DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-31-2014, 12:05 AM

Default Stick size doesn't matter...balance does!

OK, this may sound overly obvious to the majority of you, but it is an epiphany to me :-)

So my story is that I've been a metalhead since I got into music 15 years ago and when I picked up drums 3 years ago, I naturally have been playing like the heavy metal neanderthals I love and respect - heavy hitting, and pretty much 90% from the wrist! In a sense it goes well with aggressive nature the music, but I am starting to get an appreciation for my fingers, and more importantly 'listening' to the natural balance of a stick, rather than fighting it constantly.

A week and a half ago I broke and dislocated my left wrist and the right one is slightly sprained. I am right handed, so naturally, I have been keeping my drum practice up with just my feet and my right hand, but the right wrist is much weaker due to the sprain, and I am forced to use wrist and fingers in equal parts. It's like I am drumming for the first time again!

I find with a well balanced stick and a sensitive touch using both fingers and wrist, you have a massive palette for dynamics. Weirdly enough, my overall coordination is improved also, probably as I am not gripping on to sticks for dear life! I am more relaxed.

I am really enjoying sticks with a long taper, in particular, the Tommy Igoe groove essentials and the Gavin harrison signature sticks. I find these have a great balance for me and a nice rebound. Do others feel longer taper has a better balance point, or are there more factors than purely taper?

I used to be obsessed with just thickness, in my constant search for 'the one stick', but I have realised now that probably there is no 'one'; only those with a poor balance, and those with a good.

Enjoy balanced drumming!

AndeeT
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Stick size doesn't matter...balance does!

I completely agree with what you're saying here.

I played with Promark sticks for about 15 years just because I happened to start with that brand, and got used to how the sticks felt. Something sparked my journey recently to see if there was a better stick out there for me, and I soon came to the realization that I had been missing out for a LONG time.

I tried several different sticks, and then found that the Vater Power House is pretty much perfect in regard to size and balance for me. It's thicker, so I don't have to grip as hard as I did with the 5B's I usually used, and the balance means I'm not fighting the stick - I'm letting it do all the work.

I don't get to play as much as I would like, since I live 4.5 hours away from my set, so I used to get blisters and stuff from playing 2-3 hour sessions from gripping the Promarks so tightly. Now with the Vaters, I can play 3+ hours and my hands don't get torn up. It has really changed the way I play for the better.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnareSpectre View Post
I completely agree with what you're saying here.

I played with Promark sticks for about 15 years just because I happened to start with that brand, and got used to how the sticks felt. Something sparked my journey recently to see if there was a better stick out there for me, and I soon came to the realization that I had been missing out for a LONG time.

I tried several different sticks, and then found that the Vater Power House is pretty much perfect in regard to size and balance for me. It's thicker, so I don't have to grip as hard as I did with the 5B's I usually used, and the balance means I'm not fighting the stick - I'm letting it do all the work.

I don't get to play as much as I would like, since I live 4.5 hours away from my set, so I used to get blisters and stuff from playing 2-3 hour sessions from gripping the Promarks so tightly. Now with the Vaters, I can play 3+ hours and my hands don't get torn up. It has really changed the way I play for the better.
I literally just posted about the Power Houses in the Titan thread before even reading this. What a coincidence. Thick sticks feel good in my hands, I prefer them whenever I'm not trying to stay quiet with 5As.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I literally just posted about the Power Houses in the Titan thread before even reading this. What a coincidence. Thick sticks feel good in my hands, I prefer them whenever I'm not trying to stay quiet with 5As.
Haha, that IS a crazy coincidence. I tried several different pairs before coming across the Power Houses, and the moment I put my hands on them I absolutely loved them. I had never played Vater before and just ordered them online based on their dimensions (thicker, slightly longer). They're such solid sticks, I can't believe they're not talked about more. Durability is not my primary concern with sticks since I'm not hurting for money, but those suckers held up to about 8 hours of rock and metal playing and barely look like they've been played. The Promarks I used before (standard 5B New Millennium Hickory) would have frayed drastically where I do shots.

I'm curious though - you said you like both the TITANs and the Power Houses, yet I only like the Power Houses and honestly hate the way the TITANs feel from a balance perspective. Do they feel similar to you? The Power Houses play themselves for me, but I was having to physically pound out every stroke with the TITANs with no finesse whatsoever.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnareSpectre View Post
Haha, that IS a crazy coincidence. I tried several different pairs before coming across the Power Houses, and the moment I put my hands on them I absolutely loved them. I had never played Vater before and just ordered them online based on their dimensions (thicker, slightly longer). They're such solid sticks, I can't believe they're not talked about more. Durability is not my primary concern with sticks since I'm not hurting for money, but those suckers held up to about 8 hours of rock and metal playing and barely look like they've been played. The Promarks I used before (standard 5B New Millennium Hickory) would have frayed drastically where I do shots.

I'm curious though - you said you like both the TITANs and the Power Houses, yet I only like the Power Houses and honestly hate the way the TITANs feel from a balance perspective. Do they feel similar to you? The Power Houses play themselves for me, but I was having to physically pound out every stroke with the TITANs with no finesse whatsoever.
The PHs definitely have more weight in the hand. I couldn't really tell you why I liked the feel of either specifically though, they're certainly not that similar.

I've been using the PHs for a little over 2 weeks, about 1-2 hours a day, and they're just now starting to fray. I already ordered some Chris Pennie signature sticks as well to try out, but the Vaters are definitely doing better than any of the thick Vics I've tried in the past. I also have some Vater MV-20s that I used for quite a while on set, those hold up swell too.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:29 AM

I keep a few different sizes around all wood tips and use them all as I see fit.
The only exception is my pad sticks which are heavy lumber.

Pro mark 808 in oak (a favorite)

5B any brand (I love the price of 5B)

Pro mark 707 in hickory (they haven't broke yet and yes I like them but when they break they will not be replaced as they are a bit thin).

Some Anton Spears, which won't be replaced either.... but I used them on occasion.

And for the pad...

Vic Firth Corpsman MS3... they are huge. Why? For a Big Stick workout. I like them a lot but I think I'd be splittin' drumheads and crackin' cymbals with these so they're confined to the pad.

Last edited by GeoB; 06-21-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
The PHs definitely have more weight in the hand. I couldn't really tell you why I liked the feel of either specifically though, they're certainly not that similar.

I've been using the PHs for a little over 2 weeks, about 1-2 hours a day, and they're just now starting to fray. I already ordered some Chris Pennie signature sticks as well to try out, but the Vaters are definitely doing better than any of the thick Vics I've tried in the past. I also have some Vater MV-20s that I used for quite a while on set, those hold up swell too.
I just looked up the MV-20s, and it looks they're almost the exact same as Thomas Lang's signature sticks, sans the white paint! I actually used the TLs for a bit before finding the PH - like the OP said, it's all about the weighting. Thomas Lang sticks are heavier and beefier than the average stick, yet the weighting is so good that I can fly with them. I just wasn't a huge fan of the lower-pitched sounds of the tip, and the tips chipped too fast for my liking. I generall prefer nylon tip, and wish the PHs came in that option...but somehow the tips on the PHs seem denser and give an almost nylon-like ping.

I just can't get over how much I love them, haha.