DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Does anyone have any experience with the Ludwig Atlas Arch Rail Mount?

More specifically, does anyone know if it will fit a Sonor Safari?

I had the idea to get one tonight during my gig with the Safari. The tom mount on the bass drum is drilled way to far out to be comfortable for me so I have had to resort to taking an old Tama cymbal/tom stand that seems like it weighs about 20 lbs.

I'm just looking to lighten the gear case a little and was wondering if that new Atlas mount might be an option.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience with the Ludwig Atlas Arch Rail Mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
More specifically, does anyone know if it will fit a Sonor Safari?

I had the idea to get one tonight during my gig with the Safari. The tom mount on the bass drum is drilled way to far out to be comfortable for me so I have had to resort to taking an old Tama cymbal/tom stand that seems like it weighs about 20 lbs.

I'm just looking to lighten the gear case a little and was wondering if that new Atlas mount might be an option.
Wow - I never heard of this issue. When I played the Safari - that tom mount put the tom right where I liked it and was perfect. I believe the Sonor bass drum tom mount is a 1" hole. Why not find an L-arm that fits, and put the tom ina RIMS mount with the right tom bracket?

I have a Rogers memriloc L-arm you can have.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience with the Ludwig Atlas Arch Rail Mount?

The Atlas mount fits holes spaced from 25-43mm (apporox 1 - 1 5/8")
Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Wow - I never heard of this issue. When I played the Safari - that tom mount put the tom right where I liked it and was perfect. I believe the Sonor bass drum tom mount is a 1" hole. Why not find an L-arm that fits, and put the tom ina RIMS mount with the right tom bracket?

I have a Rogers memriloc L-arm you can have.
I thought about that too. I don't know if using the bass drum mounting hole will bring the rack tom close enough. I don't have any issues with the mount on the tom itself. I tried all the spare mounts I have and I still couldn't get it where I wanted it. Obviously the stand allows me to do this. I was just looking for a simpler solution.

In it's ideal spot, about a third of the rack tom hangs over the bass drum batter side towards me.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The Atlas mount fits holes spaced from 25-43mm (apporox 1 - 1 5/8")
I hadn't thought of that measurement...yet. I was more concerned with the lug spacing; if that rail was more designed for a normal-sized bass drum and wouldn't even work on a 16" drum.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

It's really just a question of attaching the mounts in place of two lugs, so no holes are drilled. If the hole spacing for the Sonor lug isn't between 25-43mm, then the Atlas won't fit, unless you want to drill holes.

Bermuda
Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
It's really just a question of attaching the mounts in place of two lugs, so no holes are drilled. If the hole spacing for the Sonor lug isn't between 25-43mm, then the Atlas won't fit, unless you want to drill holes.

Bermuda
The best I could tell without removing the heads or lug is that the mounts would fit in place of the existing lugs.

As long as the rail is able to be installed on mounts that are so close--on a 16" drum--I should be okay. I measured them earlier and it was about 7 1/4" between lugs.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 PM

Taking my new legacies out for the first time this weekend. I did a practice breakdown and found that one of the arch extension rods had come loose, I hoping this was a one time thing and not a problem with it. I originally cranked it on good so we'll see.