DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Default 808 Trigger?

I searched for 808, and found 0 results.

I'm looking to pick up an 808 trigger (for bass drops), and having a hard time not buying too much unnecessary junk that goes with some pre-made setups (with 8000 sounds, and 24 pads, etc...).

Anyone have any advice?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: 808 Trigger?

http://www.alesis.com/samplepad
Old 01-09-2014, 01:00 AM

I found that right after I posted...

I'm concerned with the ability to put the 808 sound on it.

For $159, it's hard to beat (as far as price). I'd probably get a trigger of some kind (one of those round stick thingys) that is easy to hit.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The PercPad ($99) has an 808 as an onboard sound (Electro Kick 8) as does the SamplePad. It can be played via one of the pads, a foot pedal, or a trigger plugged into the pedal input should work.

That will be the least expensive, no muss mo fuss method to trigger simple sounds.

Bermuda
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM

These prices are much easier for me to handle...

Benefit of Sample pad over Perc pad? Is that the Sample pad can have wav files downloaded to it?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Yep, SamplePad allows mono .wav files of various resolutions as needed to conserve its 14mb of ram. There's are some good threads here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=111696

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=88065

Bermuda
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 PM

So I played something that had an 808 sound. That isn't the sound I was looking for.

I don't even know the name of what I'm looking for. But there are MANY songs that use it. I thought it was called 808, but that is just a ringing bass note (one note). How do we get that sound to drop? What is that called?

My band is playing For Today songs for a short cover fest this year. They use a dropping bass note (starts high, and drops down in tone as it rings).

This is prominent in songs like Devastator, Seraphim, Fearless, Immortal, etc...

(first few seconds of Immortal you'll hear it)

I really would appreciate help. I'm on the fence as to whether I just drive up to my local music store (or Guitar Center- which I try to avoid), and ask a sales person to sit in my car and listen to it, and say,"I want whatever makes that sound."
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Didn't hear anything on Immortal, although I'm glad Cookie Monster got a gig! :)

Based on your description, my guess is that it's a classic synth gliss, which can be accomplished with an old Syndrum. However, those pretty much one trick ponies, they make a couple of sounds but not much more. Plus, at 30 years old and analog, you'd need to find one in excellent working order.

Or, you can create the sound yourself and play it (and many others) in the SamplePad.

Bermuda
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Didn't hear anything on Immortal, although I'm glad Cookie Monster got a gig! :)

Based on your description, my guess is that it's a classic synth gliss, which can be accomplished with an old Syndrum. However, those pretty much one trick ponies, they make a couple of sounds but not much more. Plus, at 30 years old and analog, you'd need to find one in excellent working order.

Or, you can create the sound yourself and play it (and many others) in the SamplePad.

Bermuda
The first bass hit was around 10 secs in. It is a pretty low frequency.

I have absolutely no idea how to 'make' that sound. And it is keeping me from purchasing the SamplePad. If I knew that I could do it, I'd get it. But I'm really not even a beginner, more of a first-timer.

Cookie Monster? You referring to the vocalist for For Today?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 PM

Yeah... that's not Cookie Monster?? Sounds just like him... :)

Well, I hear a low rumble, doubtful it's the drummer's responsibilty though. I'd say get a sample from the bass player, crunch it up, and trigger that as needed.

As for sampling, creating or modifying sounds, it's a good idea to get familiar with the process. There are maybe only a few genres where that wouldn't be helpful, I'd guess jazz, orchestral, and folk, Celtic, and other acoustic styles. Otherwise, samples and sound design are fairly prevalent in modern music.

There are some inexpensive and even free programs that provide nice tools for sampling, recording, editing and effecting sounds. A laptop is perfectly suitable for editing audio, and PC and Mac are equally powerful when it comes to creating audio files.

Even if you just buy audio sample discs to source sounds for a playback pad (Alesis, Yamaha, Roland, etc) you'll need to do some work with them on the computer.

I use an old version of the $79 Sound Forge, and it's perfectly fine. Audacity is free, and has some nice features. Adobe Audition is also free as part of their (now discontinued) Creative Suite 2 or separately (search abobe.com) and has some very nice effects. I'm not sure if that CS2 giveaway is available for Mac.

Bermuda
Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 AM

Might be a place to start: http://trashaudio.com/2010/01/roland...8-sample-pack/