DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Default Why am I better at heel/toe with my neighbor's inexpensive bass pedal vs. my DW5000?

Hi all,

I've been drumming for about a year now, and have been playing with some friends every week and having a grand old time. Recently I've been trying out heel/toe drumming, specifically while playing Walk This Way and Barracuda. I have a DW set with a DW5000 bass pedal. All was well until I went to my neighbor's house...his teen kid has a drum kit and I started playing. Lo and behold I suddenly became the world's best heel/toe player! His bass pedal is a PDP basic model, but seemed much quicker/bouncier...it's hard to describe...but it was just easier to be quick.

I know it's a vague question and you can't see the specific pedals, but any suggestions as to what might've caused the dramatic difference? Should I be thinking beater heights? Springs? Chains?

Roy (aka slow foot)
Old 11-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why am I better at heel/toe with my neighbor's inexpensive bass pedal vs. my DW5000?

It may not be just the pedal. The bass drum size, bass drum heads, muffling, and tuning of the bass drum play an important role in the action of the pedal.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why am I better at heel/toe with my neighbor's inexpensive bass pedal vs. my DW5000?

The dw pedals are a bit tank-ish.

The stock beaters are absolutely huge and thus pretty slow. I took them straight off my 9000 in favour of some light ones.

You should prob just go and get a pedal that suits you better.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefyRoy View Post
Hi all,

I've been drumming for about a year now, and have been playing with some friends every week and having a grand old time. Recently I've been trying out heel/toe drumming, specifically while playing Walk This Way and Barracuda. I have a DW set with a DW5000 bass pedal. All was well until I went to my neighbor's house...his teen kid has a drum kit and I started playing. Lo and behold I suddenly became the world's best heel/toe player! His bass pedal is a PDP basic model, but seemed much quicker/bouncier...it's hard to describe...but it was just easier to be quick.

I know it's a vague question and you can't see the specific pedals, but any suggestions as to what might've caused the dramatic difference? Should I be thinking beater heights? Springs? Chains?

Roy (aka slow foot)

Trade him straight across for your DW, you won't be sorry, won't want it back.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post

The stock beaters are absolutely huge and thus pretty slow. I took them straight off my 9000 in favour of some light ones.

Ya id bet its this over some tuning/size problem. Not only are the beaters heavy, but the footboards are heavy too. And pdp is pretty damn light. From my experience, the most popular light-weight pedal is the pearl eliminators, and those can switch to longboards which is always a bonus for heel toe. I play heel toe (both with single pedal and double bass) and I use the speedcobras, their lighter then DW, as well as the regular iron cobras, but still give a lot of power.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Sure the DW is 'heavier'......but I would be 95% sure this has to do with how the pedal is setup - beater angle, height, spring tension.....you can get your DW feeling/working better just like the PDP, it needs to be tweaked.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

....I know it's a vague question and you can't see the specific pedals, but any suggestions as to what might've caused the dramatic difference? Should I be thinking beater heights? Springs? Chains? ...

I'd say, before you go buying or swapping pedals, go back to your neighbor's house and bring your pedal. Compare settings on both pedals, and try your pedal on his drum if that's OK with him. Offer to return the favor. It'd really tell a lot if you could also try his pedal with your bass drum.
That way you can tell if it's some difference in the pedals, or something to do with the bass drum itself.

The price of a pedal really doesn't have too much to do with how well a pedal is going to work for you. There's a whole lot of other things that go into it.
Maybe it wasn't the pedal or the drum, but you were just playing exceptionally well that day - it's been known to happen.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
It may not be just the pedal. The bass drum size, bass drum heads, muffling, and tuning of the bass drum play an important role in the action of the pedal.
Yup. That's my guess too.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

There's only two factors the bass drum could be contributing- head tension and/or distance of head to beater, which is bass drum spur height and to a lesser degree hoop width.

Even if you side by side the pedals and match the settings best you can, they still won't feel the same. The small weight variations produce that noticeable difference in feel, its resistance and it can't be 100% compensated w/the spring.

Another BIG factor is stool height and distance, pay attention to how high/close the kid had his stool/throne, that's a biggy, actually bigger than slight differences in pedal settings.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 AM

Thanks everyone! Will work on bringing his pedal to my house to try it out and will get back to you.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I've done a thread about pedal settings, it might be of some help for you.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93800
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM

The weight of the pedal is the key, I think. DWs seem to be over-engineered to me. Maybe your foot just responds to a lighter design.

But this is not uncommon. Just because a pedal is cheap doesn't mean it is right for you.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Just mess around with it. If it doesn't work sell it and buy something else. Pedals are different for everyone. Without your trial and error and knowing what you like nobody on here can really tell you what you like. however I do like this thread a lot and I'm glad you made it because it really shows just how much someones experience my vary. I am a heel toe player and I can't play on a long-board. Even though most people play heel toe better with a long-board. Also I like a heavy beater. my favorite beaters are those really heavy really big round felt beaters. Just keep trying things. change tensions, beater angles, try a new beater head. If nothing works for you try trading someone. Or if it is an unfair trade sell off your pedal and buy a new one. I often times will "downgrade" equipment on a trade if it is what I like better. The loss of money is no big deal when you are getting what you want. Just as long as it is good enough for you it will be good enough for everyone else. Don't just hold on to that pedal because it is more popular.

Also I realize I may be putting words into your mouth so take somethings I say with a grain of salt. I was making general statements through a lot of this post.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM

This thread has me wondering about my pedal now. I've had a DW 3000 single pedal for about four months now. It is a pretty nice pedal but I'm getting frustrated at times with my ability to quickly and smoothly play it. It could either be A. a lack of skill or B. the pedal isn't in sync with my playing style. (probably A).

I still have the big stock beater. Maybe I'll try a lighter beater in addition to tweeking spring tension.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post

Dre,

Can I ask what kind of beater you put on your 9000?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:37 PM

I've been working on heel/toe myself lately (was strictly heel down before that, but am working more 16th notes on the bass drum) and have gotten much out of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I use e drums, which means I'm hitting a sensor with my pedal, but had never considered that the surface it's striking would affect the pedal action. Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I've done a thread about pedal settings, it might be of some help for you.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93800
Thanks for sharing this here, and for the thread itself. I have been arbitrarily adjusting my pedal since I bought it, without any knowledge of what I was trying to achieve. Going to run through your adjustment directions and checklist (am very fond of a good checklist!) this weekend to see if I can improve the feel of my pedal.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 PM

OK I'm back! So I made a few adjustments to my pedal, with the most notable being changing the angle of attack of the beater. Before changing, it was nearly coming back and hitting my shin between beats, but now it starts at more of a vertical position. I think the force of hit is lessened, but it doesn't make a big difference in sound as far as I can tell. What's better is that I can't tell a real difference now between my pedal and the neighbor's when doing heel/toe!

So I'm off to master Barracuda again, trying to figure out exactly why my brain won't let me do heel/toe when doing 16th notes on the high hat vs 8th notes...must disengage brain!

Thanks all, you're great.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 PM

I use a cheap Yamaha 700 pedal, it does the job. I think if theres anything to market, people will.