DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Default Show Me Your Cymbal Stacks!!!

I Wanna see all the kinds of cool experimentation drummers have done with their cymbal stacks
Also i have an 16" XS20 crash will it fit well on a Wuhan 18" China or maybe a 16"?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Show Me Your Cymbal Stacks!!!

I don't stack my cymbals. That would damage them from the weight, especially if I stacked ALL of them. I store them upright, on their sides, in bags. I don't see anything potentially considerable of "cool experimentation" in this scenario, unless people separate the cymbals by profile (most pronounced to flattest), on a large rod, and with cymbal felts between them so none of the edges touch any of the bows of the cymbals above and below them. That would be hard to accomplish with 70 cymbals, and a quite impressive feat. Plus, when you want to get the 60th one out from the top of the stack, you would have to remove the upper 59. Nope, that won't work for me. I'd like to hear about some practical, cool experimentation with this as well...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Here's one. It's a 21" Sabian Groove Ride over a 10" AAX Ozone Splash. It's mounted using a Gibraltar X-Hat arm...

Lo Res pic...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I don't stack my cymbals. That would damage them from the weight, especially if I stacked ALL of them. I store them upright, on their sides, in bags. I don't see anything potentially considerable of "cool experimentation" in this scenario, unless people separate the cymbals by profile (most pronounced to flattest), on a large rod, and with cymbal felts between them so none of the edges touch any of the bows of the cymbals above and below them. That would be hard to accomplish with 70 cymbals, and a quite impressive feat. Plus, when you want to get the 60th one out from the top of the stack, you would have to remove the upper 59. Nope, that won't work for me. I'd like to hear about some practical, cool experimentation with this as well...
Caddy, I hope you're joking...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Haircut View Post
Caddy, I hope you're joking...
OH!!! Cymbal ***STACKING***!!! Got it! Nobody does THAT anymore. I mean, shoot, I thought that fad went out with Pitch Blacks, vented snares, and cymbal springs...

;)

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

My main stack is a 12" Wuhan china with a cracked 10" Zildjian K splash.

You can hear incorporated into a beat here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwddaJ8Uk4g

The other stack I'll some times use is what's left an of old 18" Zildjian Amir crash, and the remains of an 18" Sabian HH thin china. I don't have anything I've recorded with that mixed. but hopefully that will change in the not-so-distant future.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Gold Member

i made one in a recording session... sounds amazing.

it's a 1960's 20" zildjian swish/china with an 18" meinl byzance extra dry thin crash ontop.

ill try get a sound file..
Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 AM

This one is kinda cool ...

A 10" Zildjian ZHT China Splash over a 12" Wuhan China, and mounted on a closed hi-hat stand. Using the the hi-hat device allows any number of options
in how you set it, I like to leave the top cymbal totally loose, it is like the metal equivalent of hitting a rimshot.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
i made one in a recording session... sounds amazing.

it's a 1960's 20" zildjian swish/china with an 18" meinl byzance extra dry thin crash ontop.

ill try get a sound file..
Thats a cool cymbals stack ya got their! I'm just wondering do they sit well on top of each other i have an old 16" crash that i want to stack on top of a china but i was wondering if i should get the china in 16" or 18"
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
Thats a cool cymbals stack ya got their! I'm just wondering do they sit well on top of each other i have an old 16" crash that i want to stack on top of a china but i was wondering if i should get the china in 16" or 18"
they're not sitting tight... i have to flip the china over to make them sit tight, to get a more hi hat, john theodore kind of sound.... this sound is just really trashy sounds like a china on steroids...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM

Ive never heard of cymbal stacking before, would someone be able to explain it to me?... I see what it is from the pictures, but why lol? Does it actually make a decent sound?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Gold Member

you know that really quick tight "tch" sound you get, that's not quite china, thats not quite hi-hats? that's a stack.... many more "metal" bands use them however benny greb has his own version of a stack thats more like a hi hat....

its just 2 cymbals put together, usually a china and a crash, or a china and a splash.

sabian make one, it's a mike portnoy signature "maxx stax" cymbal.

you can see blake richardson play one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGxAUBMZHY

also any of the drummers from the mars volta is required to play one, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNp95D4MFWM

you can't really hear it here live.... but you can hear it much clearer on the studio version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnFKTNC77I

also another kind of stack is the one used at the end of change by karnivool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCguKuLOEkc&t=12m46s
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Ahhh, okay then... Thanks alot dude! Now I know lmao. Although I could only watch the Video of Karnivool, as I only have my phone to go on the internet... Ill have to try it out sometime or something.
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

14" 2oo2 Crash under 10" 2oo2 Splash.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Silver Member

I use most of the Bozzio-style stacks. I tried some others, but the sound either was not that great, or they were prone to damage.

One stack that's not really visible is the "novochina"/ride stack. Possibly the loudest china stack on earth.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 AM

I have 2 sets of stacks on my kit! A 12' Signature China stacked on top of a 12' Alpha Splash, and a 14' Alpha China stacked on top of a 14' Alpha Crash. Idea borrowed from one Mike Portnoy. I want to try to make 1 or 2 more stacks using a 10' cymbals and maybe even make one like Terry Bozzio, when he put the bottom hi-hat cymbal inside the china cymbals!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

I'm curious to know the different types of sounds generally speaking from stacking. For example:

- Ride/China:
- China/Splash:
- Splash/Crash:
- Crash/China:

etc....

I've never stacked before, but I've seen lots of splashes mounted upside-down on crashes (not sure if there's a felt separating them or not). Also, by mounting thin cymbals such as a spash upside-down, wouldn't that make it prone to damage because of the angle you're striking the cymbal?

My curiosity is piqued. I love that trashy sound that guys like Charlie Zeleny get with the Tripple Raw Smash (or Portnoy's Maxx Stax), and it would be cool to incorporate that in my own kit, just not sure what combination would achieve that sound.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero Talent View Post
I'm curious to know the different types of sounds generally speaking from stacking. For example:

- Ride/China:
- China/Splash:
- Splash/Crash:
- Crash/China:

etc....

I've never stacked before, but I've seen lots of splashes mounted upside-down on crashes (not sure if there's a felt separating them or not). Also, by mounting thin cymbals such as a spash upside-down, wouldn't that make it prone to damage because of the angle you're striking the cymbal?

My curiosity is piqued. I love that trashy sound that guys like Charlie Zeleny get with the Tripple Raw Smash (or Portnoy's Maxx Stax), and it would be cool to incorporate that in my own kit, just not sure what combination would achieve that sound.
You do get a lot of percussive sounds from stacking. When you see the splash mounted upside down on the crash, there is usually a felt between the cymbal. Dave Weckl does this, and when he hits the splash it gives you your traditional splash sound! the Maxx Staxx are a trashy sound white noise sort of deal. Those are your crash/china, or splash/china deals. As for the ride/china deal, I've seen Terry Bozzio do that with a novo china on a believe it was a 20' ride. the sound is a washy, trashy sounding noise as well. I use the china/splash and the china/crash types as alterenate china's for the quick out of the way white noise, trashy sounds! Enjoy your experimenting!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Yes, finally a thread about this! Cymbal stacks are lots of fun, if you can find something that sounds nice. You just have to experiment.
I made myself a cymbal stack out of a very crappy stock 16" Crash i got when I bought the kit and got cracked badly by a friend, and the top part of some 14" Hi-hats , also crappy, also stock. They are very thin cymbals (or better said thin brass sheet, lol ) that didn`t really sound good as cymbals so i stacked them to get an amazing sound. It sounds simmilar to a thin splash or a china splash,it`s very trashy... Here`s a pic, it`s on the upper left of the picture, above the ride and auxiliary hi-hats.

Not sure I want to show you this recording as it is really sloppy, but it`s the only one i have. You can hear it the best at 0:19 and 4:07. Let me know what you think about it.

http://soundcloud.com/irod-2/mother-...drums-only-mp3
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Hi,

Here's a stack that I got an idea from Dave Weckl. He uses a 14" china and 18" crash - check the specs on google or Sabian site. He used to have Zildjian but went for Sabian so his stack can be found with Sabian or ZIldjian cymbals.

I have a 19" china boy which has a killer sound, that i wanted to mute and cut a little bit so I stacked it with an old 24" UFIP ride.

The picture is bad, but if someone really wants to see this monster better, I can take a non-cellphone picture :D

Aki
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Some great combos here guys!

Instead of posting the same pic heres the link to the original thread http://drummerworld.com/forums/showp...07&postcount=1

Paiste Twenty 16" Crash + Twenty 10" Splash. Love the trashy sizzle I get from it,
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Bit of an old photo of the kit, but this was the stack I was using (far right). An 18" A custom projection crash over a 20" Bosphorus Traditional China, both of which are cracked. I really like the deeper and lower pitched white noise that the bigger cymbals give.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Thought I'd post my recent discovery! Out of boredom, I took an old 8" ZBT splash that I hated and put it on top of an old 10" Meinl Classics splash, thought it sounded pretty cool, then I took some pliers to the ZBT and gave it a sort of 'sound edge' type thing? haha and it brightened up the stack and made it sound really good! sadly I have no use for this on my main kit with my band, so it's on my practice kit at home and I love it!

TM
Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM

YES! I LOVE Cymbal stacks! I've been obssessed with them ever since I herd Steve from Karnivool using one (Link in posts above). I noticed Thomas Pridgen uses one that sounds very similar as well. BUT, here's my problem. Both guys are using a load of cymbals in their stacks to get that sound. Is there a more affordable way to get that white noise vibe? I guess the ready made Max Stacks would be the obvious choice?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmwnf View Post
YES! I LOVE Cymbal stacks! I've been obssessed with them ever since I herd Steve from Karnivool using one (Link in posts above). I noticed Thomas Pridgen uses one that sounds very similar as well. BUT, here's my problem. Both guys are using a load of cymbals in their stacks to get that sound. Is there a more affordable way to get that white noise vibe? I guess the ready made Max Stacks would be the obvious choice?
You could just buy cracked or broken cymbals, I mean you don't want them to sound good, you want them to make white noise.

TM
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Stacked cymbals ... seems to be the dumbest invention in the history of drum sets. Sorry !
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverok View Post
Stacked cymbals ... seems to be the dumbest invention in the history of drum sets. Sorry !
What's the problem? Making use of different sounds is what we're about as musicians.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero Talent View Post
What's the problem? Making use of different sounds is what we're about as musicians.
I could not agree more. Weird that any musician couldn't see the value in this. Especially when we can use otherwise worthless stuff (like cheap cymbals or broken ones) to get there. It is win-win!

I've been actually going over my options lately to stack. So I'm glad this thread came up. I have a lot of broken cymbals and many splashes that I think I might use more if they were stacked. So keep this thread alive! :)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I could not agree more. Weird that any musician couldn't see the value in this. Especially when we can use otherwise worthless stuff (like cheap cymbals or broken ones) to get there. It is win-win!
I think you just answered my question. Cymbals are to be selected with great care for the ear and wallet ... each cymbal slot is precious, and to be filled with great scrutiny. It's not a junk yard !
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TableMuncher View Post
You could just buy cracked or broken cymbals, I mean you don't want them to sound good, you want them to make white noise.

TM
I actually tried a bunch of my own broken cymbals with no luck. But, after I posted my reply earlier I remembered I had a new Ride cymbal on order and that I would be retiring my old crappy ride. So, I used that old ride with a couple of other cymbals that were lying around and it seems to have been the missing piece! Its not quite perfect, but it's REALLY close. With some tweaking I think i'll have exactly what I'm looking for!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I think you just answered my question. Cymbals are to be selected with great care for the ear and wallet ... each cymbal slot is precious, and to be filled with great scrutiny. It's not a junk yard !
One man's junk is another man's treasure. You see broken cymbals or terrible sounding cheap cymbals as junk (I might have referred to it as that but I meant it in a favorable light), while I see them as another avenue to produce a sound. A sound that can not be produced by a beautiful cymbal. 'Beautiful" is obviously subjective anyway. So, while I understand what you mean by "precious" slot, that you don't want to take space up with a stack, that's your option. But man, some of those stacks sound nice!

Embrace all sounds for percussion. They all have a place, you just have to find it. And that's the fun of it.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM

I want to make a stack with a 14" Wuhan China...............what should I add to it to get a good stack ?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TableMuncher View Post
Thought I'd post my recent discovery! Out of boredom, I took an old 8" ZBT splash that I hated and put it on top of an old 10" Meinl Classics splash, thought it sounded pretty cool, then I took some pliers to the ZBT and gave it a sort of 'sound edge' type thing? haha and it brightened up the stack and made it sound really good! sadly I have no use for this on my main kit with my band, so it's on my practice kit at home and I love it!

TM
How did you achieve that cut on your cymbal? Looks like a nice bit of work and I'd quite like to try it :)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM

I don't have pictures, but I have a ZBT 8" splash over a B8 8" splash on an xhat stand. Once you get the right distance apart, they sound pretty nice. Barks like a dog.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I dunno, them hi-hats seem to be pretty popular....

In all seriousness, it's just a different type of sound made available. I'd see it as a kind of percussive element with an industrial vibe
Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

i only play sabian
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Gold Member

I'll have to take a pic tomorrow or something, but my stack is:

14" ZHT Trashformer stacked on an 18" ZHT China with 16 vent holes drilled in it.
I put them on a x-hat mount. The China is the "bottom" hat with the Trashformer as the top.

You can kind-a see it here, under the China, next to the Ride.

And here's a pic of just the ZHT China.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM

I bought a 10" a custom splash not too long ago but it was never the sound I wanted from a splash so it had sat round for ages in my cymbal bag

I randomly picked it up one day and put it on top of my 9" oriental trash splash and oh my god it sounds incredible! I couldn't stop laughing when I first tried it out it sounded so good and it was a complete accident!

I use it in literally everything- blues, rock, pop etc and it's never once sounded out of place (apart from when I tried to ride on it in a set and the band all turned round and stared at me haha)- it's great for little accents or use in fills/ solos
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 AM

No pics yet but I just discovered a B8 15" thin crash under a Stagg SH 16" med-thin sounds awesome!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:44 AM

I just got in a cymbal I've been planning to stack!

I got an older UFIP 20" Ritmo (older rotocast b20 I'm pretty sure) with a few rivet holes. It's definitely a medium to medium thin, and it's for sure back when the Ritmo cymbals were hand hammered. Anyway, I put that under a nice Bosphorus 20" paper thin Turk Ride. I'm not sure these cymbals will ever be separated from this stack.