DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Default pearl icon for 100 or gibraltar?

in a local music store, there is a pearl icon 3 sided rack (not sure which icon as i know there is two models) pre owned for 100 with 5 clamps (not sure which model of clamp), it looks a bit scruffy, so does the shop, i have bought a few products from their like double bass pedal about 5 years ago and it is still going fine.

i am not sure whether to buy this or save my money to get a gibraltar curved front rack.

this will be my first ever rack as i have a small room where my drum set is, there is hardly any room for cymbal stands, i know with the gibraltar there is more customisable options (no leg snare stand etc) but i have seen a video from gibraltar diy on youtube on how to turn a pearl rack into a gibraltar (for add on things on the legs etc.)

this pearl icon rack usually goes for about 340 new in the uk and the gibraltar front rack goes for about 150 new in the uk.

i know that 100 is a good deal, but the shop is very small so i dont think i would be able to set it up in their to try it out for quality.

any suggestions? thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Re: pearl icon for 100 or gibraltar?

I have had a Pearl icon 3 sided rack for around 10 years now and love it...... It is well built and I have had no problems with it....... Terry

.......Bermuda.......
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

It just comes down to what you really want. I'm a Gibraltar guy, myself, but I've heard bad things about those racks (denting, stripping). I can say that my Gibraltar legless hat stand has some dents in the tube, but I got it that way used. I suspect that the previous owner was clamping it too tight. I haven't had problems with it since I've had it.

The pear seems like a nice rack, though, and that seems like a great price. Assuming the store has a return policy, you could always buy it, and then return it if you change your mind.

If it were me, I would probably go for the Gibraltar rack, just because I'm a brand whore sometimes, and I think they look a lot better.

But if it were really me, I wouldn't get a rack, because I hate them, but I won't judge you for it.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:51 PM

thanks for your help guys, i am going to purchase the icon today (if he can set it up in store for me) and test it out for a few weeks, if i like it, i will most probably keep it but if i want to have the desire to modificate it in any way i like i will probably sell it on ebay for 150 so i can buy the gibraltar curved front rack. atleast then i will know which one i prefer.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Charlie - Hereford? Do I know you?

What shop? Nilam?

Anyhow, 100 is a great price (unless it's the old black tube version). I use an Icon for all gigging, & they're pretty much bulletproof.

BTW, I'm playing the Victory next Saturday. The band haven't played that venue for over a year, so should be a good bash. Get there if you can, & introduce yourself. Always great to meet forum members :)
Old 10-19-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Charlie - Hereford? Do I know you?

What shop? Nilam?

Anyhow, 100 is a great price (unless it's the old black tube version). I use an Icon for all gigging, & they're pretty much bulletproof.

BTW, I'm playing the Victory next Saturday. The band haven't played that venue for over a year, so should be a good bash. Get there if you can, & introduce yourself. Always great to meet forum members :)
yeah nilam, what area you from? ill try get there if i can:)

i looked in there at it but it didn't have any feet with it and it wasnt in very good condition.