DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Default New Cymbal Day! Paiste 2002 content.

I just picked up a used Paiste 2002 22" crash! Woot.

This is my first Paiste and it sounds nice. I won't really get to put it through it's paces till tomorrow afternoon at band practice. I am hoping that this will replace my 20" Zildjian Constantinople Medium-Thin low as my left side crash.

I feel like getting a Paiste Ride soon as well. I really like the 2002 line from what I have heard. I like that they are not afraid to make large cymbals as well. I might have a hard time picking between a 24" 2002 Ride, and the Paiste 2002 "Big Ride" 24" Ride Cymbal.

These are both interesting cymbals. The 24" (classic) ride can absorb a lot of energy and never really loose control when riding the bow. It can be loud and have a lot of cutting ping, and the bell is super strong. When shouldering the edge of the cymbal it seems like it really roars. However, in some respects, my new 24" Zildjian Medium Ride reacts a similar way.

The Paiste 2002 "Big Ride" 24" Ride Cymbal seems like a lot of fun. It definitely opens up more and is a lot more crashable. And while the bell on these are just a tad bit softer than the Classic Rides it seems, it is no slouch. Overall from what I have heard it seems more lively overall. I know that Paiste was going for a Giant Beat feel with more of a 2002 cymbal flavor. I think it is a great mix myself.

I think I will acquire more of these sweet pies in the near future.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 AM

Default Re: New Cymbal Day! Paiste 2002 content.

Congrats! :) I am freak on Paiste, and prefer the 2002/Rudes myself. The 2002 series is super dynamic and they really express what you put into them very clearly. Just amazing.
I hear you on the sizes, and prefer larger cymbals myself.
The 22 and 24" 2002 crashes incredible, and sound better than many would think. On that note, if you come across a 22" China, or Novo China, grab em- theyre worth it...
yes, the Alex Van Halen Ride is a little washier, opens up quick and full. For me, it would would better as a large crash/ride though, as I prefer the extra bit of definition the 24" 2002 ride offers. Just a bit more direct, etc...anyway, congrats, these cymbals have magic in 'em:)
Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

I keep thinking I want a 2002 ride but I'm a little torn because I LOVE the body of the 24" but I think the bell of the 22" sounds better.

That 24" Formula 602 ride is just so amazing though. If only it weren't $600...
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino66 View Post
Congrats! :) I am freak on Paiste, and prefer the 2002/Rudes myself. The 2002 series is super dynamic and they really express what you put into them very clearly. Just amazing.
I hear you on the sizes, and prefer larger cymbals myself.
The 22 and 24" 2002 crashes incredible, and sound better than many would think. On that note, if you come across a 22" China, or Novo China, grab em- theyre worth it...
yes, the Alex Van Halen Ride is a little washier, opens up quick and full. For me, it would would better as a large crash/ride though, as I prefer the extra bit of definition the 24" 2002 ride offers. Just a bit more direct, etc...anyway, congrats, these cymbals have magic in 'em:)
Thank you. I got a chance to play the 22" tonight at practice. I like it a lot. I sits in the mix a little differently than my Zildjians. I don't mind how it sits either. My other right side crash is a 21 Zildjian Sweet Ride (new style). My ride is the 24" Zildjian Medium Ride (new style), along with some old New Beats.

I could see rounding out an entire Paiste line-up. They have plenty of great cymbals to choose from. I might have a tough time deciding on a Paiste Ride though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I keep thinking I want a 2002 ride but I'm a little torn because I LOVE the body of the 24" but I think the bell of the 22" sounds better.

That 24" Formula 602 ride is just so amazing though. If only it weren't $600...
Yeah, I am a recent convert to the ways of the large ride. I have used 20" rides up until a few months ago when I picked up the Medium Ride. I have to say I do like the larger rides over the smaller these days. I suppose it is situational, but it works for my situation.

Than Formula 602 Ride does sound really nice, but it would be a hard one for me to justify laying down $600 for. I think I would be just as happy with the 24" Big Ride or 24" Ride and use the extra money towards something else.