DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Default Yamaha drum catalog question

I remember a Yamaha drum catalog from around 1985 or 1986. It had a top down view of a black recording custom bass kit on it. It featured recording custom, tour custom, tour, and the stage series. I remember everything about this catalog. I cannot find it anywhere on the internet. The catalog with the red kit with the drummer "exploding" out of the bass drum hole was released after this one. The one prior to this is the one with the top down view of the natural finish recording kit. Does anyone remember this? Can I get a pdf sent to me from someone?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Yamaha drum catalog question

LOL. on this page: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/yamaha_catalogs.html
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Thanks, double G. I'm familiar with that site- the catalog I mentioned is not one of the ones seen on that site. I actually have a picture of me looking at it around Christmas of '85. Again, the series featured were these four only: recording, tour custom, tour and stage. There was no turbo tour or power tour. The stage had a wrap option featuring a black wrap with a chrome grid design- that's not seen in any of the catalogs on the vintage drum guide site.

And the hardware design did not have the redstripe logo- it was a black and chrome sticker logo only.

Last edited by Arky; 10-21-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

AH right --- i think i remember that catalog. between 83 and '88 i guess. hmm.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM

This one? It's a bit damaged, but I think this is the one you're asking about.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Yes! That's it. And I just located it here:

http://www.drumarchive.com/Yamaha/

Actually, as I looked at the whole thing, it's not it. It's close- and most of the pictures are the same including the endorsers in the back. But the one I remember (and have a picture of me holding and drooling over) was a top down view of a black recording custom and it had the stage series with the grid design option. Also, the recording custom were cataloged in the front- this one has them following the tour custom series. And there's no Tour series with the art deco lug.

Last edited by Arky; 10-22-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

I'm pretty sure I've got that one. I'll look when I get home tonight.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

This is the same Cat. that Drumnhands posted. It's got Tours 1st then R.C.'s and Stage. It's the only one I have that has the grid looking wrap on the Stage drums. I've still got my PTC 5 Pc. They're great drums. Are you trying to get a Cat. or just want to know something about it?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 PM

I'd like to have a catalog or at least a copy or pdf.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

I have the one pictured with the ripped cover. A couple other catalogs too.

Jeeze, I SO drooled over the Black RC (with the white coated heads) in the earlier catalog (1980 pdf).
The shop has a poster of that kit and I tried for years to get them to give it to me. It's still on the wall of one of the lesson rooms.
Dang that Black RC is cool. It still makes me smile when I see one.

I'm still partial to the mid-80's system hardware, and the mounting pre-YESS. I had all that stuff.

I went with Ludwig (very happily) because of the bass drum size I wanted, and the availability of add ons, parts etc... My first (brand new) Ludwig kit was Black lacquer with Mach (long) lugs :-)
Old 10-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyokc View Post
I'd like to have a catalog or at least a copy or pdf.
I'll send it to ya. Are you in OKC? I'm in S. Kansas. Send me a PM with your address. You can send me a check for a couple of dollars after you get it to cover postage.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 AM

lefty2- I'll take it! Thank you very much.

Still, the more I've been thinking about it the more it bugs me. I know there was another catalog- it was THEE catalog for me and I'm guessing everybody has one like this in their memory. I remember my band director gave it to me.

Geez- what memories. I haven't been on a forum since Harry Cangany's forum years ago (I was drumguyokc then). I'm getting back to playing a lot since I took an early retirement from band directing to be a stay at home dad and I'm wanting some older yamaha's (wish I still had my RC's) and I was thinking of this catalog the other day...

A few more details I remember that are not in the one I posted a link to:

The tour drums are missing- the ones with the art deco lug. And the tour custom had a red stain (I don't remember the name.) That's not seen on page 34 of the link I provided. Also, the recording custom had the natural birch lacquer as an option so this has to pre-date this one. The mystery continues...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

What are art deco lugs? All of the tour lugs that I'm familiar with are basically the same(not including the newer tours). My power tour customs have lugs that are a little slimmer than the regular tour series. But basically the same design. I bought them in 88. They are black lacquer and really good drums.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM

I see they're also known as tail light lugs. These were on the Tour Series. The tour series was a wrapped option series. I remember black, wine red, and white. These lugs were also used in the late 70s I believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-Vin...item3f2a63bf10
Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM

And this is confusing because I'm finding out that most people are only aware of the tour custom series and often referred to as Tour only. But there was two different series- Tour Custom and Tour. The Tour was, in price and quality, just below Tour Custom and above the Stage Series hence it was listed third in the catalog I remember behind RC and Tour Custom.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-8000-...item3a86184a98

Here's a Tour Series drum listed, I believe incorrectly, as a Tour Custom. Notice the lugs, then notice the model numbers on the drums. These model numbers do not match other drums being sold correctly listed as Tour Custom. And the 8000 series designation is also incorrect as I believe these were 7000 series. (Recording: 9000, Tour Custom: 8000, Tour: 7000, Stage: 5000.)

This seller has several single drums listed from this kit- you can compare the other drums.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyokc View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-8000-...item3a86184a98

Here's a Tour Series drum listed, I believe incorrectly, as a Tour Custom. Notice the lugs, then notice the model numbers on the drums. These model numbers do not match other drums being sold correctly listed as Tour Custom. And the 8000 series designation is also incorrect as I believe these were 7000 series. (Recording: 9000, Tour Custom: 8000, Tour: 7000, Stage: 5000.)

This seller has several single drums listed from this kit- you can compare the other drums.
Those are definitely power tours of some kind. I checked my 13" tom, and it's model # is TT 813 F The lugs do look fatter than my PTC's. I should check into buying that 10" tom. That would go great with my 5 Pc. I've always wanted a 10 for that kit. If they aren't customs though, it would be wrapped and not lacquer. They might not match.

Last edited by lefty2; 10-24-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info