DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Question about IEMs and limiters

Hi everyone!

I am starting to play live with a click track and some backing tracks from my iPad. I am currently running my click and backing track channels into a small mixer, which I use to drive a pair of Vic Firth isolation headphones.

I would like to get a pair of IEM's to use in place of the big Vic Firth cans, and I'd also like to bring a monitor feed from the board into my mixer. That way I can adjust the balance between the monitor mix, click track, and backing tracks.

I've been doing some reading, though, and have read some stern warnings about using IEMs without a limiter. Folks say that you could be in for some serious damage if someone unplugs a microphone or something while your IEMs are in place. So now I am very concerned, because I do not have a limiter on my mixer, and I'm using wired Shure SE215's, which have no limiter either.

As far as I can tell, the only ways to add a limiter to my system are a) add an outboard limiter like a Rolls SL33 or rackmount unit, b) use wireless instead of wired IEM, or c) use something like the Tasty Blender instead of a mixer.

Outboard gear means more gear to lug around, and I have plenty already. Wireless is not really needed since I am stationary, and it gets to be rather expensive anyway. The Tasty Blender might be OK, but it seems odd that they are the only ones making a product like that, and I prefer having a mixer that can be used in other situations as well.

I was wondering what other people are doing in this situation. Have you found a limiter to be really necessary, and if so, how do you handle it?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Question about IEMs and limiters

I use an in ear setup that includes the following:
  • Shure SE425
  • Yamaha MG102C mixer
  • Behringer DEQ2496 (for EQ and Limiting)
  • Behringer HA8000 headphone amp (extra channels for other band members)
  • 4U storage draw
  • Furman power conditioner
  • iPad (for click and remote control of Presonus Studiolive 24.4.2 FOH mixer)

The iPad is connected to the Yamaha for click. I also get a stereo feed from the FOH mixer that I feed into the Yamaha. From there the stereo signal goes to the DEQ2496 for EQing and limiting and then on to the HA8000 and then to my in ears. I have the limiter set at -10db.

I love this setup because I have complete control of my monitor mix from my kit. I think the limiter is a nice safety measure, but I also keep the overall volume at a moderate level and can still hear everything crystal clear. I have this all setup in a SBK Mini GigRig rack http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=2&c=78&s=78, but it could all fit in a 4U rack (minus the storage drawer) with the mixer sitting on top of it.

http://punchdrunkmonday.com

Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Question about IEMs and limiters

Here you go. Limited.

Shure P6HW Hardwired Bodypack Receiver