DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 AM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 810
Default Longboard vs Shortboard

Is there really an advantage of one over the other (meaning when you can get the same model pedal in either style, like with Trick or Axis)?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Soupy Soupy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 987
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Nope, it's all a matter of personal preference. I've found I prefer short over long.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,052
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

I've never played longboards so far but...
** Long vs. short is preference, and
** You can get top results with any board length and any pedal - if your feet are up to it. (With more and more practice I tend to forget that I have a cheapo/short board under my feet.)

As with anything (pedals included): You have to check for yourself to find what feels best for your feet. Nice to know that there's many pedals nowadays which allow for conversion so you can't go wrong with those. But ultimately - don't overthink. Practice makes far more difference than which pedal you're using.

I guess that one of the main differences between long vs. short board is long footplates create more leverage and might feel a bit easier at higher speed if you hold those speeds for a while, you can place your feet further down the pedalboard and the pedals will still produce useable power. Short boards should give slightly better response but take a tiny bit more energy to maintain higher speeds due to the reduced leverage effect.

Last but not least... The search function will reveal tons of threads on this very topic.

Last edited by Arky; 10-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Dre25's Avatar
Dre25 Dre25 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,081
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

You get more leverage with short boards... I find this is better for patterns where you have to stop and start/alternate leading feet. Personally I prefer playing with a bit more ankle, feeling some resistance and I find I have less control with long boards as the sweet spot is somewhat lost, or not as easy to exploit or something. Pretty hard to describe but I think of longboards to be like walking in skis, or stepping on two big wooden planks that remain somewhat flat, and so you end up having to 'stomp' your whole leg whereas with short boards you can use the pedal more dynamically.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
please do not take this advice for it is among the worst given
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM
toddmc's Avatar
toddmc toddmc is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 1,047
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Pearl Demons allow you to convert from short to long which is great. I've found I definitely prefer longboards for doing heel toe work (but then again I have a size 13 hoof)!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
You get more leverage with short boards... I find this is better for patterns where you have to stop and start/alternate leading feet. Personally I prefer playing with a bit more ankle, feeling some resistance and I find I have less control with long boards as the sweet spot is somewhat lost, or not as easy to exploit or something. Pretty hard to describe but I think of longboards to be like walking in skis, or stepping on two big wooden planks that remain somewhat flat, and so you end up having to 'stomp' your whole leg whereas with short boards you can use the pedal more dynamically.
Good explanation. I've found that I too have more control with a shortboard - especially when pausing between fills with both feet. After being on the shortboard, it took about 4-5 months to transition to a longboard. Actually 6 months since my longboard is a direct drive.

the default answer would be: Preference. I stay sharp on both in case I use someone else's kit with different pedals.

Longboards work great for heel-toe. But I can still do those on shortboards.
Preference...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 AM
scorch whammin's Avatar
scorch whammin scorch whammin is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Savannah, GA USA
Posts: 1,026
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Good explanation. I've found that I too have more control with a shortboard - especially when pausing between fills with both feet. After being on the shortboard, it took about 4-5 months to transition to a longboard. Actually 6 months since my longboard is a direct drive.

the default answer would be: Preference. I stay sharp on both in case I use someone else's kit with different pedals.

Longboards work great for heel-toe. But I can still do those on shortboards.
Preference...
For me it's the opposite.. I have more control with the longboards...played short boards for a long time and just recently switched to longboards...for me I just prefer the longboard and find the sweet spot to be bigger on them..so I definitely agree the answer would be preference...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
For me it's the opposite.. I have more control with the longboards...played short boards for a long time and just recently switched to longboards...for me I just prefer the longboard and find the sweet spot to be bigger on them..so I definitely agree the answer would be preference...
That's just what I want to hear after being on my longboards for about a year now.
Like anything - just time and practice.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,277
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
Pearl Demons allow you to convert from short to long which is great. I've found I definitely prefer longboards for doing heel toe work (but then again I have a size 13 hoof)!

I thought the only, or at least the main, benefit of a longer board is like you say - easier to strike with your heel while keeping your whole foot on the board.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Wackamole Wackamole is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 87
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

My experience, you can do everything with both, each will make particular things easier, and there's a bit of transition time getting used to one from the other (full time, not a one off, trading from long to short or vice versa)

I like my longs way better than my shorts but there are too many variables to say it's because they are longs. I got axis AL2's and swapped for my tama doubles, the el cheapo ones. All the other short board singles I've played have been the church kit ones, you know, the ones from the eighties that are soo light they're almost two dimentional...? So I haven't really got a nice short board comparison.

Personally though, I'm thrashing out epic funk double and triple single foot licks on my long boards, so I haven't found that they make non double stuff harder. That's all I know.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 AM
dam_mad22 dam_mad22 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
You get more leverage with short boards... I find this is better for patterns where you have to stop and start/alternate leading feet. Personally I prefer playing with a bit more ankle, feeling some resistance and I find I have less control with long boards as the sweet spot is somewhat lost, or not as easy to exploit or something. Pretty hard to describe but I think of longboards to be like walking in skis, or stepping on two big wooden planks that remain somewhat flat, and so you end up having to 'stomp' your whole leg whereas with short boards you can use the pedal more dynamically.
That was the best description I could ever read on this matter.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM
beyondbetrayal beyondbetrayal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 306
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

I have 2 long board pedals and just sold my last set of short boards (im a bit of a pedal whore)

but i find its less effort to play a long board....... i get more power from a short board. but every pedal has a ton of adjustments.... i can get power from a long board. i can also get speed and effortless playing from a short.

I prefer a longboard for heel toe but it can be done on shorts too.

i get tired less on a long board playing fast too.. but i'm used to longboards now.

try them both. or get the demons.. they can be both
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:08 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,277
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
You get more leverage with short boards....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_mad22 View Post
That was the best description I could ever read on this matter.

The quoted first part of Dre's post is wrong in a strictly technical sense, but the rest of it makes sense.
Torque is greater on a longer length level when equal pressure is applied.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/torque-info.htm
Torque = Force x Length
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Drumsinhisheart's Avatar
Drumsinhisheart Drumsinhisheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 455
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

If torque is associated with twisting or turning force, how is that applied to a footboard? Pedals are made with various bearing points, which rotate.

I haven't owned a longboard pedal, but leverage point from the heels would seem to make a longboard easier to move, with a larger sweet spot to do it, player to player, who play heels up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,234
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

I don't think there is any cut and dry advantage. It's simply what your foot prefers.

I recently switched from a short board (Iron Cobra) to the longboard (Speed Cobra).

I found that I don't have to work nearly as hard for quick doubles, like on a Latin pattern, with the Speed Cobra. I play mostly heel-down too. Overall, it seems much more effrotless with the longboard.

I occasionally switch back to the IC but I much prefer the SC.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 PM
bud7h4 bud7h4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 114
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I don't think there is any cut and dry advantage. It's simply what your foot prefers.

I recently switched from a short board (Iron Cobra) to the longboard (Speed Cobra).

I found that I don't have to work nearly as hard for quick doubles, like on a Latin pattern, with the Speed Cobra. I play mostly heel-down too. Overall, it seems much more effrotless with the longboard.

I occasionally switch back to the IC but I much prefer the SC.
I switch back and forth between my IC and SC every few weeks of practice. Each time I do I'm much better on the pedal I've just gone back to. And although the SC allows me to do bursts and fast patterns with less effort, each time I go back to the IC the overall feel is sooooo good.

The best I can describe the difference in feel is with the longboard I mostly feel the pendulum motion of the beaters (I don't like this), and on the shorter IC board the mechanical feel is more of the pedal itself going up/down. This feels better to me and I can control the pedals much better and play a lot more evenly.

On a side note: for those of you with IC pedals, try using the heavier "super spring" that comes with the speed cobra. Absolutely perfect! Tama part # HP910-7S
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 AM
CreeplyTuna's Avatar
CreeplyTuna CreeplyTuna is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ≈ Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 646
Default Re: Longboard vs Shortboard

I've never played a longboard for more than a few minutes, so I can't really compare, but there are plenty of pedals out there that let you adjust the footboard length. I'd go for one next time I need an upgrade, just to check out all the different features.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com