DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-25-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Practice Pads

Hey guys,

I have started to teach, and I'm beginning to get some students (this is for community service of course). Because its for community service, I don't have any income from it, so I don't want to have to buy practice pads for my students, but I don't want to have my students shell out the money for a practice pad (it's hard enough to keep students!). What are some ideas for cheap practice pads that I can just make by myself?

Happy Thanksgiving by the way.

Last edited by Bad Drummer; 11-25-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Cheap Practice Pads

Mouse pads would work as make shift practice pads.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:57 AM

Thanks. I think I will try that. Any other ideas, folks?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Drummer
Thanks. I think I will try that. Any other ideas, folks?
I cut a circle in wood, and glued on It an old aerobic carpet... Almost noiseless, and without too much rebound !
Old 11-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Senior Administrator

i have made loads of different pads over the years. like i once nailed an old pair of thongs tp a piece of wood. i found a tractor tire innertube and cut it into a single band that was about 15 cm wide and 3 metres long. then i wound this around a piece of wood over and over. those foam peak hats work too.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

Mousepads and plywood. And maybe some glue.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan is offline
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer
Mousepads and plywood. And maybe some glue.
I don't understand peoople that recommend no-rebound surfaces. Then why not just ask everybody to bring their own pillow or let them play on their jeans?

If you are not going to teach the kids about rebound, I wonder what you will teach them? The rebound is one of the truly thrilling elements of drum technique, fundamental to all drumset technique, so my advice would be to get some good rubber and glue it to wood. It would surprise me if you don't get a pad on par vith RealFeel's or Vic's. DPS
Old 01-20-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Practice Pads?

I am going to purcahse a practice pad probably this weekend and the only question i have is which pads hold up the longest?
only brads i know are reel feel, remo, and vic firth. is a there any other i should look at instead?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Practice Pads?

Depends on your budget I guess. I started off with a Big Dog pad (about 8" I think) which I still have in my kit bag just in case and can say that it's as good as any others I've played and only about £12.

I recently shelled out for a 12" reel feel to stick on my snare (it hexagonal and fits a treat) or just to put in my snare basket as the 8"er didn't fit so well on its own and would move around on my snare if I laid into it a bit.

I'm very happy with my reel feel but it cost me about £38 and I only got it cos I was a bit flush. Otherwise I probably would have got one of the bigger Big Dog pads.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:46 PM

the pro mark xpads are good. theyre like forty bucks though.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Practice pads...Real feel???

I have been looking for a new practice pad after busting my old homemade one, and I finally purchased a HQ "real feel" pad.
I hope I am not repeating anyone here, but do anyone out there know of anything a little more "real feel". Sometimes it feels like an absolute waiste of time practicing on the practice pad, as I will have to do it all over on my snare anyway. It may be because of the way I have tuned my snare (I am a complete idiot at tuning drums), but the bounce of the pad is just way too much. I have been thinking about a moongel pad, but before I do anything, I'd like to hear what you guys thing....
Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Practice pads...Real feel???

i usually use a pad that cost quite cheap (no idea what it cost since i bought it about 5 years ago!) and it has much less bounce than my snare which I find good as it prepares you more for rudiments, and if you can play at a certain speed on a less bouncy pad then ur sure to play faster on a more bouncy snare.

Anyway more to the point...it shouldnt make that much difference but u may want 2 try out some different pads to c one that suites you. IMO less bouncier ones do the job.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:45 AM

Which one is it that you use????
Old 01-21-2006, 01:41 AM

I have an HQ real feel double sided and it feels pretty real to me
Old 01-21-2006, 04:31 AM

Hi Guys,I love Remo tunable pads,they feel like a snare drum and you can adjust tuning.As you get older,there is too much vibration with rubber pads.Bad for your hands!They dont feel anything like a drum,and there is no rim,I hate rubber!!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Silver Member

Yeah I use a realfeel for practicing when it needs to be quiet, but any other chance I get I have one of the Remo pads with an actual head on it. And I imagine the vibration from the rubber pads can eventually have a negative effect on your joints.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:16 AM
jamndrummer

http://www.indoorstorm.com/fcs/produ...roducts_id=192

You will be well pleased practicing on this!
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 PM

I have been drumming since the age of 7 and have also plenty of schooling in the bag. Fall 2004 I had an accident and had a hairline fracture in my left hand (I play traditional grip). I was in a cast for 6 weeks and after the cast was removed my left hand and muscles were extremely weak. Rehab was not an easy road either. I was determined to make a come back and as soon my left hand was strong enough I started to practice my technique again. This is what I have done and it has worked wonders for me. Practice rudiments, finger control, mueller technique, etc. on a moongel pad. Get the heaviest sticks you can find, e.g. oak corps drumming sticks and then put stick weights on the sticks. It WILL feel awkward and difficult at first but I promise, the results, if you are patient, will be amazing. My hands are stronger than ever now and I can do things with much more ease on the drums that I couldn't do before. The moongel pad is amazing and your technique will benefit tremendously.

After practicing on the moongel pad with heavy sticks and stickweights, I feel like my hands go on auto pilot when putting a pair of 5As in them. It's incredible.

Very important! As with any kind of weight training, if you feel pain, stop or slow down.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Pioneer Member

[quote=glen gratto]As you get older,there is too much vibration with rubber pads.QUOTE]
I am sorry, but this is nonsense. There is nothing bad about practicing on rubber. If you want an example, look at Jim Chapin. 85 and playing all day, every day on a HQ pad in his lap. He can hardly walk but he has hands like a 20 year old.

To the original question about the use of practicing on a bouncy surface: this is extremely important to do. In fact, for even more rebound, use a light stick such as Dom Famularo's Pad Stick. The idea is to learn to use rebound effectively, not replicate the feel of a drum. The drum has what rebound it has, but if you learn ON a drum only, you might pick up the bad habit of pulling up needlessly. The pad teaches the rebound, and as I see it, that is THE most important technique lesson. Everything else you can practice on a drum.

In extension of my above pooint I strongle warn against using weights, pillows, and any other tool that will teach you to pull up, rebound or no rebound. It will develop the opposite of graceful technique.

As for which pad to use, I like Vic Firth's pad. The rubber is better than HQ's.

Happy shedding! DPS
Old 01-24-2006, 10:51 PM

Yes that was exactly what i wanted to say too.The pad teaches you the rebound.It should be better for you to use a little heavier stick (for example a 5b in pad if you play 5a in drums) and you'll gradually excel the art of rebound!This will affect your drumming tremendously because you wont have to make extra lifting moves on the stick.You'll just feel the drum's rebound so perfectly that you will almost instantly adjust the right movements of your hands!

I hope i helped
Old 01-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt949
I am going to purcahse a practice pad probably this weekend and the only question i have is which pads hold up the longest?
only brads i know are reel feel, remo, and vic firth. is a there any other i should look at instead?
I swear by Vic, their rubber is great!
DPS
Old 01-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPowerStroke
I swear by Vic, their rubber is great!
DPS
I love my VIc Firth as well, great feel to it.

I did have a real feel for about 8 years and never had a problem with it either, but if I'm not mistaken the Vic Firth is slightly less expensive.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 AM
da cheese walks

Haha!!!Im a scab!!i didnt bother buyin a pad....I made my own...got a table mat an stuck a mouse mat to it,with the underside of the mouse-mat facing out....it may not have a brand name but it works really well!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaffodil
Which one is it that you use????
(sorry about the delay in reply) Its an all black cheap "Percussion" one. It takes a beating. Iv had it for 5 years now and its shown little wear only marks. I use it alot and it has proved to get my hands quicker and prepared me more for playing on the kit.

I tried to attach a pic but it was to big file. If you desperatly want a picture of it id be happy to email one or whatever...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:46 PM

Hey Pink

I know what you mean about rubber pads and the excessive rebound--However, this is not a bad thing if your still training your hands to play utilizing stick rebound. If you feel your comfortable with rebound check out a pad made by Sabian called the Quiet Touch-- it really replicates the feel of a snare drum and it is tunable--not for sound but for tension to control rebound--it even has the diameter of a snare--the best part is that it has vibration sensitive feet and is designed to be placed on a snare drum to get the snare sound without the volume.

Pete
Old 02-18-2006, 05:52 AM

Default All those different Practice Pads

I have been spending alot of time lately with my practice pads. I've noticed a huge improvement in my stick control and speed executing my chops. I've tried the pillow exercises but did not like them, for they left my hands aching and cramped. The best way I've been able to gain speed and control is to, Frist practice with my " Porto Practice Pad", made by W.L.F. Drum Company, yes it's ancient, mine dates back to the 60's, but it's a very thick piece of rubber that gives you minimal rebound without straining your hands. Then moving to a harder pad that has better responce. Wow the result's for me have been great.

I don't know if anyone makes a soft rubber pad like the "Porto" any more? There are so many Practice Pads out there today, and the cost of a good pad is crazy. I have to ask, is it realy worth $40.00 for a pad of rubber. I've played the "HQ Reel Feel" at the local stores and liked the feel of that pad the most of all the ones I've tried. But the thing is that real drums with real heads don't feel the same as a great practice pad. Maybe my snare that's cranked up tight, but the tom's don't.

So the Million Dollar Question is, If speed and crontrol is gained from using softer pads that make your hands build endurance, or for you pillow beaters, using pillows for strength building, " Is using super responsive practice pads helping us, or giving us a false sence of feel to our practice "? Yes nothing is better than playing the real thing, our real drums, but shelling out lots of money for a pad, or even the latest craze of practice pad sets that are ridiculously priced, seems to be more of a way for marketing companies to make more money from us starving drummer's.

Sorry for rambling.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: All those different Practice Pads

Well a drum feels more like a practice pad than a pillow, so using the pad is only going to help teach the muscle groups in your fingers, hands, wrists, and arms.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:36 AM

hi
I use these practice pads that I got from Gear4music.com
http://www.gear4music.com/index.php?...ils&pcode=SDP6
and they are quite good! except that you dont get any cymbal pads and I still dont get how you put the bass drum pad on!
but they are pretty good.
In my local drum shop. you can get one of them snare practice pads(bit like them real feel pads,) for £18 or the smaller 6" one for £11.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:15 PM

IMHO i feel that rubber bouncy pads are like pampering your hands...and when you get on a real set...you fumble.That always happen to me.

I recommend the e-pad...not too bouncy...not too soft...defintely faster and smoother once on drumset...try it =D
Old 02-28-2006, 02:31 PM

I recenently purchased a good old Billy Hydes rubber practice pad. I too agree that the bounce is too much. I was practicing my parradiddles today on the practice pad at about 120bpm, then decided to give it a go on the actual snare drum. Needless to say, I struggled big time. The bounce off the snare just doesn't feel the same.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM

I am often away from my set, for travelling purposes, and I also spend a lot of time on the practice pad. I used to carry a Vic Firth rubber pad, but I never liked the feel of it. I recently bought a Roland RMP-3 practice pad, and I like it very much.

The remo mesh head's feel is much better than the rubber pad, and you can adjust its tension. You get a built-in metronome, and you can use a headset which gives you both the sound of the metronome and the plain sound of the stick.

Very expensive, however, for a practice pad, as for all Roland products.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:00 AM

Default practice pad gone dead?

I'm just wondering how often (if ever) others replace, or get a new practice pad. I've had my current one (Real Feel) for about three years. I have a sneaking suspicion that the rubber is slllooowwwwlllyyy getting a bit harder. Not helped in the least by my using it as a drinks coaster, sitting in the sun (I like to practice poolside), etc.

Logic suggests that a pad might "crap out" after a while, although not nearly as soon as a batter side head. Thoughts? Experiences? Am I being a*al?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: practice pad gone dead?

There is a chance that leaving it out in the sun may have dried it out a bit...never had this problem with a practise pad
Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Gold Member

yah, thats a safe bet dude. haha ide suggest a new one. and just dont leave it out.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 AM

Yeah...I rarely leave it out for long, but UV's do have their way with things.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Practice pads

What pad,if any,are you guys using?I have a small Stagg one and am thinking of upgrading,if you will.Its so small that its bugging me.I tried to do the Weckl DoubleStroke Technique today and can barely fit 1 sticks motion on it.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Practice pads

I use a double sided Real Reel Practice Pad. It is the bigger version. I dont know the correct size but I think it is either a 12 or 14 inch. It is big enough for all three snares in my drumline to warm up on with more than enough space.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Silver Member

I have the Reel Feel too. Great pad. I usually only use the rubber bouncy side. I should switch it more often.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:07 AM
fourstringdrums

I have the HQ Reel Feel (12") I love it. It has a much nicer feel and is quieter (to me) than the Vic Firth.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:08 AM
Gold Member

and as do i. awesome tool. i have the remo practice pad, and although it was very drum-like, it was just too loud.