DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Ludwig QuadraPlus finish?

Tire kicking again, curious about the finish on these. I think someone put the concert kick drums end to end for a super-kick. I could use the stands, pedal, and snare if I could flip the drums...
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Ludwig QuadraPlus finish?

Looks like the Black Panther finish, which was basically a heavy-duty contact paper. Or, it may actually be black conatct paper applied by a previous owner.

Of course I approve of the concert toms! :)

Bermuda
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 PM

That kick is a monster! 28" deep? Six toms ....ummm ... that would be a HexaPlus?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 PM

Yes, I thought about the 6 tom thing... I guess I am being consistent, since almost all of my threads have been mis-titled. Kind of wondered if it was a Octa-plus with two missing toms, where someone got the bright idea of taping the kick drums together. Never seen the black panther finish, interesting!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethlowden View Post
Yes, I thought about the 6 tom thing... I guess I am being consistent, since almost all of my threads have been mis-titled. Kind of wondered if it was a Octa-plus with two missing toms, where someone got the bright idea of taping the kick drums together. Never seen the black panther finish, interesting!
Ludwig did make a Quadra Plus kit, but .... this kick, I don't think those are 2 Luddies taped together. That kick has only 8 lugs (would be correct if it's a 20", but wrong if it's a 22), and the spurs should be curved, if it was a Ludwig Octa/Quadra. So I suspect the kick is of dubious nature. If it is a Ludwig, it's been altered too much to be worth much. Not much more than a parts drum.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 AM

Good call. The seller sent me some other higher resolution pictures, looks like those toms are three pairs of black panther concert toms, and the floor tom is of indeterminate origin. Kicks look like Pearls, two back to back, re-wrapped in vinyl like Bermuda said. I feel somewhat sorry I posted! But may lowball the guy for the hardware and snare...

Edit: I think the batter-side kick is Ludwig, 10 lug, resonant side kick is 8 lug Pearl maybe. Weird.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 AM

I kind of forgot about this until just now, and looking at the pics, I think this is a 6.5 supraphonic. Am I crazy? The boom stands, hi hat, and snare stands along with the snare would go great with my stainless steel kit...
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Early 70's LM 402.in good shape and if all original, probably worth more than the whole kit.Consert toms are pretty much a deal killer....almost no one plays then .

Steve B
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Bermuda's highly regarded opinion notwithstanding, I agree they would be hard to sell as is. I have some ideas. I may be able to get the set for less than the value of the snare...
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 PM

Couldn't that have started life as a Power Factory model?

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludw...sets_1980.html
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 PM

That looks about right! Interesting! "Six glorious aerial single headed toms" it says. The brochure says the floor tom has a resonant head, but the CL set does not. Wonder what the story is there? The thing was still for sale a couple days ago, so I will take a look when it is not out of my way, and see how little he is willing to take for it.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 AM

I am now a proud owner of a Ludwig Power Factory drum set, or at least what remains of a Power Factory set. Not nearly as nice as a new-in-box chrome over wood...lol... Interesting that these are cortex underneath a vinyl wrap. Not original, as demonstrated by the fact that the oil-drum kick is wrapped that way and the floor tom was converted to a concert tom by removing the lugs. There were B8 hats in great shape, and an Iron Cobra Jr with it. I am tempted to keep the pedals, but I will see what I can get out of the drums first. I would like to recoup my investment and at least keep the snare. I put a pic of that in my Stainless thread...
Attached Images