DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Default Bass Drum Pillows or no pillows

Do you use pillows or other muffling in your bass drum ?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass Drum Pillows or no pillows

No pillows. They don't muffle the sound...they obliterate it!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Just say, NO to pillows in your bass drum.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

I have a small piece of foam rubber at the bottom of my bass drum. Seems to get rid of the over tones. It barely touches the batter head.

At the bar I play at, the sound guy puts a pillow in my bass drum and puts a microphone in it. He likes a loud bass drum thump coming out of the P.A. system.

The sound guy is also the owner of the bar and he is the one that pays me. So I never say a word.............

Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 PM

Evans EMAD 2 batter with an Evans EQ pad is in my primary bass drum 16*20. I've got an old battered pillow that just touches both heads in my 16*22 bass and a small orthopedic pillow in my 16*16 bass.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

Another big NO here.

I will admit, however, that currently I do have a giant pillow in my kick drum. It isn't for sound purposes though, it is because I live in a duplex and I would like to continue to be able to drum in a duplex without police intervention. Without the pillow my kick sounds HUGE, and I made the decision to kill its sound after getting the drum all tuned up and realizing that a 24" kick has a massive sound too big for considerate neighbors. As much as I hate the deadened kick sound, I like not being hassled about playing drums (so far).
Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Depends on many factors. The feel you like, the head you use, and the sound you're going for.

I prefer a clear or coated ambassador on my bass drum, and I use some foam (about 2" or 3" thick and about 20" long) that touches both heads, and a small packing blanket or towel on top of that. Most pillows are too big for the sound I like.

If you're using a single ply head with no dampening, you're basically playing a concert bass drum. Hardly appropriate for most music.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
At the bar I play at, the sound guy puts a pillow in my bass drum and puts a microphone in it. He likes a loud bass drum thump coming out of the P.A. system.

The sound guy is also the owner of the bar and he is the one that pays me. So I never say a word.
He is also a mess and a sloppy drunk so that further adds to my no pillow policy.

I did used to stuff my kick with a large comforter and a bedsheet to quiet the sound for unmiked practice but now we have a PA in our home and I have developed much better dynamics.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
He is also a mess and a sloppy drunk so that further adds to my no pillow policy.

No. Before the show he is almost sober. And I am the one who removes the stuff out of my bass drum. LOL

Old 10-13-2013, 11:35 PM

My Saturn kick drum has an EMAD 2 batter and white Aquarian Regulator reso. Killer sound and feel, no pillow required or desired.
Yamaha 700 series hardware
Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

For the last 20 years or so the drumhead companies have been making great sounding bass drum heads, that have eliminated the need for a pillow...
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM

Aquarian Superkick II and Aquarian Reso head. No pillow!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

I play double kick, and without a pillow I don't get enough definition and the playing surface sucks.

1 for team pillow.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

No pillow for me.

None of my bass drums (22", 20" and 16") have a pillow in them. The muffling you get from a Superkick or EMAD is plenty for me.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 AM

No pillow on my Odery 22", small Evans pad in my Ludwig 16". Heavy blanket in my Gretsch 22", but I use this for practice and rehearsals, so no need for a big sound. But trial and error works every time.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I play double kick, and without a pillow I don't get enough definition and the playing surface sucks.

1 for team pillow.
Make that 2!

While I understand the "purist" point of veiw, the reality is for most live situations the sound tech doesn't have time to mess around with mic placement to find the perfect sound for that boomy bass drum. They want a tight, punchy THUMP that cuts through the mix and doesn't muddy it up.

I copy Gavin Harrison in that I have my pillow proped up against the batter head and just barely touching the resonant. I still get a massive, low tone but I just don't have a reso head the goes boooooooooooong for hours on end (much to the delight of the local sound guys. haha)

I've always been a fan of that old 70's rock sound (think Barriemore Barrlow). I love how it sits in the mix!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 AM
TwoCables

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans_69 View Post
Do you use pillows or other muffling in your bass drum ?
This is a very old photo, but it's still 100% up to date. :)

This is just two old bath towels rolled together. The head is an Aquarian Super-Kick I. I also use a black Regulator with no mic hole. I get a wonderful thunderous punch.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 AM

I've been using an Evans EQ pad for years now and I love it. Just big enough to give me a focused sound, but not so big that it completely kills the low end.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

I think that the only drummers that benefit from a pillow are the Metal players who need that click sound because of the speed at which they play.
For the music that I play I am happy with a PS3 or PS4, or an SKI or SKII with a controlled resonate head..
If I use a standard Ambassador or Diplomat as a reso head, I use a felt strip to dampen it.
Sometimes when I use an inside mic to record my bass drum I place a towel in the bottom of the drum and I set it to just touch both heads.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-14-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 AM

Three of my kits are wide open. The SKII provides all the muffling I require. I make an exception, however, with my DW Collectors kit. Still running an SKII but I use the pillow that DW installs at the factory. I'll put my trust in Mr. Good as the kick sounds great. With all that said, I've yet to run across an engineer in a studio who didn't want to shove something in the kick drum.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 AM
Gold Member

No pillow...

...unless you are planning on taking a nap between sets.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post

...unless you are planning on taking a nap between sets.
That's precisely why I have pillow in my bass drum!

Another pillow user here. I need it for my double-kick work to keep things clearly defined.

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 10-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Silver Member

I use one of those Evans pillows barely touching the batter. Emad with big foam ring and Aquarian regulator with port hole. Sound guys love it.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Gold Member

Unmiked, no pillow no port. I use PS3 reso and PS3, SKI or SKII batter, depending on the kit.

Miked, I use a pillow with a ported reso.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 AM
XplosiveDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
Make that 2!

They want a tight, punchy THUMP that cuts through the mix and doesn't muddy it up.
Make that 3. And I have to say the stereotyping of using a pillow or lack of understanding of how much a SINGLE standard size pillow lying sideways so that it only touches one head or none at all doesn't kill or obliterate the sound is astonishing. I can't believe how the majority of the posts are coming off about this subject. It's as if it's a "noob" thing to do or that it's something that should be avoided like a plague. It's ridiculous. Many drummers, well known, use a pillow and it helps ease the processing or recording of the bass drum as well, as pointed out by E.r.a. Also note that I said one pillow. Anything more and IMO even for metal, it's overkill especially if you have a head like the SKII batter head. Then you're not getting any kind of tone from your bass drum, just a solid nasty thud and/or click from the mylar. Though if that's the desired result, have at it.

10+ years ago and not knowing a damn thing about drums or drumming, I one day said I'd like a more focused thud like I hear in the music I listened to. I was young and didn't put two and two together regarding the recording process lol. So one day I decided to throw a couple of bed sheets into my Export bass drum to see what would happen. Eh, it helped but wasn't enough. So I laughed and said I'll try a pillow just for ****'s and giggles. Well I put on my headphones, that also supplied that "EQ'd" sound and had a listen. BOOM I immediately fell in love with the feel and especially sound I got from it both from behind the kit and out front while a friend played it. With the tuning of the heads, I got a nice deep, focused thud with just enough resonance left over for some tone. Since then I have never forgotten that result and have gone back to my trusted way of getting the sound and effect I am after.

Really the bottom line is, what WORKS for your situation and/or music. Obviously you jazz cats won't throw a pillow in the bass drum as you want and open, boomy sound to go with the open and live tuning of the toms. But for those of us who like a quick and focused thud for rock, funk, gospel etc the application of a single pillow gives just enough of the desired effect for some people.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM

18x24 classic maple kick. Smooth ludwig weatherking logo reso with a kick port for reso. Clear power stroke 3 batter. Nothing inside.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

No pillows, unless I'm recording and need a REALLY dry signal coming in.

For me, it's a 22 x 18 mahogany Yamaha kick, with PS3 on either side, Remo Muff'l ring on either side, and a KickPort. Resonant head tuned to the perfect 5th above the batter. Great punchy sound with a quick decay.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM

i have a small piece of an egg crate mattress topper in mine resting against the batter head.

i like the sound my bass drum makes.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM

I hate the way a bass drum sounds when it's stuffed with a whole bedroom suit. Blankets, pillows, quilts.

I was helping a friend of mine clean up a set of garage kept Mapex Pro M drums a while back. He took the reso head off to clean the bearing edges and proceeded to pull stuff out. His exact words were "There's a @#$% couch in here."

I have a thin pillow in my drum, and a port hole on the reso head. Depending on the sound I want, I can turn it sideways so it rests against either head, I can turn it long ways so it rests against both heads, and sometimes I take it out all together and play it wide open.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

I don't normally use a pillow or any external muffling outside the occasional felt strip

However, if I'm being close micked to a large PA system, I'll make sure I have a ported kick and the evans EQ pillow.

Last edited by wsabol; 10-14-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Renown, 16 x 24 EMad ll batter PS lll Reso one small 12x12 piece of carpet not touching either head. 14 x 20 Keller Shell custom, EMad ll batter PS Fyberskin reso small 12x12 piece of carped not touching either head.

The 12x12 piece of carpet is just enough to dampen the overtones from bouncing around in the shell. Great sound out of both drums. John
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM

I used to use a heavy car blanket. I recently tried something new. I had some 2 inch thick batting from the fabric store. I think they use it for quilting or seat cusions, or some such. It is much less dense than sponge foam.

Anyway, I cut some pieces about 8" wide, and a half inch longer than the distance between heads.

I started with 3, but am down to 1. They snug in to the bottom and take just enough overtone with just the one that it still has a lot of boom.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Ported reso head.
No pillow inside, but a heavy curtain that's folded. Kind of resting on the batterhead and - depending on the reso head that I have on - maybe touching the reso just a bit.

There are different solutions for different people / playing styles / feel preferences / sounds needed for band A / sounds needed for band B / blah blah blah

It is really tiresome to be talked down by drummers who only play the unported, unmuffled and wide open bass drums. I mean I love that sound too, but it doesn't really suit the way I play, so...
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

When i have to, i use the Simon Phillips towel method like Two Cables posted above, otherwise wide open with felt strips on the batter and reso. No hole.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

My bass drum on my kit has a kick port and nothing inside. Its a 24 inch and to me it sounds great. I play a lot of other kits and every one of them has stuff inside the bass. They each sound different but they all sound good enough. one even clicked a lot which I didn't care for. whatever it take to get the sound you want. I still laugh when I see concert pics from the 70's of famous bands with no reso head and a blanket inside. It look so stupid because they leave the lugs on the reso side on the drum. without any head, whats the point?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

I'm liking the sound of my 17 x 22 Stage Custom with a felt strip front and back. No hole in the reso.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 AM

I have an old WFL kit with a 22x14 kick drum that I'm still trying to dial in. I started out trying to play it wide open, without a hole in the reso head and an Aquarian SKII on the batter side, and I like to think I'm decent at tuning drums (hopefully) but I just couldn't find the sound that I wanted. I play alot of gigs where my kick needs to be mic'ed, and I wanted it to sound punchy so I put a port in the reso.
Even with the port in the reso head, I was still having issues. If I tuned the reso lower to get more deep, low end sounds, the kick would rattle....If I tuned the reso tight enough to stop the rattle it had too much high end for my taste...
I've since put a small pillow in the kick that touches the reso head, which basically eliminates the reso from rattling and lets me tune it low enough to get some meaty, thumpy tones out of it.

I hope its not blasphemous to put a pillow in a vintage kick drum...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

I didn't start playing empty bass drums until reading so much about them on here a few years ago. Seems to me that the dynamic range in increased with a lot extra balls at the loud end, so this is how I'm rolling now about 75% of the time.

The other 25% of the time, I have a DW pillow in there because as much as I like the more open sound and increased volume of a carefully tuned empty kick, there really is no substitute for the tighter articulation that comes from using a pillow.

I don't hear as much self-righteous indignation when it comes to damped down snare drums, though. Not sure why that is, tbh. Dry snares, dry kicks, and even dry toms, ... there are even dry cymbals - and mostly high end at that. There's definitely a place for dry sounds and it isn't just the metal players.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

there really is no substitute for the tighter articulation that comes from using a pillow.
Different tuning
Different heads
Different bass drum beater
Falam Pads
Felt strips
Clamp on bass drum mutes
Pratt Mufflers
Etc...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 PM

No pillow in my son's drums (22" has an Emad ring, and the 16" has a PS3). Being only about 100lbs, he probably does not kick as hard as most drummers.

He recently played a gig where a drum kit was provided, and I am not kidding you, the bass drum had clear heads and it looked like one of those vacuum storage bags!!!!!!! There must have been 30lbs of towels and blankets stuffed (I mean STUFFED) in there. Needless to say, almost no sound from the bass drum. It was mic-ed, and all you heard was like a click sound.