DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 AM

Default Older pedals > newer pedals!?

I've been drumming for almost two decades and in that time frame I've gone through a number of different kick pedals, but I keep coming back to twenty year old (80s??) DW 5000 and (90s??) Tama pedals!

Making any kind of adjustment on either pedal is very simple and straight forward, I took them both apart recently for a tune up and had them both dialed in within 10-15 minutes.

With newer pedals it feels like every company is trying to reinvent the wheel!

I had Tama Speed Cobras for a few months and it took me a very long time to get them dialed in and I had to read through numerous pages of the owner's manual to do so.

RANT OVER!!
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Older pedals > newer pedals!?

There's nothing wrong with simplicity, if you also happen to like the feel. But sometimes you just want it to have less/more resistance when the footboard is all the way down, or a little more/less beater travel, etc. Hence the development of additional adjustments with regard to the beater and footboard angles, different cam shapes for different feels, longer footboards for power, adjustable length footboards to dial-in the exact feel, etc.

It's like sticks - why have 100+ models available when perhaps 5 would satisfy most needs?

Bermuda
Old 05-01-2015, 12:41 PM

I've been looking at getting a set of Axis A21 pedals when I want to replace my DDs, and let me tell you I have absolutely no clue which ones to get - I think there are about 5 different models of A21 including the signature versions! All I know is that I did really like the ones that I played briefly at a store but when I do eventually make that purchase I will be spending a lot of time working it out.

I think the real trick with buying the right pedal though, is that out of the box it should actually feel close enough to perfect for you. I had that experience with my DDs, but not with the Eliminators - and I was forever tweaking the Eliminators to try and get them right.

So while you've struggled through getting the Speed Cobras dialed in, it may be that your physique is more suited to a different brand and/or model.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Years ago I used Ghost pedals. Your were limited with the amount of adjustments you could make. So you set it up and played and you just got used to it. Now there are so many adjustments with cams, belts, spring, footboards etc, it almost seems too much at times.

I actually just bought a couple of old Ghost pedals. Can't wait to throw one on my home kit and play on it again.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2015, 11:40 PM

I just broke my old Gen 2 Iron Cobras and picked up a pair of Speed Cobras... I have to say that the Speed Cobras are a far superior set of pedals. Easier to play, easier to get power, more sensitive to input and they also have more room so my toes don't hit the chain. The Speed Cobras take what I like most about those old pedals (lightness) and offer it in a long board format.

Remember that old pedals were once new pedals, and what you see today will eventually be an old pedal. I don't see old pedals as being better, but rather equal to newer pedals.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

I remember seeing Steve Gadd's first instructional video put out in the 80s and he was using an already ancient Greetsch Floating Action pedal! Fast forward to a few years ago when Lenny White came out again, and he also was using that old Gretsch pedal.

It's ironic that mostly all of the modern pedals are based on that old Gretsch (or Camco) design. Even the newest DW pedals owe their existence to those old designs.

I say pedals are like shoes, if your foot likes it and you can play, then it doesn't matter if it's new or not. The important thing is that you can say what you have to say with it.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been drumming for almost two decades and in that time frame I've gone through a number of different kick pedals, but I keep coming back to twenty year old (80s??) DW 5000 and (90s??) Tama pedals!

Making any kind of adjustment on either pedal is very simple and straight forward, I took them both apart recently for a tune up and had them both dialed in within 10-15 minutes.

Not reinventing the wheel. improving the wheel.

Both the pedals in the pic have pieces that are outdated. If you play them long enough the rear hinges are going to wear to the point of causing the pedal to be very sloppy side to side, and in the case of the 5K will wear the bottom teeth off the cam.

I don't see the benefit of an older/vintage pedal in that respect, and neither do the manufactures, they're constantly looking for ways to improve their pedals. My new DW 5K is way easier to adjust in every way compared to an 80's model, it'll last longer and is basically the same feel and its more consistent.

The DW hinge (in the pic) was/is an absolute POS, the TAMA pin to the heel plate was also early 20th century technology, both hinges have been improved, and take a guess as to why they improved them. If you like sloppy pedals, deff get an older one.

So what's so great about an older pedal, other than you might be able to pick it up for $20?
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 05-27-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:10 PM

definitely agree... the general move to solid baseplates eliminates the side-to-side slop of older models, which can also make the chain drive pedals that have teeth quieter as well

the increased adjustability options can be positive or negative... positive for experienced players, negative for beginners always trying to find "the secret"
Old 05-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Gold Member

Well, I received my Ghost pedal. Put it on my kit. It's in great shape for it's age and the action is very good. It lacks the power and smoothness of my Eliminator no question. Also feels a bit sluggish under foot too.

Funny, how back then I was so used to the Ghost pedal.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonerpizza View Post

I had Tama Speed Cobras for a few months and it took me a very long time to get them dialed in and I had to read through numerous pages of the owner's manual to do so.

RANT OVER!!
They're not reinventing the wheel, they're repackaging the same old design. Basically all pedals today (with a few exceptions) use the same Martin Fleetfoot pedal mechanism, which has been around since at least the 1940s-- it became the Camco and the Gretsch Floating Action, and later the DW 5000, and then everything else in the world. Which is a good thing, because it's a great design; but you're right, the idea that new pedals are a vast improvement over old ones is completely ridiculous.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 AM

Dunno.. i love my Drumnetics... the amount of adjustments you can make is a bit daunting at first, but once its set how you want its great.

And although not a giant leap from standard pedals getting away from springs is a good first step :)