DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-21-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Evans consistency...

I've had my new drumset about 8 months now and I'm about to put my fifth set of heads on it...I'm still experimenting. I love the sound of the G2 and G2 coated but they're not recording as well as I'd like in my basement, which I must admit doesn't sound very good for the mics apparently. To my ear, I like how the G2 coated sound best so far, but I tried some EC2 to help control some of the resonance and was getting a weird sound out of all the drums, so I put the G2 coated back on....anyhow that's another thread, on to the point of this thread.

I went to my local music store to try out some Evans Hydraulics but they didn't have them. So to hold me over, I got a set of a brand I won't name. They were thick double ply heads with some control ring I believe. I ordered the hydraulics online and got them the other day. I put the set of other brand heads on my drum and my goodness what a difference! I had gotten used to Evans and these things just seemed like poo in comparison as far as ease of tuning and how well it set on my drum. What's weird is this company makes my favorite kick drum head. I bought one of those at the music store as well but haven't put it on yet. I'm a bit worried I've been spoiled by Evans. I hope the other brand's kick head is as good as I remember it. I'll put it on tonight if I have the time, but kudos to Evans. This will be another new set of Evans heads and they've all shown such uniformity that I think they've got a customer for life. After seeing their manufacturing videos compared to their competitors, I think they're just making a better product. I never used Evans years ago, for what reason I don't know, they just weren't on my radar. But this was a real eye opener!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans consistency...

I can't comment meaningfully on sound "quality", as that's subjective / personal, but in terms of dimensional consistency, I can say with absolute certainty, that Evans far out perform their nearest rival. I fit hundreds of heads, & I'm in a position where I'm monitoring dimensions / forms precisely, & Evans's tolerances are much tighter than some others.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 PM

I'm almost a 100% Remo guy, myself. But I do love an EMAD bass drum head.

I just cant seem to get away from the nice sounds I have always gotten out of my Remo Coated Emperors on my toms, and Ambassador or Emperor on my snare drums. Evans don't make bad heads.. just all comes down to preference I suppose.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:59 PM

I've played Evans G2 heads for years. Had them on my Yammie stage customs and now on my Pearl Masters mcx. The coated versions work better on my stage customs because they seemed to wRm up the drums and take a lot of the weird overtones out that you sometimes get with beginner/mid line kits. I tried several heads on my mcx kit and ended up going right back to g2s because those shells are thick (7.5 mm) and loud and the coated g2s calm them down somewhat and have such a warm mellow tone.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Personally, I find that my drums really prefer different brands. My two kits have much preferred Evans, and so has my Ahead COB (not sure about my new snare tomorrow but y'know), but they always sound kind of ratty and gross on my stave snare. Sounds great on record but I dislike it in person, whereas a Remo head brings a perfect warmth to that drum. Evans sound better (and as said, way better manufacturing) on all my other drums though.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

I've been a long time user (15+ years) of Evans heads; however, that being said, I've not been very happy with their durability as of late. I've been using EC2's on my home kits and church kit and find the durability lately to be not as good as in years past. It just seems to me that head dents happen way to easily as of late. So much so that Im trying out Aquarian heads for comparison..Has anybody else experience this?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
I've been a long time user (15+ years) of Evans heads; however, that being said, I've not been very happy with their durability as of late. I've been using EC2's on my home kits and church kit and find the durability lately to be not as good as in years past. It just seems to me that head dents happen way to easily as of late. So much so that Im trying out Aquarian heads for comparison..Has anybody else experience this?
Heads dent are typically form bad technique. Steep tom or stick angles. Maybe try flattening your toms a little bit.

With that said, I've found that Aquarian heads don't dent as easily as others. That is, if you can find them. I primarily use them, but have been slowing acquiring some Evans heads because Aquarian seems to have a limited supply on hand in most stores, if they're carried at all.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:32 AM

I've been playing G2 clear, EC2 coated, and (now) G2 coated, and never had a problem with denting or durability, or sound changes. I'm sure they will sound dead at some point, but I haven't found it yet. I am sold on the G2s at this point, and will continue to use them until I find a compelling reason the change.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewkowski View Post
I'm almost a 100% Remo guy, myself. But I do love an EMAD bass drum head.
I was just thinking the exact same thing. I still prefer a Powerstroke or Ambassador for Bass Drum but EMADs are comparatively much closer. Still, you can't beat (tee hee, beat) Coated Ambassadors for toms. I've always found Remo heads a bit warmer, more natural-sounding and better-feeling, but it really can vary for everyone.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Heads dent are typically form bad technique. Steep tom or stick angles. Maybe try flattening your toms a little bit.

With that said, I've found that Aquarian heads don't dent as easily as others. That is, if you can find them. I primarily use them, but have been slowing acquiring some Evans heads because Aquarian seems to have a limited supply on hand in most stores, if they're carried at all.
I keep my toms at a fairly flat angle...and have been using Evans heads for quite some time w/o this problem...it's only been recently (as in the last year) that this issue has cropped up... Also pretty certain my technique is fine...:-)
Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post

They're also more likely to happen if one's tom heads are tuned in a low range.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
They're also more likely to happen if one's tom heads are tuned in a low range.
That one too.

IME round tip sticks will do it too.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I can't comment meaningfully on sound "quality", as that's subjective / personal, but in terms of dimensional consistency, I can say with absolute certainty, that Evans far out perform their nearest rival. I fit hundreds of heads, & I'm in a position where I'm monitoring dimensions / forms precisely, & Evans's tolerances are much tighter than some others.
Good to hear. Ihave been moving in the direction of Evans lately simply because Remo's prices have now become significantly higher on comparable heads. The sonic differences between a g1 and an ambassador or a G2 and an emperor are just not significant enough to be justify paying the difference. The 360 design is very welcome as well. On some drums its a subtle thing to be sure but it still works well. The Evans coating holds up better for me and I like some of the various designs for the snare drum. The Genera head with the 2mil ring under a 10mil head are very nice. I have not quite embraced the bass drum offerings as yet. The EQ3 and 4 are fine but most of the reso head designs with 7.5mil mylar seem off to me
Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 PM

I've always found Evans to be the longest lasting heads, but I find that different heads suit different kits.

My Richmo loves Evans G1/G2 clear heads really makes the kit sing. I've used these since I had it in 2005. If it aint broke don't fix it! I tried coated G2s on my Luddy but Emporers sound nicer to my ear.

Coated G1s are a great gigging snare head as they don't die! Remos are a bit dodgy for holding their coating but there's another thread about that.

The EQ1 heads are really nice too for BD. I have an old hydraulic rock head I use as a heavy reso head sometimes, also have an an old clear Genera head I use for a reso with a felt strip with no hole, records really well gives it a bit more boom!