DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 PM

Default Vic Firth 5B Barrel Tip Sticks -a quick review

I tend to gravitate toward barrel tip sticks. For instance, I love the Regal Tip 8A's and the VF Steve Gadd sticks and other similar types. I love that barrel tips tend to clean out the sound on the cymbals. VF describes it as more "clarity" on the cymbals. I very rarely use anything bigger than a 5A. So when I tried the 5B Barrel from V.F. I was thinking that maybe they wouldn't be right for me. I tried them for the first time last week in a church service and I just absolutely loved them.

They didn't bring out a lot of the highs that a regular 5B might create on the cymbals. I was happy about that. The extra beef that the 5B had was extremely comfortable for me. This surprised me since, like I said before, I hardly ever use that size stick. If I had to compare the closest stick comparable to it (that I've tried), I would say the VF Bolero is somewhat similar, except that the Bolero definitely sounds darker on the cymbals than the 5B, and is made of Maple, not Hickory like the 5B Barrel.

I also loved the sound I got from the drums too. I felt that the volume on the drums was what I would expect from a 5B, but with a mellower volume from the cymbals. I thought that was a great combination.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Vic Firth 5B Barrel Tip Sticks -a quick review

5B Barrel tip stick from Vic? Where did you find it? What's the model number?
Old 05-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the review I will try them as well. I'm on my never-ending quest for the stick that suits me best. I've it narrowed down closer to
VF Vinnie Coliauta sig
VF Dave Weckl sig (maroon version)
Promark Thomas Pridgen sig
VF Mike Terrana sig
If I could create my own sig it'd be simply the VF JoJo Mayer sig except in 16". I love it except it's so short.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
5B Barrel tip stick from Vic? Where did you find it? What's the model number?
5BBRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
Thanks for the review I will try them as well. I'm on my never-ending quest for the stick that suits me best. I've it narrowed down closer to
VF Vinnie Coliauta sig
VF Dave Weckl sig (maroon version)
Promark Thomas Pridgen sig
VF Mike Terrana sig
If I could create my own sig it'd be simply the VF JoJo Mayer sig except in 16". I love it except it's so short.
You should check out the VF Buddy Rich sigs as well. A tad bit longer than the Thomas Pridgen Sig Promarks same diameter. The tip is almost more of a rounded off barrel tip. I've been using them lately and really like them.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:30 AM

The 5A and 5B Barrel can be found almost anywhere online that sells Vic Firth sticks. I ordered both the 5A and 5B from Cascio Interstate Music.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Im right there with you man! I love the mayers but feel that theyre a tad bit short. Ive found that I like that .577/.580 range of thickness, but like you, am looking for something in 16"
Old 05-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
5BBRL

You should check out the VF Buddy Rich sigs as well. A tad bit longer than the Thomas Pridgen Sig Promarks same diameter. The tip is almost more of a rounded off barrel tip. I've been using them lately and really like them.
Yup, bought a pair of those a while back and now sitting in the closet. I felt they were too long for my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedrums78 View Post
Im right there with you man! I love the mayers but feel that theyre a tad bit short. Ive found that I like that .577/.580 range of thickness, but like you, am looking for something in 16"
Right on. I think I will also try VF Lenny Whites sometime soon, just saw those.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:44 AM

@Trip:
Quote:
Right on. I think I will also try VF Lenny Whites sometime soon, just saw those.
The Lenny`s are nice, but I didn`t dig the rounded tip and it felt a little too forward weighted. Im trying Vater sessions next, theyre .570/16" so we`ll see..i:ll let u know!

btw, strange but when I matched up my fulcrum on the jojo`s and where I put my thumb index fulcrum on the buddy rich`s, I found the reach/length of the stick to be almost the same! The rich`s were slightly longer, maybe 3-4mm, but still, it was kind of surprising.. maybe the "shortness" of the stick is in my head.. haha