Emperor Hazy?

Anyone use an Emperor Hazy on any of there snares? I just bought one to try out and would like some feedback if there is any
Thanks!

I never touch the stuff. It's thin 3 mil for me all the way.

I've tried them. To me, they make the drum sound a bit boxy but very solid. I don't recall that they were too insensitive, but I was playing basic rock/pop/country stuff, not anything intricate. I've also tried the Diplomat weight snare head, and I found that to make the drum tone too thin for my liking. If I had to choose between Diplomat and Emperor snare sides, I would choose Emperor, but I still find the best balance to be with a 3 mil head.

Curious to see what your experience is.

I've tried them. To me, they make the drum sound a bit boxy but very solid. I don't recall that they were too insensitive, but I was playing basic rock/pop/country stuff, not anything intricate. I've also tried the Diplomat weight snare head, and I found that to make the drum tone too thin for my liking. If I had to choose between Diplomat and Emperor snare sides, I would choose Emperor, but I still find the best balance to be with a 3 mil head.

Curious to see what your experience is.

lets say you have a really ringy snare, even would tuned well, would having the thicker reso control some of that extra ring?

I don't really think so. The snares effectively dampen the reso head, so most "ring" comes from the batter head. This assumes we mean the same thing when we say ring...

that sounds good to me lol that why ive switched to the evan genera or hd dry and i cut some of the muffle ring out it sound great on my other snares, and soon i wanna try the st and st dry out. ive also got a 13x5.5 mapex black panther brass that came with a remo renasaince snare side on it and i was actually really pleased with that head, being thicker and all

that sounds good to me lol that why ive switched to the evan genera or hd dry and i cut some of the muffle ring out it sound great on my other snares, and soon i wanna try the st and st dry out. ive also got a 13x5.5 mapex black panther brass that came with a remo renasaince snare side on it and i was actually really pleased with that head, being thicker and all

The Renaissance is a 3mil head. Definitely will dry out some stuff, but I found that it made my snare lack bite.

The Renaissance is a 3mil head. Definitely will dry out some stuff, but I found that it made my snare lack bite.

oh nice, i just assumed it was thicker because of the feel and the look of it, it looks like its frosted with some sort of coat, i really have researched them much

I've tried the Evans Glass 500 before, and I just couldn't get the sound I liked out of it. It sounded dull on every drum I tried it on, including my "ringy beast" steel snare.

I'm sure 5-mil snare sides work for some folks, but I'm not one of them.

For me nothing beats a Remo Ambassador Clear no collar or an Aquarian Hi Performance snare side.

I've tried "darker" snare sides, like the Remo Renaissance and the Evans Orchestral 200, and I found they achieve a darker tone without losing sensitivity like the thicker film does. I just prefer the brighter sound of thinner clear film on the bottom and try to get any "darkness" I need through top head selection.

Back