DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Default Amy Winehouse one year later

When we're asked here to name our favorite bands very few have women in them. I guess we all like the rockers or jazzers...me too. Until 2007 when I went to youtube and searched for Amy Winehouse. I had no idea that this would be the ride of a lifetime.
I've always thought that people following Elvis may be a bit odd. They aren't. He touched them in a way that transcended the music.
I am so fortunate that I was on this planet when Amy was. She was family to me. And she always will be.
I'm like most, I love the bands but don't go too far with it. Amy changed that.
Amy fans were so excited to hear her albums. Sixty years from now a teenager will score a rare Amy vinyl and feel the same joy.
Legend is over-used and sometimes meaningless but Amy will wear that title in time. Some say with two albums you can't be a legend. But if Leonardo de Vinci only painted the Mona Lisa, he would surely be a legend. Amy became legend as soon as Back To Black came out.
Thank you Amy.

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ludxpkyrab0

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Amy Winehouse one year later

I disagree. I think if that woman becomes a "legend" simply for releasing a couple of mediocre albums and killing herself through drugs, then imo it really is a sad state of affairs.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

There's a good basis for debate here. I think we can somewhat forgive those legends who drank or drugged themselves to death in the 1960s and early 70s (Joplin, Hendrix, etc.). Those were new and different times. It doesn't excuse their stupidity, but that won't change my opinion that they were both geniouses in their own right. It's 40 years later and we should all know better about the hazards of drugs. Amy Winehouse's music was decent enough but I don't feel much sorry for her, same for Curt Kobain. We all make mistakes, but... I don't know.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I disagree. I think if that woman becomes a "legend" simply for releasing a couple of mediocre albums and killing herself through drugs, then imo it really is a sad state of affairs.
I notice there is less vomit now on the floor at concerts, so she did make a difference during her brief time in the spotlight.

Successful people who destroy themselves will, unfortunately, be ridiculed.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I notice there is less vomit now on the floor at concerts, so she did make a difference during her brief time in the spotlight.

Yes - by the feeble-minded who's superior vision of themselves trumps any compassion or understanding of the plights of others. If anyone thinks that hitting the musical jackpot is all that is needed to be happy and well-adjusted, then they should be spending more time thanking their lucky stars. It is very often the case that profound art comes from very dark corners of the human experience. Some people live in those dark corners; they're not just visitors trying to look cool.

Now that I think about it, DMC, why would you bother commenting on a thread like this in that way? You are obviously just flaming. Pretty sure that's against the rules...
Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Why don't you guys go and try being around somebody that's dying? Believe me, it's not exactly the best experience you can ever have.

Get over yourselves.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Although that angle wipes out about half of my musical inspiration though Ed.

Poor old Amy wasn't the first and she certainly won't be the last.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM

well she didnt touch a drug in more than a year, i think thats good
Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 PM

I'm over people feeling sorry for someone who is/was an addict, and those that OD. No one forced 'em to shoot up or whichever means of getting the crap into their systems they chose. They CHOSE to do 'em. Period. Only people I feel sorry for are the ones they left behind such as family and friends.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post

not on my time. do you ridicule not famous people for addiction and mental health problems? grow up
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebandepicdotcom View Post
I'm over people feeling sorry for someone who is/was an addict, and those that OD. No one forced 'em to shoot up or whichever means of getting the crap into their systems they chose. They CHOSE to do 'em. Period. Only people I feel sorry for are the ones they left behind such as family and friends.
Some people obviously have no clue what drugs do.
Some people could show a little more elegance and respect for those who passed away, whoever and in whatever way.
Although I would 't say her music is revolutionary like Hendrix', Amy lives on on my ipod.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Administrator

The music will live on, liked or disliked. I understand some people need a crutch at times to be creative or to just get along in the world. But to overdose on drugs when the whole world knows they kill. Maybe pick another crutch, professional help, friends, family etc. I am tired of hearing about "accidental overdoses" They didn't accidently inject themselves. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the latest and knew exactly what he was doing. I too can only feel sorry for those left behind, and maybe if the tragic ones had put a little more faith in them earlier they wouldn't be left behind.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Different strokes for different folks. I never got into her music, but if she inspires you musically, more power to you. I'm sure there are a few members hear that would laugh at some of the musicians that have inspired me over the years.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

She was a great talent, like many others gone before their time because of substance abuse. None of us know what demons they were dealing with, sure no one forced them to abuse themselves but unless you know addiction who are we to pass judgement.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM

Exactly. It's not like these people have a whole lot of free will left in their situation. That's why we call it addiction.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

cult of personality...

walk away from the BS stacked around the music and stay with your personal assessment of the music itself.

Standing in judgement of anyone is error realized...I dont know the personal experiences of kurt, janis, amy...and really...I dont want to.

I'm listening to music not marketing.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Administrator

I think my criticism of her habit or drug use is just as justified as your use of idiot and jackbats to describe forum members. Everyone is allowed their opinion, and you may disagree but refrain from the name calling please. On a personal level I deal with anxiety and depression every day. I see a professional for it. The drug culture within the music business is just that most of the time. If you want to be one of us, use drugs. Climbing off of soap box.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

i was going to give a little history on amy. but i think i'll just post her cover of donny hathaway's more than you'll ever know. he was one of her influences. thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2giq8eorff8
Old 04-08-2014, 02:57 AM
Silver Member

was that me? not sure what a jacbat is. i'm bipolar and see two doctors.(one's a therapist) know what else, so was amy. i apologize to anyone i offended. i'm manic often. now every two weeks rapid cycling. i see the temper when i'm manic. i do my best. good luck on your battle G.
god is the judge.
thanks G

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I think my criticism of her habit or drug use is just as justified as your use of idiot and jackbats to describe forum members. Everyone is allowed their opinion, and you may disagree but refrain from the name calling please. On a personal level I deal with anxiety and depression every day. I see a professional for it. The drug culture within the music business is just that most of the time. If you want to be one of us, use drugs. Climbing off of soap box.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

one more then i vanish in the mist. not long after i joined here i (for some stupid reason) said i was bipolar. that didn't go well. not at all.

i use an ecig and haven't smoked in almost two years. i didn't learn my lesson and wrote a long post about my life on the ecig forum-suicide attempt, psych ward, meds for thirty years hospitalized for 6 days with a potentially fatal side effect and half my life unaccounted for. they just closed the thread after 6000 views and 400 comments. not a single one negative. none. i was amazed but still wanted to crawl under a rock.

ty drummers
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 AM
Administrator

No my comments were directed at someone else and thank you
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
No my comments were directed at someone else and thank you
Keeping the peace - I retract my statement and removed my post.

MM
Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 AM
Renegade

Not a big fan but I liked some of her songs, and Rehab was great. Perhaps the point is that we can celebrate a talented singer who gave pleasure to many people - more than most of us have done. We can't all live our lives the same way and, while many of us live our lives mostly on a gentle simmer, some burn with intensity for only a short time.

Neither is better nor worse. All of our lives are a sneeze in eternity. Whether it's 27 or 87 years matters only to those who are close and is no one else's business, apart from dedicated fans like Reso. Mayflies only live for 24 hours. Imagine some old fuddy-duddy mayflies judging the more reckless members of their species because they lived fast and died at 7 hours ...

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 AM
Silver Member

sorry this is a lot to read. my mother was alcoholic so i know the terrain. louie anderson, the comedian, father was alcoholic. he put something in his book and i had said the same thing. when he got home from school and would come to the front door he said i knew if my father was drunk or sober before i turned the door knob. me too.
amy meets blake her husband to be. she had a song and it said you loved blow and i love puff. blake's is finally admitting he got her hooked on heroin. he says i got her hooked.. time after time she said no, finally yes. she liked pot. no more.
amy drank a lot! but she had quit for 3 weeks. the coroner said her tolerance went down and the usual amount killed her.
she had clothes laid out to wear to a wedding the next day and was looking forward to it.
i said many times that if she got straight and married Regg and have the only thing she wanted, a family. that i would take a bullet for her.
at glastonberry one year jay-z was taking the stage when amy yelled you suck jay-z. later he laughed and said i've really made it, amy told me i suck.
amy was a child of god just like many. i never faulted her for her weaknesses--i grew up with those weaknesses.
the worst thing i've ever seen was her being carried out of her house in a body bag on a stretcher. we had close to a thousand people join the forum in one day.
therapy for two months i would break down. i'm no different than anyone but i miss that girl. she wasn't just an alcoholic or junkie. i'm 60 and i've learned that there was a generous person and as deserving of love as much anyone.
ronnie wood talked to her a few times and during an interview kind of nodded like she won't make it. tony bennet knew that he was going to fly to london to talk to her again. it was too late.
i used to laugh at people going to Graceland every year. now i get it.
if anyone reads this novel, thanks. i have to write, it's what i do.