DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 10-19-2013, 07:01 PM

Default First E Kit - DTXExpress?

Hello all. I have been a member for a while but this is my first post.

I am a pretty much a beginner drummer. I have been taking lesson for about 6 months. Recently my job has been requiring me to travel alot so I cant bring my acoustic kit with me. So I started looking at something I could get to practice while on the road. At first I looked at the DW Practice Kit (http://www.dwdrums.com/smartpractice/specialty.asp) but it costs $169 and does not come with a kick pedal. If I was gonna be looking at spending north of $225 then I might as well check out some electronic kits that I can can get for about $300 or so. The kit that seems to most fit what I would like is the Yamaha DTExpress. I have seen these going for $250-$300 on ebay and elsewhere.

The question I have is I have notice there are several different variations of the DTExpress. There's a II a III and a 4. Can someone explain to me what the difference is between the different types of DTExpress kits? Also if anyone can suggest another E kit that I can get for about $250-$350 that would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited by xcaliber501; 10-21-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM

Default Re: First E Kit - DTXExpress?

Well I found a used Yamaha DTX500k for sale at Guitar Center for $350. I even got them to throw in a new kick pedal. Also spent $40 for the 1 year warranty which seemed like a good idea for used equipment. So after all that and tax/shipping I paid a total of $440.

I ended up spending about a hundred more than my original budget, which seems to be par for the course when buying musical gear. but I think i will be pretty happy with this kit. Its newer than the e kits I was considering before and should be more reliable and have more features. At least I hope so...Looking forward to getting a chance to play around with it in a few days.