DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 AM

Default Remo Practice Pad For Bass Drum?

Hey folks,
I can only play on a real kit a few times a month, so I made my own bass drum practice pad by mounting one of those tunable Remo practice pads to some wood (kind of like this: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=84428 ). The surface can be tightened to be very bouncy (although this is the only pad I've ever tried), so I was worried I wouldn't be able to play the same speeds on a real drum, but I've found the opposite to be true.

I've been making very slow progress with the metronome, working my way up to 150 BPM 16 notes (double bass) over the past month. I finally got to play on a real kick drum today and after a month of playing at a limit of about 150 BPM 16th notes, I was easily playing 175-180, and was able to play clean bursts at 200. I had to adjust spring tension and throne height to get to that point, but now that I'm back home with my practice pad, the same throne height/spring tension had me back at 150 BPM. Part of this has to do with the feel/bounce of the pad, but some of it is definitely because the pad is just so loud that I don't want to lay into it and piss off my neighbors, thus losing the momentum that one picks up from playing hard.

So my question is, was this Remo pad a bad choice for a bass practice pad (I see most people just using them for their sticks) or are all practice pads going to play a lot slower? I'm curious about the response and volume of the Pearl and Gibraltar pads, and am also wondering if a simple mouse pad would would be quieter and/or better feeling than this thing. Any advice out there?

Last edited by Benn; 11-12-2013 at 07:58 PM.