DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Celereon Celereon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 119
Default Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

Hi,

I'm looking to get a strap drive pedal - just for a secondary kit at home, so durability is not really a concern here. It's replacing this Millennium pedal (from Thomann) - very solid double chain pedal, but just doesn't feel responsive. I've played the Jojo Mayer PB but I don't think I can justify spending that much especially on what is essentially a practice pedal. I loved the feel though.

I'm thinking of maybe a Pearl Eliminator (I like the customisation, but I'm concerned it might be on the heavy side). I've also heard great things about the Yamaha FP8500B. I had considered the much cheaper Gibraltar 3311S but in reality I can afford these other two pedals and I don't want to settle for second best once again to end up dissatisfied and look for an upgrade a few months later.

Where I am, the Eliminator strap drive can be had for $175, the FP8500B for $165 and the Perfect Balance is >$350. The 3311S is only $85 but I'm not REALLY considering it for the reasons mentioned above.

I'll try to get out and try these myself of course but where I am, music stores are lacking, especially the Yamaha gear, short of making a >2 hour drive.

Which one would you recommend/what do you think is the better deal?

Cheers,
Cel
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Dre25's Avatar
Dre25 Dre25 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,083
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

Pearl eliminators are very light and top notch. The jojo is lighter again but personally I need more power from my pedal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
please do not take this advice for it is among the worst given
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM
EarthRocker's Avatar
EarthRocker EarthRocker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 275
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

I use a Yamaha 7210 strap drive pedal. You'll only find the chain drive on amazon, so you might want to call Musician's Friend, or whoever you're buying from, and ask if they have the strap drive version. I've used the pedal for about a year, and I worship it. I played on a Tama Speed Cobra for a long time, and when somebody stole it from my car, I needed a good replacement for a good bargain. My friend had the 7210 strap drive pedal for 30 bucks second hand, witch was a steal, considering it had never really been played. If mine ever breaks, I'll buy another one. Amazing pedals for the price.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 PM
drummerjims's Avatar
drummerjims drummerjims is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: US
Posts: 263
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

The Yamaha FP8500B Is the way to go in my opinion. You can get it on interstate music for $95. I had the dw9000 which I had in double chain and strap drive mode and I wasn't really feeling it. Then I moved on to the pearl demon drive. Which was smooth but I hated it. So I sold it and bought the Yamaha FP8500B. I am someone who has played so many different pedals. Although I have not tried the JoJo Mayer pedal yet. And this is by far my favorite. It is quiet. The build is solid yet because it has no heavy base plate it is light weight. They actually sprayed some of that rubber wrench handle stuff on the rods that connect the base to the posts so it has a solid feel. Of course this is just my opinion but I do recommend it. For the price it is great and honestly I doubt I would ever go to a different pedal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
The Yamaha FP8500B Is the way to go in my opinion. You can get it on interstate music for $95. I had the dw9000 which I had in double chain and strap drive mode and I wasn't really feeling it. Then I moved on to the pearl demon drive. Which was smooth but I hated it. So I sold it and bought the Yamaha FP8500B. I am someone who has played so many different pedals. Although I have not tried the JoJo Mayer pedal yet. And this is by far my favorite. It is quiet. The build is solid yet because it has no heavy base plate it is light weight. They actually sprayed some of that rubber wrench handle stuff on the rods that connect the base to the posts so it has a solid feel. Of course this is just my opinion but I do recommend it. For the price it is great and honestly I doubt I would ever go to a different pedal.
This in spades is what I would of suggested. Next to an old Gretsch Floating Action pedal, this thing absolutely is a beautiful pedal! Light, simple and smooth as silk.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,290
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celereon View Post

...Where I am, the Eliminator strap drive can be had for $175, the FP8500B for $165 and the Perfect Balance is >$350...

Are you in the USA? Like drummerjims says, that Yamaha pedal can be had for a lot less.
I like it, but can't really say how it compares to the others.
If a 2 hour drive is too much, maybe you can find a place to get it from that has a good return policy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM
JosephDAqui's Avatar
JosephDAqui JosephDAqui is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 96
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

The Yamaha is a really good pedal, especially for sliding. The beaters are light but pack a decent punch. You'll find it to be quite fast...
__________________
http://lion-hearted.us - Lion-Hearted
http://revengeofapophis.com - Apophis
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM
double_G's Avatar
double_G double_G is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 525
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
The Yamaha FP8500B Is the way to go in my opinion. You can get it on interstate music for $95. I had the dw9000 which I had in double chain and strap drive mode and I wasn't really feeling it. Then I moved on to the pearl demon drive. Which was smooth but I hated it. So I sold it and bought the Yamaha FP8500B. I am someone who has played so many different pedals. Although I have not tried the JoJo Mayer pedal yet. And this is by far my favorite. It is quiet. The build is solid yet because it has no heavy base plate it is light weight. They actually sprayed some of that rubber wrench handle stuff on the rods that connect the base to the posts so it has a solid feel. Of course this is just my opinion but I do recommend it. For the price it is great and honestly I doubt I would ever go to a different pedal.
agreed w/ Jims x 100. Yamaha FP8500B on of the best pedals i have bought in maybe 20 years. my progression went speed king (80s), yamaha 7 series (late 80s), dw (those first double pedals in late 80s). pearl double (late 90s?), pearl eliminator (hated it after a while, sold), dw 7000 (returned), dw 5000 (returned), dw 9000 (nice but too heavy, returned) then Yamaha FP8500B. light & fast. does ankle swivels no problem.

the same series (current) Yamaha hi-hat also UNBELIEVABLE.
__________________
Fortune Drums | Bosphorus and Yamaha | Sabian | Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Celereon Celereon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 119
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Are you in the USA? Like drummerjims says, that Yamaha pedal can be had for a lot less.
I like it, but can't really say how it compares to the others.
If a 2 hour drive is too much, maybe you can find a place to get it from that has a good return policy.
I'm actually in Australia (I had it in my location but it must have disappeared, I think it's back now) - so prices are a little different. I think the Pearl is also a bit cheaper because its more well known so there's a bit more demand and sales (I just found it for $149). The 2 hour drive is to the nearest store that even stocks Yamaha, I'd have to make sure they had this pedal in store first.


double_G, do you mean the HS-850 hi hat stand?


I'm leaning towards the Yamaha right now, just emailing all the music stores in Australia to see if I can find a lower price. Is the Yamaha good because of the price, or is it just generally an excellent pedal? It's really looking like I won't be able to get it cheaper than the Eliminator so I'm wondering if that new information makes the Eliminator the better choice.

Last edited by Celereon; 10-24-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Added a question to the last sentence
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM
drummerjims's Avatar
drummerjims drummerjims is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: US
Posts: 263
Default Re: Single Strap Drive Pedal (Yamaha, Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celereon View Post
I'm actually in Australia (I had it in my location but it must have disappeared, I think it's back now) - so prices are a little different. I think the Pearl is also a bit cheaper because its more well known so there's a bit more demand and sales (I just found it for $149). The 2 hour drive is to the nearest store that even stocks Yamaha, I'd have to make sure they had this pedal in store first.


double_G, do you mean the HS-850 hi hat stand?


I'm leaning towards the Yamaha right now, just emailing all the music stores in Australia to see if I can find a lower price. Is the Yamaha good because of the price, or is it just generally an excellent pedal? It's really looking like I won't be able to get it cheaper than the Eliminator so I'm wondering if that new information makes the Eliminator the better choice.
I think the Yamaha is just a great strap drive pedal in general. There seems to be a pretty average weight to the actual motion. its well made and very dynamic. I have always been a fan of strap drives and this is my favorite that I have played. However I have not tried the Eliminator so I can't speak for it. Who knows it may be better than the Yamaha but all I can do is give you info on the Yamaha.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com