DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Default Rattling Direct Drive (Yamaha 9410)

I have a Yamaha 9410 direct drive double pedal that rattles where the footboard meets the direct drive link. Has anyone else had this problem with these pedals or any others? Are there any fixes out there for the issue that someone could clue me in on? I've adjusted and greased every part of the things that I can and it still happens. The problem is mostly with the slave pedal, but both do it to a degree, especially when I'm playing closer to the heel plate and playing hard. The rattle doesn't occur during the swing of the pedal, only upon beater impact...should the drive shaft be absorbing more of that impact than it is?

Honestly, I can't really hear the rattle when I'm playing on my kit - only when I'm on my practice pad. That could be because I'm making lots of other sound to cover it up when I'm on my kit, or because the kick drum head has more give than my practice pad, so the impact on the head is less extreme than when it smacks into the pad (which is very hard and unforgiving I imagine). I'm worried that the rattle would surface if I ever recorded, and for when I'm practicing on my pad, the rattle is louder than the sound of the beater on the pad, which throws me off and is just pretty displeasing to hear.

If anybody has experience this and/or solved the issue I'd love to hear about it. If there were some washers on the shaft that makes the the footboard/direct drive connection then I bet that could help quiet some of the side to side play/noise, but that would require drilling it out, which seems like quite a bit of work when I'm not married to the pedal or anything.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Rattling Direct Drive (Yamaha 9410)

Are you sure that's exactly where the rattle is from - where the footboard meets the direct drive link? Did you take it apart to lube it there?
I don't have that pedal, but have the 9500d. A bolt runs through the front of the pedal and the bottom of the link is drilled out to accept a bushing that the bolt also runs through.
That's the only area that makes me a little nervous about the pedal, because IMO, they should have used a machined pin instead of a threaded bolt there.

You've got to have some measuring tools to tell exactly what the sizes are, but you can also tell by feel if there's too much slop. If there's too much play between the bolt and the bushing, you might just need a new bolt.
The bushing should be harder than the bolt so that the bolt wears rather than the bushing - but I don't know if that's the case. If it's the bushing that's worn, that'll have to be replaced.
If the link is worn where the bushing fits, you'll probably need a new link.
Wear would come mostly from parts that move up/down, and it's probably not side play.
Can't tell much more, without actually having the pedal to take a look at.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Rattling Direct Drive (Yamaha 9410)

I'm 99% sure that's where the rattle is. There's a fair bit of side to side play (not so much up and down). I've lubed it the best I can, but that part can't be taken apart - it's just bolted through - so nothing can be done to lube it any deeper. It looks like on your 9500d you can tighten the bolt on this part. On the 9410 you can't, so it's either drill the whole thing out or live with it. I've ruled out drilling, so it looks like I'll be in the market for a new pedal soon.

I talked to Yamaha about it. They were helpful in trying to diagnose it over the phone, but I can't find the original receipt for the thing and they won't replace or fix it without that. They told me that the frame on these pedals wears out, so a common source of rattling is in the axle sitting too loosely in the worn out frame. I do feel some play around there (I can wiggle the axle up and down, so it's pretty loose in there), but either way (frame or direct drive wear), looks like this thing is on its way out.