DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Default Buddy Williams

Not sure why this cat isn't on Drummerworld (only wish list), as he is one of the most recorded out there.
His credits are ofcourse far too long to list but my faves include: Bob james 'H', David Sanborn 'straight to the heart', and Luther Vandross 'Never too Much'.

I really like is laid back style, and ability to play literally any style-Only Omar Hakim, and Vinnie compare in that respect I think.

Anyone else got favourites by him?

A nice clip of his skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1nj6Yla_Vg
Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Buddy Williams

I know this is an old thread. Ok, really old. But I have a reason for posting. Last Friday I went down to a local bbq place with a bar that is within walking distance of my house. I have eaten there several times before but never heard music there. I had heard that recently they had music but thought it was local talent and small acts since there isn't much room for a band. So I walk in on Friday with a friend for a last minute drink and hear a band playing: Keys, guitar and drums. They really sounded good. Tight and grooving, slick and "professional". I didn't recognize the drummer but didn't think much of it since the last thing I would expect is to know the drummer in West Orange, NJ. Then the keyboard player introduces the guitarist (who I had not heard of) and the drummer: Buddy Williams. I have been listening to Buddy during my 35 years of dreaming of being a drummer but never having the talent to do it for real. Of course they sounded amazing and it was a great night of music, even though we were 3 out of a total of 7 or 8 people in the place.

I too am amazed that Buddy is not one of the drummers listed on this website. Given his discography, I would think he deserves his own page.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Buddy Williams

Ha! old thread indeed.

Great to hear Buddy is still playing. There is something cool about seeing great players in small quiet places when only you know who it is playing!

Had a similar experience in Stockholm a year or two ago. Small little jazz club on the outskirts of the town center with a local Jazz band playing who were very good when in walks Herbie Hancock! No one really batted an eyelid but me and my friend immediatley recognized him. He was apparently playing in the big hall in the city that weekend and I think he knew one of the players in the band so sat down to watch. It was quite cool watching the band with Heribie Hancock doing the same on the table opposite with only 15 or so others!

My Friend talked to him after but I thought he looked like he just wanted to chill out in a quiet place as a regular member of the public for a change!

Thought this was quite funny continuing from the vid I posted years (!) ago:
http://youtu.be/O4ll0iYPyoY?t=40m10s