DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

So, last night I had my first gig since I bought the tune-bot (keep in mind that all of my gigs are unmiked except for my bass drum). On Wednesday, I tuned my toms (10", 12", and 14") in my basement using the tune-bot. They always have a poor sound down here, so I did the best that I could. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring my snare home. I didn't have room in the car for my bass drum when I brought the toms home, and the practice room is a 30-minute drive away with very limited access due to it being the place of business owned by the guy who runs the band. It's worth it though because this is the best band that I've ever been in and he has equipment that makes hauling our gear as easy as pie - including my entire drum kit! This means that all I have to do is show up and set my drums up! When we go home, he takes them back to the practice room at his place of business with ease.

Note: my drums are Stage Customs from 1997, the original ones that were made before Yamaha began improving them. I had the bearing edges recut by Ellis Drum Shop here in St. Paul about 4 years ago, and a few years before that I retro-fitted my toms with the RIMS mounts that were made by Pacific back then (they look identical to what you can get from Gibralter these days).

So, I get to the gig, set up, and then I played the toms one after another. My 10" sounded a little choked, but the 12" and 14" were basically ok. Using the tune-bot, I lowered the 10" tom a bit and it opened up enough that I figured that it would be good enough. I mean, the room at this venue isn't very good for toms. I had to retune the 12" and 14" because the tune-bot showed me that my heads detuned a little. So, using the tune-bot, I tuned them back up and they sounded a bit better. Although again, this venue isn't very good for toms.

How long did that take? Longer than you'd expect because I kept playing with different tunings on my 14". lol I think I tried about 5 different tunings because again, that room sucks for toms and so it made it hard for me to get a good sound out of that 14" (the smaller toms had a better sound than the 14"), but this was a very useful learning experience. Although if it weren't for that, then it probably would have taken a grand total of maybe 5-10 minutes between all 3 toms for both the top and bottom heads because I had already tuned them up as perfectly as I could on Wednesday! The next time I do a quick re-tuning like this at a gig or at practice, it will probably take me 5 minutes to retune the batter and resonant heads of all 3 toms because now I have a better idea of what lug frequencies I want for each tom (and the snare, as I'm about to mention).

So then came the snare drum. I have been chasing a better sound out of my snare for as long as I've owned it, which is about 4 years now. It's a 14" x 5" Jeff Ocheltree "Heavy Metals" Carbon Steel snare. Out of the box, it was a wet dream both in terms of sound and stick feel. As I played with the tuning more and more, it got worse and worse. Fast forward 4 years, and now it's garbage. Or, it was! So I began by checking the lug pitches and yep, I was beginning to see why it had an ugly sound. lol Thanks to the tune-bot, I got the batter head perfectly in tune with itself. I did the same with the resonant side, first seeing why my snare sound was so ugly and then getting the head perfectly in tune with itself, or as best as I could thanks to the snare bed.

I also had to remember that Overtone Labs recommends that for 14" snares, we tune the lug frequency of the snare side 1.5 times higher than the lug frequency of the batter side, but only up to a batter head lug frequency of 266 Hz because they recommend not going past a snare side lug frequency of 400 Hz. Going past 266 Hz requires smaller differences, such as 299 x 1.33 for a perfect fourth resulting in a snare side lug frequency of 398 Hz, or 318 x 1.26 for a major third resulting in a snare side lug frequency of 400 Hz. They recommend keeping the snare side at 400 Hz for batter side lug frequencies higher than 318 Hz, but not exceeding a batter lug frequency of 356 Hz in order to avoid choking the snare with the top head. Exceeding a snare side lug frequency of 400 Hz can choke the snare from the snare side head and it can also over-stretch that head.

Fortunately, I had a calculator, but I was running out of time (lol I love how that sounds). I think my batter head was at like 320 Hz before I started re-tuning and my snare side was 400 Hz (whew), but some lugs were at like 380 Hz. The batter side was just about as uneven. It was an ugly mess. So, to save time, I just put it in the ballpark of the only recommendation I could remember based on some of the quick calculations I was doing before re-tuning the had: their "Perfect Fourth" recommendation of 299 Hz for the batter and 398 Hz for the snare side. I only had enough time to get the batter down to what I think was about 302 Hz or something (but exactly 302 Hz at each lug!), and the snare side had to be left at roughly 395 Hz at each lug (I brought it down way too far and I ended up having to go back up). Although, I couldn't get it to be exactly 395 by each lug because there were always two lugs that wanted to be much lower than the rest and I didn't have time to fix it - but I know how to fix that. So, even with this quick and dirty snare tuning, the snare sounded lovely, especially in comparison to the sound that I used to get in this bar that I played at last night. It really made my night! What's great though is that there's still huge room for improvement with my snare! I bet that I'll be able to get that "wet dream" sound again. lol

Now, in this band, my dad is the bassist. He and I have been playing together for at least 18 or 19 years, and I've been playing the same drums now for about 16 years. So, he knows the sound of my drums! Well, my dad couldn't stop raving about the sound of my drums, and they're just cheap 1997 Yamaha Stage Customs (made before Yamaha began improving them). Although, I do have RIMS mounts that were made by Pacific drums which look identical to what you can get from Gibralter these days, and I also had Ellis Drum Shop here in St. Paul recut my bearing edges and I always use clear G1s on my toms, but still. He was going on and on about how awesome he felt they sounded. In all the years that I've been playing with him, he has never said anything like this about the sound of my drums. He also raved about the sound of my snare when I asked him, but he was raving more about the toms because they were just that much better than they were before. He said he could easily tell when I was playing my 10", or my 12", or my 14". He didn't know the exact terminology, but I got him to say that yes, they used to be quite dead sounding. So yeah, he LOVED the sound!

I've been in this band for about 3 years now, and the other guys were raving as well - although, they're both the strong and quiet type so I didn't get as much out of them as I got out of my dad. lol But I could tell that they felt the same way that my dad did.

When we got home (yeah, I still live with my parents), my dad and I were still talking about the drastically improved sound of my toms. I don't remember everything he said, but the one thing I do remember was something like this: he said something about how they reminded him of when you hear toms on a very good studio recording that make you say things like, "Whoa, those toms sound awesome!" He also said that the improved sound of my toms and my snare seemed to make the whole band sound better and play better, including making it easier for us to blend well.

My dad also had a musician friend show up at our gig to see us play, and during one of our breaks he complimented me on my sound. Like, the way he said it made it clear to me that he was trying to make sure that I knew that he genuinely meant it. He said something like this: "and your drums sound good... really good". I could tell by the look in his eyes and the look on his face and his facial gestures and eye movements when he said this that he really meant it, as though he was adding "really good" in order to make sure I knew that he wasn't just trying to be nice but that he was trying to let me know exactly how he feels. It meant a lot to me because this guy is in his 50s who easily has at least 40 years of experience as a musician.

I spent $107.11 on the tune-bot (after tax), but I'm getting far more value out of it than that. My gig last night alone easily gave it more value than $107.11. I will never go back to tuning strictly by ear ever again.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,847
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

So would you recommend the tune-bot, by any chance?
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-06-2013, 04:08 PM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
So would you recommend the tune-bot, by any chance?
Actually, probably not. It's making me too happy and it's giving me too much enthusiasm about my drums (and everything drum-related) again. :)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-06-2013, 04:10 PM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 867
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

First off, great to hear a real world scenario where the tune-bot was used. I love it, and recommend it to anybody I can.

I have also found that two lugs are always out of wack. On pretty much every drum there are two, always opposite of each other, that don't want to play. I usually de-tune the rest and start with those, I have found that usually works pretty well.

I also detune the lugs around the snare bed. I will get the reso in tune with itself then back off the lugs around the snare like 1/8th turn. It seems to kill the snare buzz a bit.

Keep posting your findings with the tune-bot. I have learned something about how to use it from both of your posts.
__________________
www.reverbnation.com/stikpin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2013, 05:08 PM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
First off, great to hear a real world scenario where the tune-bot was used. I love it, and recommend it to anybody I can.
Thank you, Leo!


Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I have also found that two lugs are always out of wack. On pretty much every drum there are two, always opposite of each other, that don't want to play. I usually de-tune the rest and start with those, I have found that usually works pretty well.
Whoa. Up until now, I thought that I was the only one who was having to deal with this. lol Thank you for telling me and I also thank you for giving me a good tip on how to fix it. It sounds like it's better than the way I've been doing it. I don't detune the other lugs all the way, but I do loosen the others and I lightly tighten the two offenders but the method you described here sounds like it would get me even better results.

I wonder if this is caused by the quality of the drum. What drums do you have that exhibit this problem?


Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I also detune the lugs around the snare bed. I will get the reso in tune with itself then back off the lugs around the snare like 1/8th turn. It seems to kill the snare buzz a bit.
Oh, interesting. What are your lug frequencies for both the batter and snare side, except for the lugs by the snare bed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
Keep posting your findings with the tune-bot. I have learned something about how to use it from both of your posts.
Oh wow. I'm very happy to know that! Thank you! I promise that I will!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2013, 06:07 PM
XplosiveDrummer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Fortunately, I had a calculator, but I was running out of time (lol I love how that sounds).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqfs2L7rmc

lol... :D

That was a fun read man and nicely detailed on the process you went through while testing and tuning. Also it's great to hear your father take notice of the improved quality of the tone of your drums. Nothing to be ashamed about in regards to having dated drums, as a prime example from the results of your test n tune, you found a way to make them sound great and most of all you're actually out there doing what most dream about or are too shy to try. Like always, it's the drummer not the equipment. I really wish I gave the Tune Bot more time as I would have went in steps through each range of Hz on each drum to see where they really shined but I just began to feel too guilty having bought the Tune Bot when I guess I really shouldn't have. So I returned it a couple days later like I mentioned before.

What I really want to try next time, is I want to tune my 8, 10 and 12 to the same Hz for max resonance with clear Vintage Emp's and Ambo's and then tune my 16 with the top lower than the bottom to help with quicker decay. I also want to try a Diplomat on the 16 , with a clear Vintage to help shorten the sustain even further next time I replace heads. It may be a hint brighter but it will still be deep because of the way I tune it and should result in a very quick and fat punch to the sound of it. Oh the possibilities with this thing are endless! Anyway, thanks for the review and letting us know how everything went at the gig, Tune Bot use included.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 PM
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 747
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

that was a great read. a little confusing when you started mentioning the x 1.5 thing but i got it after the second read. i think i maybe have to invest into one of the tune-bots.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2013, 06:58 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,287
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Here's my problem with the tune bot. The loose lugs. Not disputing that the tune bot used properly can make your drums sound good. By all accounts, they do very well at that. And maybe there aren't loose rods all the time. That's great too.

However, I know from tuning drums that if you have loose rods...your drums could sound and feel even better.

Best case scenario, the head is cleared, the reso head and the batter head are at the respective tensions you like them, the notes compliment each other, and all rods on each respective side have roughly the same tension. No loose rods. No loose rods.

From my drum dial experience (read frustration, but eventually understanding) I came to understand that a 6 lug drum (for instance) has 3 "planes" that all have to be even with themselves..... and the other 2 "planes". The other 2 planes is the hard part. (an 8 lug drum would have 4 "planes") Pretty easy to get one plane even. Getting all 3 even with each other is the trick to the best tuned drum possible, IMO. Yes there are simpler ways to tune drums, but I'm going for excellence.

A "plane" consists of a lug and the one directly across from it. So a plane needs a pair of lugs. This is assuming an even number of lugs. Understanding the technical goal helps a lot. That way you have a clearly defined ideal of what you are going for. It becomes much easier when you really understand the way the forces are distributed on a circular membrane.
Like I said, best case scenario, the head is cleared, and all lugs have roughly the same tension. No loose rods. No loose rods.
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings
Mozart
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 PM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Exactly! I've never heard that song before, but after listening and reading along, I can say that it would have been the perfect song to be playing as our start time drew closer and closer. I thought our start time was closer to 8:30, but it turned out that it was closer to 8. I barely had enough time to go take a leak after I was done. LOL Got the time, tick, tick, tickin' in my head! Tickin' in my head! Tickin' in my head! Tickin' in my head! lol

I was laughing at the beginning when the chorus came up because of how fast the song is and how well it matches the way I felt toward that end of my tuning. Hilarious and perfect! Thank you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
That was a fun read man and nicely detailed on the process you went through while testing and tuning.
Thank you! I admit that I love working towards making anything I write easy to read and just as interesting and as engaging as I believe it to be, so it's nice to have that feedback. It's kind of like being on break during a gig, or tearing down and having someone come up to you giving you sincere positive feedback about things you wouldn't otherwise know but hope to be true due to striving for those things!


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Also it's great to hear your father take notice of the improved quality of the tone of your drums. Nothing to be ashamed about in regards to having dated drums, as a prime example from the results of your test n tune, you found a way to make them sound great
Thank you. I realize that I sounded ashamed, but I guess I'm mostly expressing how good I feel the tune-bot is because if it can do this for my low-quality drums, then I can only imagine what it would be able to do for higher quality drums - even something that's just a step up or two like a $700-$800 5-pc maple kit!


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
and most of all you're actually out there doing what most dream about or are too shy to try.
Do you mean gigging?


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Like always, it's the drummer not the equipment.
That's a good thing for me to remember because any sound can be a good sound if it's played in perfect time with good dynamics and if it's used intelligently!


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
I really wish I gave the Tune Bot more time as I would have went in steps through each range of Hz on each drum to see where they really shined but I just began to feel too guilty having bought the Tune Bot when I guess I really shouldn't have. So I returned it a couple days later like I mentioned before.
Oh no, what do you mean that you felt guilty having purchased the tune-bot when you probably shouldn't have? What made you feel that you probably shouldn't have purchased it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
What I really want to try next time, is I want to tune my 8, 10 and 12 to the same Hz for max resonance with clear Vintage Emp's and Ambo's and then tune my 16 with the top lower than the bottom to help with quicker decay. I also want to try a Diplomat on the 16 , with a clear Vintage to help shorten the sustain even further next time I replace heads. It may be a hint brighter but it will still be deep because of the way I tune it and should result in a very quick and fat punch to the sound of it. Oh the possibilities with this thing are endless!
You're not kidding! Check out this video made by Overtone Labs:

Drum Tuning 101: exploring different styles of drum tuning with Tune-bot - 7:29, 720p available

I think everyone should watch this. I learned that I might prefer my top head to be a little higher than the bottom head for a bit more clarity because I never have any of my toms miked up at gigs. Previous to this video, I thought the best tuning would be both heads tuned to the exact same pitch, but to a slightly higher pitch than I might like from behind the drums for the sake of projection.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Anyway, thanks for the review and letting us know how everything went at the gig, Tune Bot use included.
You're welcome, and I thank you for everything that you said here!


Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
that was a great read. a little confusing when you started mentioning the x 1.5 thing but i got it after the second read. i think i maybe have to invest into one of the tune-bots.
Thank you!

I will look at that section to see if I can make it clearer. If I succeed, then you'll be owed another huge thank-you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Here's my problem with the tune bot. The loose lugs. Not disputing that the tune bot used properly can make your drums sound good. By all accounts, they do very well at that. And maybe there aren't loose rods all the time. That's great too.

However, I know from tuning drums that if you have loose rods...your drums could sound and feel even better.
Exactly, and for this reason I am making a point to discuss this almost every time I talk about the tune-bot because it's one thing to get the all of the lug frequencies to be perfectly identical, but it's entirely different and superior to get the head sitting as comfortably and as centered on the shell as possible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Best case scenario, the head is cleared, the reso head and the batter head are at the respective tensions you like them, the notes compliment each other, and all rods on each respective side have roughly the same tension. No loose rods. No loose rods.

From my drum dial experience (read frustration, but eventually understanding) I came to understand that a 6 lug drum (for instance) has 3 "planes" that all have to be even with themselves..... and the other 2 "planes". The other 2 planes is the hard part. (an 8 lug drum would have 4 "planes") Pretty easy to get one plane even. Getting all 3 even with each other is the trick to the best tuned drum possible, IMO. Yes there are simpler ways to tune drums, but I'm going for excellence.

A "plane" consists of a lug and the one directly across from it. So a plane needs a pair of lugs. This is assuming an even number of lugs. Understanding the technical goal helps a lot. That way you have a clearly defined ideal of what you are going for. It becomes much easier when you really understand the way the forces are distributed on a circular membrane.
Like I said, best case scenario, the head is cleared, and all lugs have roughly the same tension. No loose rods. No loose rods.
Yep, and I believe that this is what Buddy Rich may have been talking about when he said that he tunes only by tension.

Last edited by TwoCables; 10-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 AM
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 747
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Thank you!

I will look at that section to see if I can make it clearer. If I succeed, then you'll be owed another huge thank-you!
no problemo bud! i will be looking forward next week when i buy one
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 AM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
no problemo bud! i will be looking forward next week when i buy one
Me too!

What drums do you have?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 AM
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 747
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Me too!

What drums do you have?
2009 dw eco-x
early 2000 tama rockstar
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2013, 04:02 AM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
2009 dw eco-x
early 2000 tama rockstar
omg. I bet those Eco-X's have an amazing sound already, but will likely have an even better sound once the heads are perfectly in tune with themselves. Is their sound as beautiful as their appearance?

I've heard the Rockstar in person, and they are definitely not bad at all. I bet these would have a relatively killer sound after you tune them with the help of the tune-bot too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 AM
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 747
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
omg. I bet those Eco-X's have an amazing sound already, but will likely have an even better sound once the heads are perfectly in tune with themselves. Is their sound as beautiful as their appearance?

I've heard the Rockstar in person, and they are definitely not bad at all. I bet these would have a relatively killer sound after you tune them with the help of the tune-bot too.
i love my eco-x kit. its everything i was looking for. they sound good with the stock heads and even better with evans on them.

the rockstars, are also decent after you change the heads on them. i have G2 on the top and G1 on the bottoms. makes a world of a difference...

heres a vid of a magazine did for them...

http://view.ceros.com/lick-library/i...-issue-21/p/29
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM
XplosiveDrummer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Exactly! I've never heard that song before, but after listening and reading along, I can say that it would have been the perfect song to be playing as our start time drew closer and closer. I thought our start time was closer to 8:30, but it turned out that it was closer to 8. I barely had enough time to go take a leak after I was done. LOL Got the time, tick, tick, tickin' in my head! Tickin' in my head! Tickin' in my head! Tickin' in my head! lol

I was laughing at the beginning when the chorus came up because of how fast the song is and how well it matches the way I felt toward that end of my tuning. Hilarious and perfect! Thank you.
Haha! I was hoping you'd get a kick out of that song, no pun intended.... ok yeah pun intended, why not. ;)

Never really got into Anthrax too much, I heard a couple songs back in the 90's and ended up buying their "Best Of" album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Thank you. I realize that I sounded ashamed, but I guess I'm mostly expressing how good I feel the tune-bot is because if it can do this for my low-quality drums, then I can only imagine what it would be able to do for higher quality drums - even something that's just a step up or two like a $700-$800 5-pc maple kit!
Yeah sorry, I certainly didn't mean you were ashamed, it was just in the context of how you wrote it. Honestly, if you had the edges re-done and if the rims are flush and sit well I can't imagine how much of a difference there would be to a new intermediate kit, maple or birch. What are your Customs made of? In fact because you had the shells re-cut and if done well, they may in fact be more true than what most get from the factory of house hold name brand drums. Well, not custom made drums, more so shells that are pumped out left and right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Do you mean gigging?
Yeah for sure! I felt like throwing up everywhere just playing songs with a friend of mine years ago lol! We would switch up and play our favorite songs after school on my kit at the house, great times. I can't even imagine doing something like the GC Drum Off or especially a gig! Though what's really cool is you get to jam with your father of all things. :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Oh no, what do you mean that you felt guilty having purchased the tune-bot when you probably shouldn't have? What made you feel that you probably shouldn't have purchased it?
Just that because work was slow and with money being tight it was just something that I felt money was needlessly spent on. $100 to have something sit there that I wouldn't use all too often or just for tuning was not a good idea at the time. It's cool though, at least I got to try it and I know for a fact that I liked it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
You're not kidding! Check out this video made by Overtone Labs:

Drum Tuning 101: exploring different styles of drum tuning with Tune-bot - 7:29, 720p available

I think everyone should watch this. I learned that I might prefer my top head to be a little higher than the bottom head for a bit more clarity because I never have any of my toms miked up at gigs. Previous to this video, I thought the best tuning would be both heads tuned to the exact same pitch, but to a slightly higher pitch than I might like from behind the drums for the sake of projection.
Yeah that's a nice video, was checking that out from the ones you listed in another thread. Also yes I too used the Tune Bot calculator or chart when I had it. It helped get me in a ballpark quick with the Hz range of each drum.

Actually I just wonder if what I read or heard holds true? I forget who it was that I got this from. I never really tried to tune that way but I swear I remember someone saying, batter for feel and reso for tone or pitch. I always went by the type of "pitch bend" you want out of a drum so naturally I tuned the top to be looser than the bottom for that downward pitch bend. While I can do diddles just fine on batters that are JAW, I find I'd like them a bit tighter for easier diddles and clarity and fear tuning the reso lower to keep the drum at a low pitch because of a weird pitch bend or after effect. That would be something to try with the Bot next time as well.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Mark_S's Avatar
Mark_S Mark_S is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Leicester, England, U.K.
Posts: 590
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

So is it better than using a drum dial? If so I think I might have to get one.... I never found the drum dial that great, I sort of used it more as a sanity check.

I failed the check.
__________________
Sonor S-Class Pro, Premier XPK / Signia, Paiste cymbals, Yamaha DTX750
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Headshrinker's Avatar
Headshrinker Headshrinker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neverlands
Posts: 51
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
No loose rods. No loose rods.
You probably know this way better than I do, but I'll say it anyhow:

Quote:
Small increments. Small increments.
With or without tune-bot: don't go for that desired lug pitch too directly. Very small turns on those tension rods, taking you only a tiny step closer to where you want to be, are the way to go... Go 'round, repeat, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 947
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
With or without tune-bot: don't go for that desired lug pitch too directly. Very small turns on those tension rods, taking you only a tiny step closer to where you want to be, are the way to go... Go 'round, repeat, etc.

Exactly correct !

.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 AM
EricT43 EricT43 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 186
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

I've also gotten very good results tuning by lug frequency. I don't use a Tune-Bot, though, I bought a $4.99 app for my iPhone that does the same thing (iDrumTech). After some experimentation with different tunings, I created presets for each of my drums and now it's really quick and easy to tune them up.

Experimentation is much easier with a device like this. In the past I would just stumble around until the drum sounded un-shitty, and stop there, because I didn't know what made it sound better. I'm not afraid to try lots of different batter/reso tuning combinations now, because if what I try doesn't sound good, it's easy to get back to where I had it before. It's a great learning tool.

The app, and I think the Drum-Bot also, has a calculator for the frequencies. You enter the desired overall pitch of the drum, whether you want the reso higher or lower than the batter, and how much sustain you want (max sustain = equal tunings top and bottom), and it calculates the frequencies for the batter and reso heads. Then you just point your phone mic at each lug and keep going round until they are all about equal and close to the right frequency.

I'd recommend to anyone to get one of the phone apps, or a Tune-Bot if you want a dedicated device. However, I wouldn't recommend becoming too dependent on it. Use it to develop your tuning skills and your ear so that you can do it without the Bot/app. I still rely on mine because I get the best results that way, but I'm practicing tuning without it. You can't tune the drums on the kit with these things, because you need the opposite head to be muffled. Try muffling the bottom of your 12" rack tom, while holding the device in your other hand, and now you're out of arms and you can't even tap the drum to check the frequency.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 AM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 867
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Here's my problem with the tune bot. The loose lugs. Not disputing that the tune bot used properly can make your drums sound good. By all accounts, they do very well at that. And maybe there aren't loose rods all the time. That's great too.

However, I know from tuning drums that if you have loose rods...your drums could sound and feel even better.

Best case scenario, the head is cleared, the reso head and the batter head are at the respective tensions you like them, the notes compliment each other, and all rods on each respective side have roughly the same tension. No loose rods. No loose rods.

From my drum dial experience (read frustration, but eventually understanding) I came to understand that a 6 lug drum (for instance) has 3 "planes" that all have to be even with themselves..... and the other 2 "planes". The other 2 planes is the hard part. (an 8 lug drum would have 4 "planes") Pretty easy to get one plane even. Getting all 3 even with each other is the trick to the best tuned drum possible, IMO. Yes there are simpler ways to tune drums, but I'm going for excellence.

A "plane" consists of a lug and the one directly across from it. So a plane needs a pair of lugs. This is assuming an even number of lugs. Understanding the technical goal helps a lot. That way you have a clearly defined ideal of what you are going for. It becomes much easier when you really understand the way the forces are distributed on a circular membrane.
Like I said, best case scenario, the head is cleared, and all lugs have roughly the same tension. No loose rods. No loose rods.
The tune bot does not leave loose lugs like the drum dial would. I had the same issues with the drum dial and eventually ditched it. The tune bot works in a completely different manner. Every lug is tightened to the same level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I wonder if this is caused by the quality of the drum. What drums do you have that exhibit this problem?
I play a Tama Superstar. Not the best quality kit, but I like how it cuts through.
__________________
www.reverbnation.com/stikpin
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Edit: I just looked at my post. Apparently, I didn't know how long this post had become!


Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
i love my eco-x kit. its everything i was looking for. they sound good with the stock heads and even better with evans on them.

the rockstars, are also decent after you change the heads on them. i have G2 on the top and G1 on the bottoms. makes a world of a difference...

heres a vid of a magazine did for them...

http://view.ceros.com/lick-library/i...-issue-21/p/29
Wow. Those are like the Collector's Series with Bamboo/birch shells!


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Haha! I was hoping you'd get a kick out of that song, no pun intended.... ok yeah pun intended, why not. ;)

Never really got into Anthrax too much, I heard a couple songs back in the 90's and ended up buying their "Best Of" album.
I only knew them for "I'm the Man" :) I loved that song!


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Yeah sorry, I certainly didn't mean you were ashamed, it was just in the context of how you wrote it.
Yeah, I agree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Honestly, if you had the edges re-done and if the rims are flush and sit well I can't imagine how much of a difference there would be to a new intermediate kit, maple or birch.
Whoa, wait a minute. I haven't thought about replacing the rims! Omg. That may be the last step to getting the very best out of these crappy shells that I can possibly get. I already have the RIMS mounts, I already have better bearing edges, I have the tune-bot now, so all that may be left are better rims. Oh, and Level 360 clear G1s. :) My toms are way overdue for new heads, by about 4 years! You should hear them when I'm tuning. Omg. They sound fine when played, but the sound I get by some of the lugs is butt-ugly. lol

I'm going to make a new thread about this, but for now, what do you think would happen to my tom sound if I were to replace my 1.6 mm stock rims with 2.3 mm rims? Would it reduce my sustain and resonance at all? Or, should I just get new 1.6 mm rims? I might get them from DrumFactoryDirect.com, but I only discovered about them 5 minutes ago when looking for a 14" 6-hole rim. Guitar Center/Musician's Friend doesn't have any on their sites, although I would bet that Ellis Drum Shop here in St. Paul has some. It's a great drum shop!


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
What are your Customs made of?
Birch/Philippine Mahogany/Falkata, but it was the shell they were making before they improved the build quality at all. I can even squeeze the sides of my 14"x12" and change the shape enough that I can hear it, but I can't see it. In fact, if that tom is having problems, I squeeze it, play it, squeeze a different part of it, play it, etc until it produces a better sound. So, I'm relying mostly on the bearing edges, heads, the rims, and also on how round I can get my 14" tom to be. lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
In fact because you had the shells re-cut and if done well, they may in fact be more true than what most get from the factory of house hold name brand drums. Well, not custom made drums, more so shells that are pumped out left and right.
Yeah, I thought about that. Although, I have my eyes on the PDP Concept Maple Series. If they're good enough for many professionals including Marco Minneman (on occasion when he can't get the Collector's Series to his gig), then they're certainly good enough for me and the bearing edges are probably better than mine are right now. However, I don't have any way to judge my bearing edges other than the sound.

Speaking of which, I remember when I played them the very first time after having the bearing edges recut: I noticed a fairly big improvement in the sound and in the sensitivity. They even felt a little better to play. So, I guess that means they did a very good job, and they should have because this drum shop makes their own super high-end drums. They make them by hand in the basement of their drum shop and that's where they recut my bearing edges.

Still, my shells leave a LOT to be desired. At this drum shop I am talking about, I tuned up and then played a Mapex Meridian Maple in a 10", 12", 14", 16", 22" configuration and they had a significantly better sound than mine. My heart went pitter-patter, but I couldn't afford them. I just wanted to see what I would be getting if I could.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Yeah for sure! I felt like throwing up everywhere just playing songs with a friend of mine years ago lol! We would switch up and play our favorite songs after school on my kit at the house, great times. I can't even imagine doing something like the GC Drum Off or especially a gig! Though what's really cool is you get to jam with your father of all things. :)
Playing on stage with a band is easy because I can "hide" behind the music, which is where I strongly prefer to be. My band wants me to do a solo, but I am not a solo drummer. I need something to play along to in order to be comfortable on stage in front of people. For example, I could do a drum solo if the band were to accompany me with something in order to give me something to play to for my solo, kind of like what Dave Weckl does in a lot of the songs he plays (where he'll start soloing while the band just plays a repeating pattern over and over that he can just zone out on).

I think that my band is trying to get my feet wet though. We're doing Cheap Trick's version of Ain't That a Shame (Live at Budokan), and it starts off with a long drum intro that's kind of like a very simple solo. Well, I hate it. lol Whenever I do it, I think I sound like some extremely inexperienced amateur. I need something to play along to, big time. They think I sound just fine, but I strongly disagree. I am gonna have to start playing to the chorus or something in my head while doing the intro because right now it has nothing behind it - at least from my perspective.

You're right about being able to play with my dad, and it's something that I just don't know how to appreciate because I'm in the middle of it. If I were an outsider, then I'd be like, "Omg, that's the coolest thing in the world". I guess I'm taking it for granted or something, or maybe I'm just seeing it as no big deal because it feels meant to be. I dunno. lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Just that because work was slow and with money being tight it was just something that I felt money was needlessly spent on. $100 to have something sit there that I wouldn't use all too often or just for tuning was not a good idea at the time. It's cool though, at least I got to try it and I know for a fact that I liked it!
Oh, yeah, I see now. For me though, this thing is an investment. It's true peace of mind. Unlike most drummers, I am proving to myself that I need it. The only way I would part with this thing is either by completely losing my ability to play, or by dying. I'm quite serious.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Yeah that's a nice video, was checking that out from the ones you listed in another thread. Also yes I too used the Tune Bot calculator or chart when I had it. It helped get me in a ballpark quick with the Hz range of each drum.

Actually I just wonder if what I read or heard holds true? I forget who it was that I got this from. I never really tried to tune that way but I swear I remember someone saying, batter for feel and reso for tone or pitch.
It could have been Bob Gatzen. If it wasn't him, then it might have been in The Drum Tuning Bible or something like it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
I always went by the type of "pitch bend" you want out of a drum so naturally I tuned the top to be looser than the bottom for that downward pitch bend. While I can do diddles just fine on batters that are JAW,
Wait, what's "JAW"?


Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
I find I'd like them a bit tighter for easier diddles and clarity and fear tuning the reso lower to keep the drum at a low pitch because of a weird pitch bend or after effect. That would be something to try with the Bot next time as well.
For me, I can't tune the resonant head higher than the batter because my toms are never miked. So, even though a Low/High pitch relationship sounds good from behind the kit, it sounds dead just 10 feet away, and I think that it's due to the low pitch of the batter head. So, the best tunings without mics would be both heads tuned to the exact same pitch, or the batter head slightly higher than the resonant head. This helps with projection, meaning it might sound better 10 feet away than from right behind the kit. Also, when the rest of the band is playing and you play your toms, they sound much better and clearer. It's like my dad said, he had never noticed before, but my toms used to be quite dead and he could rarely tell which tom I was playing. He said that after I tuned them up using the tune-bot, he could hear each one very clearly. He was LOVING the sound of my toms.

What my dad doesn't know is, my previous tuning was VERY similar to what the tune-bot website's calculator recommends for "Low Resonance" with the batter lower than the resonant. With the tune-bot, I aimed for the same pitch on both the batter and resonant side, tuned somewhat high but just under that point where the resonance starts getting shorter. I was never able to do this by ear before because I didn't know which pitch to use and I am too impatient to keep trying new pitches due to needing to re-tune by ear after each adjustment. Of course, the tune-bot makes that become extremely easy, and so I nailed it. Anyway, so my theory is that he was liking them because the batter head was tuned much higher than before. I mean for example, I think the batter on my 12" was somewhere in the low 130s and the resonant was like 260 or 270 something. I don't remember. It was a big gap, but it sounded decent from behind the kit. The new tuning was 185 Hz on both sides, or perhaps it was closer to 182 - I'm not sure right now. So yeah, going from the low 130s on the batter side all the way up to about 185 Hz. That must be why he liked it so much - meaning, it was projecting much better.

Therefore, I'm considering trying a High/Low pitch relationship. Like, maybe 195 over 175. I'm not really sure

However again, my toms are never miked and so I need the most resonance that I can get out of my toms for the sake of projecting the singing quality that toms have. This also requires a slightly higher pitch than I would like, which sucks. lol I'm used to it though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
So is it better than using a drum dial? If so I think I might have to get one.... I never found the drum dial that great, I sort of used it more as a sanity check.

I failed the check.
I had the Tension Watch many years ago, and I would say that there is no comparison whatsoever. I mean, the tune-bot does exactly what your ears and your brain do together, only it does so with 100% precision because the tune-bot's brain is a computer and its ears are a specially-designed microphone. However, it doesn't replace your ears and your brain. I mean, it's exactly like a guitar tuner in every way, except we still have to judge the sound for ourselves due to the very nature of drums and heads (and shells, and rims, etc. etc. etc.). With a guitar, you just tune it until the guitar tuner says your strings are in tune and then you're ready to go. With the tune-bot, you still have to play the drum in order to see if you like the sound. Of course, once you find your favorite sound from your drum, you just save it in the tune-bot. This is when the tune-bot can be EXACTLY like a guitar tuner. Let me explain.

Let's say you buy the tune-bot. Now, let's say that you retune your drums many times with the tune-bot during the week that follows, just for the sake of finding the very best sound from your drums. Once you find it, you save it in the tune-bot (and the save feature is so awesome that I'll explain it in a little bit). The next time you need to retune, all you have to do is load up the Save Slot for that drum, turn on Difference Mode and start tapping around the lugs. It will tell you how different the reading is from the frequency in that Save slot. It gives you a digital needle just like the physical needle in a guitar tuner, and it also tells you exactly how different the reading is from the reading that you saved in that Save Slot. If it's dead on, then you see "000.0" and the digital needle is perfectly centered. If the lug is 1 Hz too low, then you will see "-001.0" and the needle will be to the left of the center by just a little bit. If it's 1 Hz too high, then you'll see "001.0", and the the needle will be to the right of center by just a little bit.

Now, sometimes it's off by only only a fraction of a Hertz, and the tune-bot will always display this fraction as "000.5" (the original version of the tune-bot was more precise, showing 000.1, 000.2, 000.3, 000.4, etc. etc. etc., but that level of precision would be irritating and misleading because then you'd almost never see "000.0", and so they figured it would be best to rely more on the needle for those tiny differences, which are just about impossible to discern by ear). The needle becomes more important to watch at this point because sometimes you'll see "000.5" with the needle dead center, while other times you'll see "000.5" with the needle slightly to the right. The same is true if it's low: you might see "-000.5" with the needle dead center, and other times you'll see "-000.5" with the needle slightly to the left. Even though it's possible to get every single lug to read exactly "000.0", there will be times where you just can't do it. You might have like 25% of your lugs showing either "-000.5" or "000.5". What's cool is, if all of those fraction readings have a perfectly-centered needle, then you can leave it, especially if you have lost your patience. lol :) It's damn near perfect at that point, far better than what you can get with ear-tuning.

Anyway, the gist of it is this: let's say that your tom needs to be tuned up a little because you had a gig last night and you've already saved your absolute best tuning for this tom in the tune-bot for the batter and resonant (yes, separately for one save slot! The tune-bot is awesome). You take your tom and put it on a surface that perfectly mutes the opposite head (such as a carpeted floor or a couch cushion or even your stool if it's flat and big enough). Then, you put the tuner on it, turn it on, load up the Save Slot for that tom and for that head, turn on the Difference Mode, and begin tapping by each lug. As I explained, the Difference Mode will work precisely like a guitar tuner. So, you just tune as I explained in the paragraph above and you're done. It will be the fastest that you have ever retuned a tom in your whole life and it will also be the easiest retuning that you've ever experienced. You won't even really have to pay attention to the sound all that much, just like how a guitarist doesn't have to really pay that much attention to the sound of their guitar while using a guitar tuner.

Even if you don't use the saving feature (or if you're like me and you're not ready to use it yet because you're still experimenting), you can still reach this "guitar tuner" point very quickly. Let's say that your heads are a little lower right now than they were prior to last night's gig but you don't have the tuning saved in the tune-bot but you want to experience what I just described. If you know the lug frequency that you wee using, then just tune one lug to that frequency, turn on both the Filter Mode and the Difference Mode, and go to town. :) Even if you don't, you can still make a guess based entirely on where they are at right now according to the tune-bot and then you just tune one lug to the frequency you think all of them would be best at (by this point, you'll probably begin to remember where it was at before it detuned), turn the Filter Mode and Difference Mode on, and then go to town.

So, the saving feature. Yeah. It's badass. It's hard to explain in words, you have to see it, but here's my attempt at explaining it:

You have 9 save slots. Each save slot can be categorized as a Snare, Tom, or Bass. Each slot can also have 3 different frequencies for that drum: the lug frequency for the "Top" head, the "Bot." head, and then "Open". The "Open" frequency is from tapping in the center when the Filter Mode is off. Or, you can tap in the center, get that fundamental "Open" frequency, turn the Filter Mode on, and then keep tapping just to see if you get a slightly different reading every once in a while or the same reading. If you get a slightly different reading every once in a while, then you can just go with the most frequently-occuring reading. I mean, you would do this just to make sure that your first tap didn't get you one of those anomalous readings where it was slightly lower or slightly higher.

So yeah, in Save Slot 1, you can say that it's your Tom and that you're entering the lug frequency for the Top head. To enter the lug frequency for the top head, just tap by a lug (after tuning it up, of course), and then press the "DRUM / SAVE" button. Then, you can scroll to the "Bot." head in the tune-bot and do the same thing for the bottom head. Then you can do the same for the "Open" frequency if you wish. Saving the Open frequency can be useful if you always want to tune a drum to a specific note. It's a thing of beauty. That way, you can get the lug frequencies back up to where they were, and then you can check to make sure you're still getting the same note as before too! Or, the same frequency, if you want to go by the frequency when tapping in the center. What you do is, you just press the Note button to toggle.

If you'd be happy just keeping it extremely simple, then you can always use the default mode, which is the "Abs" (absolute) mode. It shows you the frequency reading in a whole number (no decimal). You'd still want to use the Filter Mode just to keep the readings to just the lug frequencies instead of running the risk of sometimes getting the fundamental or "Open" frequency, or some other odd reading. Still, you'd just tap by each lug and make sure each lug makes the tune-bot display the same frequency reading. For example: at my gig on Friday night, I didn't have time to use the Difference Mode because it encourages me to spend more time being precise. So, I just used the Absolute Mode to quickly tune up my toms and my snare so that I could be ready to start on time instead of not finishing and having like 1 or 2 drums not tuned up. The funny thing is, I had not tuned my snare with the tune-bot yet by this point, yet the Absolute Mode still enabled me to get a far better sound out of my snare than I have ever been able to achieve on my own! Although today, I finally got the chance to take my snare home for the next 2 weeks (until our next practice) so that I can play with the tuning to get the very best sound out of this snare possible. It's a very beautiful and expensive snare, so it deserves to be tuned perfectly.

So yeah, the Tension Watch (which is a drum dial) can only help you tune by tension. I got better results tuning by ear back then. The tune-bot helps you tune by sound. It helps you tune musically. It is a major godsend to all drummers, but only if they're willing to try it out - especially drummers like me who suck at ear-tuning even after roughly 20 years of trying to get better at it. I feel that this is exactly like when the guitar tuner was invented. Except, we drummers are conditioned to reject something like this whereas guitarists didn't have any reason to have a closed-minded reaction to the invention of the guitar tuner.

So, is it better? If I were to compare it, then I emphatically say "Absolutely!!! There's no fair comparison! It's a dream come true for me."

Edit: There's something else I like that I discovered. I retuned my toms today which is the first time I've been able to retune them since our gig on Friday (I haven't played my drums since then). For some reason, the heads on my toms were higher than they were at the gig, yet the lug frequency reading was identical all around on both heads. That is, the heads were still perfectly in tune with themselves even though they were not at my desired pitch! So, that made retuning go MUCH faster, especially thanks to the tune-bot! I mean, here's what it all boils down to: with the tune-bot, I can not only hear the pitch, but I can see it! That's a dream come true!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
You probably know this way better than I do, but I'll say it anyhow:



With or without tune-bot: don't go for that desired lug pitch too directly. Very small turns on those tension rods, taking you only a tiny step closer to where you want to be, are the way to go... Go 'round, repeat, etc.
This is great advice for someone who already knows what lug frequency they want but are working with a brand new head, or a completely dead head after taking it off and putting it back on (perhaps for drum cleaning or maintenance). It's best to use your hands to feel the tension as you bring the head up to the ballpark of the lug pitch. By paying attention to the tension that you can feel in the drum key(s) (I use two keys simultaneously) and by keeping it as even as possible in your hands, you're helping to ensure that the head will have a good sound once you get the lug frequency readings to be the same. In my limited experience with the tune-bot so far, if the head isn't sitting comfortably and evenly on the bearing edge, then you can get a bad sound even though the lug frequency reading is precisely the same all around the head.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT43 View Post
I've also gotten very good results tuning by lug frequency. I don't use a Tune-Bot, though, I bought a $4.99 app for my iPhone that does the same thing (iDrumTech). After some experimentation with different tunings, I created presets for each of my drums and now it's really quick and easy to tune them up.
Yep! :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT43 View Post
Experimentation is much easier with a device like this. In the past I would just stumble around until the drum sounded un-shitty, and stop there, because I didn't know what made it sound better. I'm not afraid to try lots of different batter/reso tuning combinations now, because if what I try doesn't sound good, it's easy to get back to where I had it before. It's a great learning tool.
Absolutely! Another thing I like about the tune-bot is I can finally remove the heads for drum maintenance or cleaning with total confidence and peace of mind, just like a guitarist removing their strings and putting them back on. They have their guitar tuners, and I have my tune-bot. :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT43 View Post
The app, and I think the Drum-Bot also, has a calculator for the frequencies. You enter the desired overall pitch of the drum, whether you want the reso higher or lower than the batter, and how much sustain you want (max sustain = equal tunings top and bottom), and it calculates the frequencies for the batter and reso heads. Then you just point your phone mic at each lug and keep going round until they are all about equal and close to the right frequency.
Wow. The tune-bot doesn't have that, but their website does. Perhaps this will be an improvement in the future due to this app.

However, the tune-bot doesn't need to be by the lug that you're tapping. It just stays in one spot, clamped onto the rim. So, the next time you use this app, try keeping the phone in the same spot, in between the same two lugs the whole time. After all, the whole head is making that sound, not just the part of the head that you're tapping by the lug.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT43 View Post
I'd recommend to anyone to get one of the phone apps, or a Tune-Bot if you want a dedicated device. However, I wouldn't recommend becoming too dependent on it. Use it to develop your tuning skills and your ear so that you can do it without the Bot/app. I still rely on mine because I get the best results that way, but I'm practicing tuning without it. You can't tune the drums on the kit with these things, because you need the opposite head to be muffled. Try muffling the bottom of your 12" rack tom, while holding the device in your other hand, and now you're out of arms and you can't even tap the drum to check the frequency.
You can with the tune-bot. It has a Filter Mode. You just mute the center of the head that you're tuning (or mute the bottom head if you prefer), tap by a lug, and then look at the reading to see if it is about what you'd expect. If it is, then you'd turn on the Filter Mode. If not, then tap by another lug. The Filter Mode filters by the last frequency that it picked up, 18% above and below it.

I'm beginning to agree with you about not becoming too dependent on it though. Thanks to the tune-bot, I am finally beginning to understand exactly what part of the sound to lock onto when tapping by a lug. I used to have no idea thanks to the myriad of sounds that a head can produce when tapped by a lug. lol Still, I am an anal-retentive perfectionist, and so the tune-bot is a dream come true for me. I doubt that I'll ever tune without it. Well, that's how I feel right now. lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
The tune bot does not leave loose lugs like the drum dial would. I had the same issues with the drum dial and eventually ditched it. The tune bot works in a completely different manner. Every lug is tightened to the same level.
Well, maybe it's my worn-out heads, but this hasn't been the case for me so far. I have to be very careful about avoiding loose lugs. So, I combine Buddy Rich's tuning method with the tune-bot and I no longer have that problem. What I mean is, I am convinced that Buddy used to go by the feel of the tension in his drum key as he went around. I would bet that he would turn each tension rod back and forth a little bit in order to get an idea of where the tension was at so that he could even them all out. When I do this, I still need the tune bot to even out the pitches, but it definitely helps me avoid loose lugs. The result is a superior sound because the head is sitting more comfortably and evenly on the bearing edge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I play a Tama Superstar. Not the best quality kit, but I like how it cuts through.
Oh nice. Do you have the 100% birch kit, or the Birch/Mahogany kit? Or, how old or how new is it?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 947
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

So exactly how does a Tune-Bot work ?

Does it help you tune your drums ?


.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 AM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
So exactly how does a Tune-Bot work ?

Does it help you tune your drums ?


.
lol :)

I know, I'm probably a little over enthusiastic, but I've spent the last 15+ years trying to get better at ear-tuning and always having nothing but frustration. resulting in me often losing my patience and my temper. I even once threw my 12" tom at the soft back of a recliner because I was just that pissed off. Fortunately for me, it came out of that trauma unharmed. I wanted to destroy my drums on more than one occasion, and there have been several times where I just wanted to sell my drums and quit being a drummer and find something else to get good at. So for me, the tune-bot is a giant, massive, enormous, colossal relief. I used to hate tuning because I always felt like I was blind and partially deaf. The tune-bot gives me 20/20 vision and perfect hearing. I cannot tell you how happy I have been since I began experiencing the tune-bot for myself. The more and more I use it, the more and more I love it. My drums no longer own me. Instead, I own them, and I owe that feeling to the tune-bot.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM
gconyers's Avatar
gconyers gconyers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 120
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
lol :)

I know, I'm probably a little over enthusiastic, but I've spent the last 15+ years trying to get better at ear-tuning and always having nothing but frustration. resulting in me often losing my patience and my temper. I even once threw my 12" tom at the soft back of a recliner because I was just that pissed off. Fortunately for me, it came out of that trauma unharmed. I wanted to destroy my drums on more than one occasion, and there have been several times where I just wanted to sell my drums and quit being a drummer and find something else to get good at. So for me, the tune-bot is a giant, massive, enormous, colossal relief. I used to hate tuning because I always felt like I was blind and partially deaf. The tune-bot gives me 20/20 vision and perfect hearing. I cannot tell you how happy I have been since I began experiencing the tune-bot for myself. The more and more I use it, the more and more I love it. My drums no longer own me. Instead, I own them, and I owe that feeling to the tune-bot.
I've had similar experiences. Except the part about throwing my drum!



As has been mentioned in other posts- if you have a decent quality drum with good bearing edges, a good head, and know how to properly seat and evenly tension a head to get it started, the TB is an AMAZING tool that will make tuning your drums quick AND fun. At least IME.

One of the best drum related purchases I've ever made. Sold my drum dial.

If you're reading this and are on the fence opinion wise, rent or borrow one and try it for yourself.

P.S. TC's......it was your excellent review and posts that encouraged me to go out and get a TB to begin with....I owe you man!

Last edited by gconyers; 10-12-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2013, 07:25 PM
TwoCables
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My experience with the tune-bot at my gig last night (it was excellent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconyers View Post
I've had similar experiences. Except the part about throwing my drum!
Yeah, that moment haunts me sometimes. I mean, now that I know how 'soft' my shells are, I cringe every time this memory plays out. Although, I remember doing it kind of gently. Still...


Quote:
Originally Posted by gconyers View Post
As has been mentioned in other posts- if you have a decent quality drum with good bearing edges, a good head, and know how to properly seat and evenly tension a head to get it started, the TB is an AMAZING tool that will make tuning your drums quick AND fun. At least IME.
You're right: it is fun. I've never had fun tuning my drums before, but now it's a real pleasure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gconyers View Post
One of the best drum related purchases I've ever made. Sold my drum dial.

If you're reading this and are on the fence opinion wise, rent or borrow one and try it for yourself.

P.S. TC's......it was your excellent review and posts that encouraged me to go out and get a TB to begin with....I owe you man!
Wow. I don't know what to say! I'm glad to help! I don't want to sound like a broken record or anything, but I still say that this is just like when the guitar tuner was invented. Unfortunately, I think we drummers are far more closed-minded about such things, but I feel that not owning the tune-bot is a little bit like a guitarist not owning a guitar tuner. I can't say this about any other so-called "drum tuning device".
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com