DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Drum Mic configuration purchasing question

Ive been reviewing Mic packages for purchase and Ive never mic-ed my kit. It seems many of the kits are 6 piece. In most of the kits I am looking at there are two condensor mics, a kick mic and three tom/snares mics. Most of the people I know run five piece kits. Is there a mic configuration Im not aware of that requires you not to have a MIC on one of your toms? If there isnt an odd configuration that I am aware of then why are the manufacturers not adding another MIC and charging slightly more?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Drum Mic configuration purchasing question

For studio or live use?

And are you running this through a digital mixer? If you are, then you could time align the signals from a mix of close mics and the overheads, but that doesn't answer the question on dedicated mics for every tom.

It seems like putting a mic on some toms but not others is a bad idea. Maybe a couple of directional overhead mics in a live setting, or omni directional overheads in a studio, could let you avoid a mic on every tom. Especially if you have the ability to adjust the frequency curves/inputs for each mic to balance the cymbals/toms/snare ...

Audiotech and others here can probably discuss proximity effect, microphones, frequency responses, and mixing. They can also steer you to some good resources. I can't, but I think you'll need to provide some more details on what you are trying to accomplish before you get really good purchase advice.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM

Just looked on musicians friend and noticed the 6packs.. i would only use that on a 4 piece

google drum mics, 7 piece. you need one per tom in my opinion.

for a 5 piece i actually use 8 as i ALWAYS mic the snare bottom for that nice crack sound.

on my 6 piece i took my 8 mics, used the kick mic and put it on my floor tom and just used a midi trigger for my kick . live you can put a mic between two toms and usually get away with it but not for recording.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks guys..Its very odd that many of the kits are six pieces. I will probably just pick up an extra mic as there is a sure set I really want.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 PM

Depending on what mics you get, you could try this. Obviously not close miking, but it will work.

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/glynjohns.htm