DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Default snare strainer help.

So after about 3 years My NickelWorks Snare strainer on my CLE Custom 5x14 snare finally bit the dust. It completely crumbled. I never like the flimsiness of the lever and it was always really hard to engage the snares I tried everything to get it to work right but never did. So now It is time to buy a new strainer. I have been looking at three the Dunnett R7, the Trick GS007, and The George Way Beer Tap. I want to know if any of you have experience with any of them. Right now I am leaning towards the George Way strainer because it looks so simple. And I will only have to drill one extra hole. I am not really worried about having a few extra holes in this snare even though it is my favorites snare that I have ever played I paid $50 for it and donít mind something looking like it came from a pawn shop. So please let me know if you have any experience with any of these.

Gibraltar Dunnett R7 Roto Snare Drum Strainer,
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...oducts_id=6888
Trick GS007 Polished Aluminum Strainer
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...oducts_id=6938
Gibraltar George Way Beer Tap Snare Drum Strainer
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...oducts_id=6877
Iím also thinking about picking up some fat cat dual adjustable snappy wires. Any opinions?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:20 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: snare strainer help.

I have the same trick on one of my snares and it works smoothly, flawlessly and highly recommend. I have no experience with the other two. Kind of an expensive strainer though, Have you looked into a DW mag throw? Works great and half the price.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:50 PM

I was looking at the mag and there is just something about it that pulls me away. I do keep hearing a lot of good things about the trick. I will probably end up buying the Trick. Because it is the most tested. But those two Gibraltar Dunnett throw offs are so appealing to me. But I can't seem to find enough information on them. The roto one has a modular bottom so you can take the snares off fast which will come in handy for tuning the reso head, and the beer tap just looks like a fool proof method. However that trick looks so nice and smooth.

Do you have the 3 position trick or the regular one?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a trick throwoff after playing with a brady snare (brady snares are fitted with them). I haven't fitted it to a drum yet.

They're a very smooth bit of machinery and they are cnc machined. Also the best looking of those IMO.

Can't speak for the others, but have tried the dw mag which is also cool. I would get the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
I have the same trick on one of my snares and it works smoothly, flawlessly and highly recommend. I have no experience with the other two. Kind of an expensive strainer though, Have you looked into a DW mag throw? Works great and half the price.
That DW Mag throw is ultra smooth. I too agree that it works great.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Keep it simple mentioned that he now uses the R7 on the guru snares. His reasoning:

Quote:
Aesthetics really. Both are great strainers, but the R7 is slightly lighter, & a little more slender in it's appearance.
KIS if you stumble upon this thread can you tell me if the R7 is of the same quality as the Trick. I wouldn't imagine that you would downgrade your snare mechanism much on those beautiful snares. and I was hoping someone would have some input on the R7 because it looks so darn nice.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

The beer tap,is a reliable, pretty much no gimmick, bare walls, work horse.As is the Ludwig P-83,and P-85.

Several of my P-83's are over 45 years old,and still work flawlessly,and smoothly.

For those that don't like them,all I can say is maintainence is the key.A little cleaning an lube every once in a while,works wonders.

Steve B
Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

I have the regular trick strainer not the three position.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

I saw the Dunnett R7 strainer at the shop, and it was a seriously nice piece.
Well built, NOT flimsy at all. AND it looks cool :-)
Actually, for real. Sometimes pics make something look better than it is, and this throw is VERY nice.
The Trick works fine, and people like it, but to me it looks like a giant hunk slapped onto a shell.

Between the 3 listed, I'd do the R7.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
The Trick works fine, and people like it, but to me it looks like a giant hunk slapped onto a shell.

Agreed.

The MAG is pretty great functionally (having used one for over a year now) but it's also a big hunk of metal.

I say R7 or Way. Probably the R7.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

The Geo. Way strainer (beer tap) would do me just fine too, as I don't really adjust the wires constantly, or use the lever all that much. I like how it adjusts. Simple, and not a lot to go wrong with it.

If the R7 fit a beaded shell, I'd get one of those for the Supralite because it looks so cool :-) Superficial, yes, but it's a nice piece that works too.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I saw the Dunnett R7 strainer at the shop, and it was a seriously nice piece.
Well built, NOT flimsy at all. AND it looks cool :-)
Actually, for real. Sometimes pics make something look better than it is, and this throw is VERY nice.

Thanks Karl and everyone else. This is the advice I was looking for. Even though my decision hasn't been made 100% yet you really clarified things for me on the R7 and will probably be the direction I go in. To me it reminds me a lot of the Trick but with more class. I have always been intrigued by this style but fear that adding too much something as bulky as the trick would change the sound of the snare.

Thanks for the help. When I order it I will right a little review on it so that people will get the info on it that they need.