DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Default Meinl Cymbal Night (Oct. 19)

I'm posting this on behalf of Florian Alexandru-Zorn (Meinl endorsee):

------
Only one week left: The first Meinl Cymbal Night.
Chris Coleman and Norbert Saemann present you the whole Meinl Cymbal range in our studio. The best thing about it: It's totally free. So tune in and see you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrPKA...ature=youtu.be

That's Chris Coleman in the video... and at the end of the video there's a starting time table for various time zones.
-----
Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Meinl Cymbal Night (Oct. 19)

I'm annoyed that I'll be at work when this is streaming, I love Meinl and Chris Coleman is a great player.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

I will be there!! There are two broadcasts happening for the event :)
Session Work
Old 10-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Update - just received the following info in my facebook feed.

-------
this coming saturday myself and chris coleman will present two meinl cymbal livestream sessions at 3:00pm and 10:00pm CEST. we'll talk about and play for you our mb20, all byzance, and classics custom series cymbals. the livestreams are free to anybody. no registration necessary.

what i wanted to ask you is this: are there any preferred sounds, cymbal models, series, or topics in general you want me to talk about more detailed? endorsement questions? cymbal making questions? anything that might be of interest for you as far as meinl or drumming goes, let me know.

during the livestream then you can ask me and chris questions via live chat too.

i look forward to your response.

- norbert [Norbert Saemann]
-------

Here's another info link on the onlinesessions.tv website - the info is identical to the YouTube description though but you also have a countdown displayed.
http://onlinelessons.tv/de/neuigkeit...-cymbal-night/

Norbert Saemann is international artist relations manager with Meinl and has profound knowledge/experience with cymbals. In fact, some cymbal concepts/models have been created by him or with his participation. He'll be glad to answer any questions. Florian Alexandru-Zorn won't be participating in the video broadcast himself but (being a member of the guys owning and running the onlinelessons.tv website) will be present in the control room monitoring the broadcasts, handling the chat. Florian told me that Chris would do some lessons, too. Don't miss it.

Last edited by Arky; 10-15-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Administrator

I was told that the selection of cymbals would be limited to the higher quality range. Meinl have some 18 cymbal lines of which some 9 will be featured at the Cymbal Night. Due to the sheer number of available cymbals and the limited amount of time for the broadcast (some 2.5 hrs each - expecting the broadcast to run some more than the scheduled 2 hrs), not each cymbal within the featured ranges can be presented so some specific versions (e.g. having different thicknesses) might not get featured.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

I will definitely be attending :)
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Here's a pic of the Sonor ProLite kit that will be used for the Cymbal Night.

I'll be helping in the background - switching cymbals (Florian rang me up yesterday and I agreed ;-). That event is also a great opportunity for me to get a better understanding of the Meinl cymbal ranges presented and may help with future buying decisions. (I have very limited experience with the various cymbal brands including Meinl except from the cracked cymbals I was buying off Ebay and modding into bells/splashes.) That will also be my first time spending a visit to Florian's home/studio - it's a mere 30 km from where I live. That's the studio where the Onlinelessons.tv guys are doing their weekly lessons (Florian = drums, Bernd Kiltz = guitar - I'm a subscriber to both - I would actually touch my guitars once a week, for those lessons only - with a focus on drums where I still suck, haha).

Here's one more cool news:

There will be a Sonor Night in February (same place).
As I've been told/according to preliminary plans, that event will feature either various Sonor drums/kits (if so, with a focus on SQ2 sets) or focus on different snares.
Those Sonor drums will be presented by... Gavin Harrison!
Attached Images

Last edited by Arky; 10-17-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Setting off in a few hours...
Tune in if you can.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Looks like a Dual Ride in that kit picture. Color me excited!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

This is so cool!! You are doing a great job Arky :)

Session Work

Last edited by AirborneSFC; 10-19-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

MB 20's!!

Session Work
Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

That was a great time. Fun to hear all the different lines, and to hear Chris's take on each.

Also nice to hear the 13" Jazz Thin hats and 17" Brilliant Thin crash, as I'm looking at those for some of my next cymbals :)

Great job, everybody!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Administrator

Just returned...

Wow, that was so cool. I feel honoured that I could participate in that event helping out in the background. Well you noticed that in the first broadcast some things went less than perfectly but well, changing a few cymbals when you're trying to hurry up and you know the cameras are still on etc. creates enough hassle to screw up some things, haha. It was way smoother during the second broadcast.

Chris is such a nice guy - and a terrific drummer. What a powerhouse - but he can also play relaxed/laid back. He's very loose and cheerful all the time but was even in a better mood when we started the 2nd round. Plus, he's a great bass player, too! His MTD (Michael Tobias Design) bass is a hefty $7.000 instrument - and a beautiful one! It was definitely cool to see Norbert playing drums, plus they did a jam before the 2nd broadcast so I witnessed them jamming two times.

I liked and was impressed by each cymbal. Basically they all sound great to me. The chinas were really nice because they blended perfectly with the rest of the sets but at the same time stand out in their own right to keep things interesting. I think I'd prefer the Traditional, Vintage and/or Dark series.

Ah yes, I learned that Chris prefers that specific cymbal setup/those angles when we were setting up the kit and the cymbal stands. So I was assuming that he'd like to have them somewhat tilted towards him but the tilt was actually in the opposite direction. I didn't know why he was doing so though until he explained it during the streaming.

I also brought my Carmichael throne, just to present it to the guys to see whether they might like it. Chris briefly checked it out but said he'd need to test it some more for a feedback. For the streaming he used another throne. I used that Carmichael throne to park the hihats close to the entrance to the recording room for the cymbal sets that would be used next.

We had dinner in-between - the meals served were rather small portions but the quality and culinary indulgence was enormously high - that was the most gourmet type dinner I ever had in my life. I guess it took some 5 minutes for the waiter to read out the name of the dishes, haha.

Norbert told me that he's planning to join Drummerworld soon - not to promote Meinl but just to be there to answer inquiries relating to the Meinl product range. He's _the_ person to ask when it comes to Meinl cymbals. How cool is that!

What I took out of this event is the experience to see and watch a superb drummer in person, to make a few acquaintances. Also, Florian gave me the heads that Chris used for those presentations (that's a bunch of Evans 360 in the sizes that match my Sonor Delite kit dimensions) including 2 bass drum beaters - the one Chris used and another as an unused spare part. That's super nice! I didn't bother Chris to sign them.

Thanks everybody for tuning in and for your feedback!

Last edited by Arky; 10-20-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

What were the bass drum beaters? I noticed their unique color but didn't think to ask about them. I was honestly surprised at how decent the Classics Customs were compared to the Meinl video on their website which sounded pretty flat to me.

I was surprised that neither the China Crashes or the Filter Chinas were in the Gen X set, they seem like more popular models. Ah well, still a great event. And Chris's paradiddle exercise in the first stream was pretty astounding :)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Administrator

So you watched both streamings? Cool.

Chris was using a puresound Speedball beater (I don't know which beaters he would normally use though, I didn't ask him about that and also didn't ask about his impressive bass drum technique). For some reason Florian ordered 2 of those beaters. When we were doing the preparations I noticed Florian was using a saw to cut something to length but I didn't notice what it was as I was examining/preparing the cymbals that we were going to use. And when I was helping setting up the kit that beater was already mounted an I didn't see it. Florian cut it into the exact size with no excess length once the beater is mounted to the pedal (which was a pedal from the Sonor Giant Step range but I don't know the exact model).

BTW, the cymbals were all brand new.

Marco (the sound guy) told me that basically there wasn't any EQ involved (or to a very slight degree). The multi-channel preamp they have been using for a while now is the SPL (Sound Performance Laboratory - German manufacturer) Gain Station 8 - they use it for all their weekly live streaming lessons and basically for everything. The drums were miked up with 5 mics - the first 5 channels of the Gain Station 8 were labeled bass drum - snare drum - overhead 1 - overhead 2 - hihat. They did have some compression/(tube) saturation/low cut @ 70 Hz switches activated (for the overheads and hihat I think) and Marco also said that this SPL preamp tends to add some brightness by itself (personally I think it's more a kind of 'sweetness' due to the high standard of component quality/circuit design) so that also contributed to the sound being quite fine and not having any need to use (heavy) equalization. Overall they just had to get the gain settings right and slightly adjust the panning. (Personally I have 4 or 5 pieces of studio gear made by SPL and love it.)

Here's a link to that 8-channel preamp:
http://spl.info/index.php?id=137&L=1
Attached Images

Last edited by Arky; 10-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

If you haven't ever played Meinl Cymbals you are truly missing out on a great experience. Trust me I should know, I'm their longest running U.S. endorser for over 25 years. Great company, great gear and Norbert is a great rep. Check um out for sure. They are always coming up with great and new sounding cymbals.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Session Work
Old 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Arky you did such a great job! I also watched both sessions. I was going to ask about that bass drum beater which I noticed. It sounded very nice. Almost if you had mixed in a triggered bass drum sound. Very precise and clean with plenty of attack.

Everything sounded great and I agree that the second time Chris seemed to play even better. He was also super patient in answering all questions; actually him and Norbert both.

Thanks to Arky, Chris, Florian and of course Norbert for the awesome event.
Session Work
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Administrator

I agee on the bass drum sound - the dynamics were perfect/even and the bass drum (as well as the whole kit) sounds awesome in real. I was surprised how full and punchy the acoustic sound was (unmiked) - it was unreal. When we were listening from the control room we also had the impression that the perfectness of the bass drum strokes reminded a triggered sound. Florian said that the bass drum batter head was set up with a high tension so the response was quite quick and the sound would be right there.

Thanks for the snapshots.

We all felt this premier event was a big success.

Last edited by Arky; 10-20-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Borrowed that pic from Florian's facebook feed.
Chris and Florian jamming at Florian's place - with Chris on da bass.
When did they manage to do that pic? Also, I don't remember that room...

Florian is about to leave for the Montreal Drum Fest and a few clinics to be held afterwards (including the US).
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Maybe it's at his house? Just ask him :)
Session Work