Does anybody know if the lawsuit went through or not? I am not finding any info on what happened other than idrumtech is wiped from the internet. None of the links seem to be working, except one fb page. Such a shame as I was so psyched to find out about this!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:34 PM

Don't know about lawsuits, but the tune-bot is awesome. I'd rather not buy some device I don't want to get all these "App for that"s. A simple cell phone is all I will own, tyvm.

Anyway, got the tune-bot and it is great! Esp on my 7pc. I have them tuned better than I ever could without lugging a keyboard around for reference. It is the bomb, baby!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM

IdrumTech is not available in the U.S. any longer as of about a week ago. They didn't have the resources to fight the lawsuit, which essentially said that they couldn't make a phone app that does the same thing as TuneBot's device.

If you already bought the app, you can keep using it (yeah me), but if you uninstall it it's a goner. Too bad, because it's an awesome app.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:40 PM

It a great iphone app. spot on. To spend $99 vs $2.99, is crazy. Too bad. So if you still have it loaded don;t uninstall it, USE IT. Otherwise the TuneBot is really a good choice.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
IdrumTech is not available in the U.S. any longer as of about a week ago. They didn't have the resources to fight the lawsuit, which essentially said that they couldn't make a phone app that does the same thing as TuneBot's device.

If you already bought the app, you can keep using it (yeah me), but if you uninstall it it's a goner. Too bad, because it's an awesome app.
I was lucky enough to get it on my phone before this all went down. whenever I upgrade my phone, I'll probably keep the old one around just to be used for idrumtech and the metronome app I have installed it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM

The lawsuit is pretty lame. The creator of iDrumTech has tried on multiple occasions to work out a deal with Tune Bot, but they've rebuffed him and decided to go this route instead.

It's pretty lame, because I would've considered buying iDrumTech AND a Tune-Bot (sometimes you just don't want to risk taking your phone out for sketchy characters to see at some venues), but as a result of this frivolous lawsuit, I will be buying neither.

Way to go Tune Bot.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 AM

I've downloaded the IdrumTech and the Drumalyzer 2.0, both were wonderful apps for tuning. The thing is that my phone's Jelly Beam upgraded its version and the apps were gone.

Does anyone have the apk for re downloading it? I would download the Drum Tuner from Google Play, but it has very bad reviews and the caps make me believe that itīs not that good. However, does anyone use Drum Tuner? It is worth paying for this app?

I've donated 6,99 to these guys. It is a shame this lawsuit. Absurd.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Those defending the Tune-bot people. Their patent suit is related to being able to read a frequency with a microphone as it relates to ANYTHING... The tune bot folks have hardware - idrumtech was using hardware that was already in place (phones).

What do you think this frivolous BS is REALLY about?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughrider View Post
Those defending the Tune-bot people. Their patent suit is related to being able to read a frequency with a microphone as it relates to ANYTHING... The tune bot folks have hardware - idrumtech was using hardware that was already in place (phones).

What do you think this frivolous BS is REALLY about?
What does it matter? We have no influence over its outcome and the 6 people here offended by it are not going to be bringing anyone to their knees anytime soon by withholding their purchases so it is ultimately a moot point