DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 PM

Default Best Hi Hat Stand

Hey,
I am looking for the BEST, smoothest, and most innovative 2-legged hi hat stand in the market today. My budget is $250 and lower, and the lower the better. I really need help urgently. I am going to the US soon and I need to place an order from Amazon today.

What do you recommend?

Thanks so much,
Mark
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best Hi Hat Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummieMark View Post
Hey,
I am looking for the BEST, smoothest, and most innovative 2-legged hi hat stand in the market today. My budget is $250 and lower, and the lower the better. I really need help urgently. I am going to the US soon and I need to place an order from Amazon today.

What do you recommend?

Thanks so much,
Mark
Quite honestly -- in my experience a hi-hat is a hi-hat is a hi-hat. I have played budget student hi-hats that cost $30 and pro-level bells-and-whistles pulley-system hi-hats that cost $300, and the cymbals go down, the cymbals go up.

What you should most be concerned about with a 2-legged hat is stability. I use a PDP 820, and it does great in this department for all of $80-$90.

if you have a preferred hardware brand that has worked well for you in the past, and they make a 2-legged stand, I would go with that. The hi-hat stand is literally the only piece of hardware I've seen no real variance in quality of play among most manufacturers and price points.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

This is a tough one, b/c its the 'feel' of the HH stand that has the greatest effect on the player.

The feel IMO comes down to two (greater) things, the adjustable weight of the spring (I like mine to go real soft, or rather, don't like a spring thats too hard and won't go soft enough) and the other being angle of the foot board. Foot board is somewhat adjustable on all HH's. Companies do have their 'specific angles' tho so to speak and no matter what the adjustment, some don't feel good to me, a lot has to do with the heel plate design. The 'design angle' of the foot board influences how the pedal feels while depressed.

Overall weight may be a factor (and is for me). Based on quality, that's a crap shoot, all the hi end ($250 range) stands are well built these days.

So, buy a $250 HH and concede to that its well built, operates just fine, but you realize it just doesn't feel good to you. It happens.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, I love my DW9000- it feels much better to me than any other hi-hat stand I've tried. But it's $300. Gibraltar recently discontinued their Liquid Drive stands, and I don't know of any other high-end stand in this range that doesn't use the standard direct pull system, so you might as well just get whatever.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

The HH stand that came with my Gibraltar 9600 kit has a 2 legged variant. I'm fairly pleased with its performance. The downside is that it's not conducive to playing barefoot.

I've heard nice things about the DW 5000 series. A friend of mine uses one and I have no problem playing his kit.

Ludwig makes an Atlas-Pro HH Stand that is supposed to be a cut above the rest, but I was unable to find one to test when I was in the market.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummieMark View Post
Hey,

What do you recommend?

Thanks so much,
Mark
If you're coming to the US why not visit a shop when you get here and try out what they have and pick one up? With a $250 budget, that pretty includes everything except the top shelf DW and Sonor pickings. All with have a good two-legged stand to try.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 PM

The Tama HH905N stand gives more subtle control than any other HH stand I've tried (Sonor, DW, Gibraltar, Yamaha).
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
The Tama HH905N stand gives more subtle control than any other HH stand I've tried (Sonor, DW, Gibraltar, Yamaha).
I have to agree this tama stand is very good. I needed a lot of adjustment for the spring, and it is relatively stable for a two legged stand. Also, it has a very long inner shaft so that you can adjust this stand higher than some other stands. I think it can be had at a cheaper price though.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Administrator

I am using a Tama Road Pro for a bout 7 years without a hitch. Then save money for your next cymbal.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 AM

I have this bad boy and have never had trouble.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...s-hi-hat-stand
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

I just got a used mint DW9000 for $165.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I would probably go with this if I had to part ways with my DW9000 HH stand. I like my DW OK, but I would not pay big money for it. I also like that the Tama stand seems a bit more friendly when packing it up into hardware cases. I am doing a fair amount of small lug key turning and recessing for set-up and break-down, where the Tama HH stand seems to just fold up... Hrrrrm...

Also setting up the spring tension is super easy/fast to change. I messed around with my tension when I was setting up for a show and the tension dial backed out and was a pain to reset back inside the stand. Greasy lame.. I like my stand just fine now I have it set up the way I like it, but I would not buy it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
I just got a used mint DW9000 for $165.
MAN! Sweet price on the DW9000 stand! BTW.. I am LOVING the sound of my new Ludwig Classic Maples! Those sizes just sing! Very happy with my purchase.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 PM

I own the tama 915 speed cobra hi hat stand. No complaints other than changing felts out to cympads, but that's a personal thing. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HH915N/
Old 07-15-2014, 03:42 AM

I've ordered a 2 legged Speed Cobra HH stand and a 2 legged Iron Cobra HH stand, and I'll decide which one I like better (I'm seeing which one matches better with my LTD Black Speed Cobra double pedal). I'll probably test some other ones in the store and then make up my mind. Tbh, I don't know exactly what I want in a hi hat stand since I have no experience in trying multiple HH stands, I've only had my good old Tama Iron Cobra Junior HH stand. I would keep it, except it's 3 legged, which won't work for me :/ I'll just see what feels the best and what is the most stable and decide at the store.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

The best hi hat stand is the sturdy and lightweight (if u gig) one
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Get that sound percussion one that's like 40 or 50 bucks. I have it; it's pretty awesome/adequate.

Then drill out a couple rivets so that you can take off a leg. Voila! Two legs.

Then, with a little of the money you've saved, get the sound percussion drop clutch that's $20. Because drop clutches are where it's at.

Want a floor plate? Scrap metal is cheap/probably lying around somewhere nearby. So is plywood. Also nuts and bolts.

Or you could shell out most of that $250 for something used that's fancy and much heavier and probably prettier and definitely not much more useful.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
Get that sound percussion one that's like 40 or 50 bucks. I have it; it's pretty awesome/adequate.

Then drill out a couple rivets so that you can take off a leg. Voila! Two legs.

Then, with a little of the money you've saved, get the sound percussion drop clutch that's $20. Because drop clutches are where it's at.

Want a floor plate? Scrap metal is cheap/probably lying around somewhere nearby. So is plywood. Also nuts and bolts.

Or you could shell out most of that $250 for something used that's fancy and much heavier and probably prettier and definitely not much more useful.

HAHA, have to admit I've played a sound percussion hi hat stand and it didn't feel that bad. That was in store though. Not to steal thread or anything, but what is that pedal in your avatar? The pedal with the footprint. It looks so cool.

To OP. One thing tama has that is always cool is the store away hi hat rod thing. Something simple and it seems very reliable no issues yet with it for almost a year.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

My local music store (privately owned and operated) usually carries the former iteration of Pearl hardware. You know... as opposed to the latest and greatest thing... so I was upgrading last year and needed a new high hat stand and bass drum pedal. I got the former iteration of the Pearl stuff (I can't remember... perhaps it was 900 or 1000) anyway... it works nice. And they also make the bi-pods for racks and unencumbered double pedals for the bass.

Pearl

I also hear DW make really good hardware too. A CBA might swing to the Pearl side and perhaps only for cost and not quality. I would imagine they're both suitable and the technology at that level of hardware is fairly static.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

I have an Iron Cobra lever glide and DW 9000 hi hat stands. I like the IC more. Better built and much more user friendly.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat yeti View Post
HAHA, have to admit I've played a sound percussion hi hat stand and it didn't feel that bad. That was in store though. Not to steal thread or anything, but what is that pedal in your avatar? The pedal with the footprint. It looks so cool.
Thanks! Those are my DW 9000 pedals with custom footboards that I designed. My brother does CAM for a living and he did it for free with a chunk of aluminum they had lying around. Those are my footprints and initials immortalized in metal. I was going to take some more pictures and do a whole thread on it soon.

And seriously, my SP hi hat does everything I need it to. I've played tons of fancy expensive ones and I have never been impressed.