DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Default Pulled the trigger on recording gear.

Money-spending-related-adrenaline is fun, and I'm very excited to receive the following in 4-5 business days..

Kick: Sennheiser E602 II
Snare: Shure SM57
Overheads: 2X Audio-Technica AT2020
Interface: Zoom R16

I have to admit, the Zoom took me quite by surprise. the built in Mics, the ability to run on batteries, the Mackie control DAW surface ability... What a nifty little toy.

I went with large condensers overhead because I really don't foresee myself buying tom mics any time soon. I think it was Bo who was recommending larger condensers overhead instead of SM82/PG81's. If we're wrong, it's far easier for me to hi-pass out the lower spectrum than it is to revive frequencies that weren't adequately captured in the first place. I'm also curious to see if they get enough of the snare that I can move the 57 to the wires underneath.

Looking forward to posting some samples when everything arrives.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Pulled the trigger on recording gear.

Kindly let me know how you end up liking your e602 II once you've had some time to play with it. I've been considering that same mic.

Also it seems that we're in the exact same position, let's-spend-money-and-then-record-drums-like-noobs-wise. This sounds more fun to go through with a fellow noob than some stuffy old fogey who knows what they're talking about already.

Off to update my own thread now...
Old 12-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Congratulations! And thanks for considering me on the big condensers. I think you're filling your mic cabinet with mics you can use for lots of other things, so that's a good well-rounded investment. The Zoom is a great choice too!

Ironically, since I've upgraded my mac computers (I now have the 27" iMac and a 13" MacBookAir), I've coupled the laptop with that little Behringer Xenyx302USB interface, that can either take ONE mic, or stereo-ins (RCA connectors no less!), and have been doing either one or two mic recordings with the kit, and I've been enjoying the process of learning how to do it all over again on the computer with a couple of mins. It's nice to have the Zoom at the ready if I need to mic a bunch of stuff all at once, but I must admit mine's been collecting dust for the last few weeks.

If I have to mic the whole kit, I could mic everything up through my Mackie mixer, and take the stereo out of that into the little Behringer too.

But have fun with that stuff! You'll learn a lot for sure!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Everything arrived yesterday, and I took the evening to set up. I just completed my first trial run, and I have to say I'm quite happy with what I have so far. Such a simple setup, no clutter, 4 mics, no phase issues to deal with other than getting the spaced-pair the proper distance(s).

My first dry audio recording. I didn't have to tweak a single thing on the Zoom. I just set it for Audio_Interface and recorded in garage-band. No EQ. No compression. Raw as raw can be. I 'did' pan the overheads, but that's it.

Without guitar http://youtu.be/AOwnaxaPr5I

Guitar added: http://youtu.be/MqiahLv8NFI

I want to thank Bo for the large diaphragm condenser suggestion. The toms really sing, and they capture everything I needed. I want to thank Bill Ray for the Zoom suggestion. This thing is awesome, simple, awesome.. Just awesome. I want to thank (I forget who it was?) on the E602 suggestion, as it appears to do a better job on my unported kick than my B52. I also want to thank my teacher for having the balls to teach a guitarist to play drums.

Shot of the AT2020 overheads:

Shot of the E602 BD mic

Front/Back of SM57 on the snare

The Zoom R16, within arms reach of the throne.

Yes... They're real!

Last edited by KamaK; 12-21-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

It turns out that, contrary to their advertising, you cannot use the R16 as a control surface in GarageBand.

From https://www.zoom-na.com/products/stu...ace-controller

Quote:
The R16 provides the perfect solution. Its Mackie Control™ emulation enables the R16 to act as a full-featured control surface for popular DAWs such as Cubase, Logic, and GarageBand, adding real faders and transport/status buttons that streamline the process of creating the perfect mix.
Wanting a transport in-reach of the drum throne was a big deal. In the short term, Logic-Control on the iPad will suffice.

The short of it is that Garage band doesn't have Mackie Control, only a proprietary midi control which differs from what the midi control that the Zoom driver provides.

Last edited by KamaK; 12-19-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:50 PM

Didn't know that about Garageband.

What I usually do is record on the Zoom stand-alone and then drag the files into Garageband (or Cubase, etc) and then you can work on them there. (I got that tip from Bo Eder)

Anyway, glad it's working out for you. I have AT2020's for overheads too. Good, aren't they? :-)

Last edited by Bonzo_CR; 12-22-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
I have AT2020's for overheads too. Good, aren't they? :-)
High quality - full spectrum stereo pairing with two $80 microphones. I can see how these things were a dream come true for artists on a budget. The results, especially on the toms, are absolutely remarkable. Bringing the cymbals up in the mix is now a slightly-counterintuitive low-cut, but that's a good thing because it avoids the artifacts that occur when boosting the highs.

Another up-side is that I get to hear feedback when I'm working on self-mixing and volume management while playing.

So far I'm really impressed with everything. The only thing I'm disappointed with is Cubase LE 7 (comes with the Zoom). It's like I'm back in 2001.

Do you have any audio samples of your rig?

@Jankowske -- The e602 II seems to do a great job on unported kicks. TBH, I've never used anything other than a B52 before on the ported ones, and the B52 has never really given me cause to change.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
It turns out that, contrary to their advertising, you cannot use the R16 as a control surface in GarageBand.

From https://www.zoom-na.com/products/stu...ace-controller

Wanting a transport in-reach of the drum throne was a big deal. In the short term, Logic-Control on the iPad will suffice.

The short of it is that Garage band doesn't have Mackie Control, only a proprietary midi control which differs from what the midi control that the Zoom driver provides.
Try Reaper. Works with the R16, and you can download a free fully functional demo. If you choose to buy, it's dirt cheap for personal use.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 AM

With my new macs in the house, I was definitely considering getting another USB interface or using my R16 as the interface, but the more I thought about it, it didn't make any sense.

The R16 is already a recorder, and the way I work with it now, I record all my tracks and then dump the SD card into GarageBand or Studio Logic depending on what I need. Just because I now have the ability to record directly into the mac doesn't mean I need to do it like that. The upside to recording this way is that I never have to have updated drivers for any software programs (especially using Apple's new Yosemite, which is really wonky on somethings right now).

So I'm kind of "six of one, half-a-dozen of the other" regarding how I record. The R16 makes a great field recorder the way I'm using it, I'll use the mac for post-production stuff.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
So I'm kind of "six of one, half-a-dozen of the other" regarding how I record. The R16 makes a great field recorder the way I'm using it, I'll use the mac for post-production stuff.

Indeed. I'd do field recording in the same manner as you. The single driving factor behind using GB/Mac as my home-DAW was the workflow. I'm doing online collaboration, and having the charts digitized shared and modified/updated in real time has been a godsend. Being able to send projects back and forth has been awesome.

The down side is that all this new tech makes me feel like such a grandpa.