DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Which resonant head?

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and I'm after a bit of advise, I've been putting a kit together bit by bit buying second hand, the tom set up is going to be 12"x9 rack and 16"x16 floor tom, I already have 22"x18 bass drum and the 12"x9 rack which are Premier astria. I'm thinking of re-skinning the rack as there seems to be alot of ring and will be fitting the floor tom with the same (when I have it) i've done some research and it seems that for a good all round sound and short sustain I should get Emperor coated heads. I can't seem to find many reso heads online unless there not listed as resonant but wondered what reso's would go well with these? i've been a drummer for many years but never had a full kit of my own just got by, by borrowing from a friend or using kits available in practise rooms so tuning and selecting skins is quite new to me, help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited by Sam1; 09-14-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Which resonant head?

Normally drummers use a 10 mil single ply clear head on the bottom, like a clear ambassador or a clear G1. You can also use a coated version of these heads. If you want a short note you could use a clear or coated 7.5 mil head like a diplomat. I don't care for these myself. You could also use a 2 ply clear or coated head as a resonant head. And Evans makes dedicated resonant heads. Basically any head you use as a batter head can be used as a resonant head. You just have to decide which heads make the tone you like. But the standard resonant head is a 10 mil single ply clear. The clears make it brighter and crisper than a coated, which will make the drum sound a little warmer. It's all about which tone you prefer.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:28 PM

Ok cheers, I havn't been able to find many resonant heads online but that explains it if batter heads can be used, i will probably go for clear ambassador, thanks
Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yes. Batter heads are what is used on the reso side. Evans is the only company I know that makes dedicated resonant heads. I am trying to find out the differences in construction/films between Evans batter and resonant lines.