DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 PM

Default Wood Hoops

Hi everyone, I recently watched a video on Matt Cameron's Yamaha kit, and his drum tech said that the wood hoops gave a lot of sustain. I wasn't sure about that though, I thought there would be less sustain, and I'm also curious why I haven't seen many kits with wood hoops, and where are the lugs, or am I just blind? Can someone fill me in?

Regards

"Afro"
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wood Hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Haired Drummer View Post
Hi everyone, I recently watched a video on Matt Cameron's Yamaha kit, and his drum tech said that the wood hoops gave a lot of sustain. I wasn't sure about that though, I thought there would be less sustain, and I'm also curious why I haven't seen many kits with wood hoops, and where are the lugs, or am I just blind? Can someone fill me in?

Regards

"Afro"
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 PM

Seeing the lugs now, but is it purely for aesthetics, because it looks beautiful or is it better for rimshots, sidesticks, or what?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Seeing the lugs now, but is it purely for aesthetics, because it looks beautiful or is it better for rimshots, sidesticks, or what?

Not 'better', its 'different'.

Wood vs metal

Compare aesthetics to this.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 10-31-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi everyone, I recently watched a video on Matt Cameron's Yamaha kit, and his drum tech said that the wood hoops gave a lot of sustain. I wasn't sure about that though, I thought there would be less sustain
The amount of head sustain is mostly relative to the mass of the hoop, all other things being equal. A lightweight wood hoop will offer a very open sound with longer head sustain, whereas a heavier wood hoop will offer a shorter head sustain. There's also an affect on shell resonance too, & that changes the tonal characteristics of the drum.

Not all wood hoops are equal. They're as varied (if not more so) as metal hoop types. Changes in cross stick & rimshot tones are also augmented by the wood species & hardness, especially in solid hoop forms such as steam bent & segmented construction types. In the case of single flange wood hoops, much of the "benefit" is often lost by the use of claws that add considerable mass. Ultimately, & especially on toms, the hoop contribution is part of the overall design/response of the drum. Thick multiple ply wood hoops (i.e. Yamaha) respond very differently to lighter wood hoop forms.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I have owned several kits.. right now I have a pearl masters (regular hoops) and a little sonor bop kit with wood hoops... Wood hoops will give you a "warmer" tone.

kindof how coated heads to non coated heads are warmer... now put some wood hoops on those coated heads (how i have it) slightly less attack. warmer tone.......

it sounds awesome, when that's what your going for. I play metal live so i use my pearls for that. the bop kit is mostly used for screwing around.. jazz and some blues stuff.

Rim shots sound wicked but i really don't want to damage the hoops so I avoid it if I can. and to be honest, the reason I bought them, and most people do is purely for aesthetics. they look soooo nice.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:02 PM

I'm going to end up getting wood hoops for my toms at some stage, but definitely not for my snare. I love playing rim shots, so I'd wreck wood hoops no problem on a snare. The warmer resonance is something I'm definitely liking, and I'd probably use them with clear emperors, like Matt Cameron. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

I just got a wood hoop for my 13 snare snd I platt rimshot on pretty much every backbeat and in between as well. The multiply ones can handle it.