DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 PM

Default I want better sound will the Roland PM 30 give it to me?

I recently bought a Roland TDKV30 kit. I had a PM10 monitor from an old kit and it is OK but the difference between the sound from my headphones and the monitor is like day and night. I don't mind using the headphones but sometimes I want the sound projected into the room. MY question is if anyone has gone from a Roland PM10 to a PM30 and if you think I can expect much better sound from the PM30 or just the same sound with more amplification?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Default Re: I want better sound will the Roland PM 30 give it to me?

Tuning a kit to sound good in your headphones will result in it sounding not so good on your monitor. Same goes for tuning a kit to sound good on your monitor. There is a give and take that has to happen if you want your headphones and monitor to sound the same. This can be achieved by using a nice set of studio monitors, but it doesn't guarantee it will sound the exact same on both the headphones and the monitor. They will be close but they will sound a bit different based on the frequency ranges each are optimized for, the sound field will feel different, the room's natural ambiance will effect the monitor's sound, etc...

Ultimately, you have to choose how the kit should be tuned to sound good on the device you plan on listening to it. If you primaraly play with headphones on, then I recommend tuning the kit to sound good in your headphones. This way you are happy most of tbe time. If you want to play off the amp you just have to realize it will sound a little different and be comfortable with that.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 AM

Thanks Tommy that makes sense. since I can program about 100 different kits I might think about setting up dual kits. One for when I'm practicing with headphones and one for when I'm playing with others through the monitor. Thanks again
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 AM

I am answering because this morning I played with several monitors and active PA systems at a local store. The PM30 sounds better than the PM10 but I was testing with an MP3 and both sounded unpleasant compared to a nice clean PA like the Yamaha DRX12 for example. If you want a loud and clear hi-fi sound and are not looking for exaggerated subwoofer-bass, then try some powered PA systems and compare them with drum monitors. I think the key to better sound is a much higher power rating such as 500 to 700 Watts RMS. Worth the extra money if you can afford to sink a bit more into your system.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

From my personal experience, don't waste your money (like I did) on a PM30.

I ended up with a Mackie 1530 and the difference is night and day.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 PM

both the PM30 and he PM3 are WAY better than the PM10 which IMO is a bit of an embarrassment... I have done a few kit installs now where people have had PM10's and they don't have anywhere near enough bass to be a v-drum monitor.
Mackie and other PA speakers are good but if its for home or small studio use IMO you wont go far wrong with a PM3 or PM30 (BUT make sure you get one WITH the satellite speakers)..

G
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

The PM-30 is/should sound better than PM-10. This, of course, all depends on your personal value of "what sounds better".
The PM-10 is basically your entry level amp. One 10" speaker, and 30 watts. And, as you start turning up the volume, you're asking it to work hard. With the PM-30, you've got more power .... and a larger speaker. And two satellite speakers. End result, it doesn't have to work as hard.
Generally, headphones will always sound better, so comparing headphone to speaker sound quality is kinda an apples to oranges thing.