DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Default Fiberskyn/Skyntone on a brass snare?

I got a 14x6,5 brass Mapex snare, and it needs a head change.
I've read that the Genera Dry from Evans is ideal for such snares because it cuts the overtones; but in my opinion nothing beats the looks of fiberskyns and skyntones, the snare would look stunning with one of them.
but how will these two sound on a brass snare? I mainly play rock music and I'm not in the mood to buy both the evans and the remo, unfortunately.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Fiberskyn/Skyntone on a brass snare?

The skyntones have some overtones that are not easy to control. I have one on a maple snare and It took me a long time to tune it in. However once I figured it out It is the best sounding snare I have ever played. I'm not sure about the newer Fiberskyn heads because it has been a long time since I have used them. But I used to have the problem with them getting tore up pretty bad on the snare. I'm not a heavy hitter either. Its almost like they are De-laminating. However I loved them on the toms.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

I hate the HD dry heads.

So lifeless and crap stick feel.

No idea about the fiberskyn though.

If you want to dry out the overtones just put an ambassador/g1 and use a control ring. This works best for my black beauty, which sounds about the same as your drum.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

I have a '59-'60 Ludwig "Super" that I had been having problems with. I tried several different heads and they all fit snug. Then a friend of mine had this Remo Skyntone head that he wasn't using, and I tried it. It fit better than anything I've tried, and sounds really good on this drum. I don't know how well these would hold up in a Rock gig setting, but I use this drum for low-volume gigs and it has such a great tone.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I have a '59-'60 Ludwig "Super" that I had been having problems with. I tried several different heads and they all fit snug. Then a friend of mine had this Remo Skyntone head that he wasn't using, and I tried it. It fit better than anything I've tried, and sounds really good on this drum. I don't know how well these would hold up in a Rock gig setting, but I use this drum for low-volume gigs and it has such a great tone.

I have used the Skytone on rock, jazz, folk, and funk gigs and it holds up well for me on the snare. I actually have had the same one on my snare for a year and a half now (I like old heads/not sure why) and it is still holding up. It is close to the point of needing a new now but that snare is played probably a good 20 hours a week.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

I've used the Skyntone on a few of my snares, including by Ludwig 402B, and overall I like that head, but it's very open-sounding. It's about as opposite you can get if you're looking for a head that might cut overtones in a ringy brass snare.

It does sound nice, though. You just might want to have a Moongel at the ready.

If you're looking for a little more control I'd suggest a single-ply reverse dot head from whatever company you really like. I generally prefer the tone of a single ply head on metal snares but I like the little extra "meat" from a dotted head.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM

woah, so many replies right after I ordered the Evans head, haha.
thanks guys. I figured I'd try the Dry head first and then if it sounds too dead, I'll go for the Skyns. Whenever I do this I'll be sure to record a video with both sounds!