DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM

Default Drum shield problems??

So, this group of guys I play with has a nice little studio in a basement. One of the main issues right now is not getting a good recorded drum sound. Both cymbals and drums sound subpar. We're working with pro drum gear, nice microphones, a nice mixer, a good DAW, but the drums still always sound like crap. I don't mix them, but my buddy says he does the best he can and spends hours with mixing.

We always have a drum shield up, and I'm starting to think that's what is killing the sound of my drums. What do you guys think? I'm looking for a 'full' drum sound, but with what we're getting now, you can totally tell they were recorded in a basement. I see kids on youtube playing blink 182 covers with one sm57 on the kit and their drums sound better than mine. What's the deal with that?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drum shield problems??

My guess is it's probably the acoustics of the room. If the shield is made of acrylic material the sound of the drums is bouncing right off the surface and going who knows where. What is your recording technique? Do you record all the instruments at once or individually? Try recording the drums by themselves without the shield and see if that makes a difference. Trial and error. In my opinion recording is more of an art than a science.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Thank you for your reply.

For this project, the drums are the only thing that are being recorded through mics, everything else is line in. Which is another reason i don't think we need the shield.
I think you are right though, and I'm going to try taking it down today and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky42091 View Post
Thank you for your reply.

For this project, the drums are the only thing that are being recorded through mics, everything else is line in. Which is another reason i don't think we need the shield.
I think you are right though, and I'm going to try taking it down today and see what happens.
Drum shields are specifically to prevent mic bleed. If everything else is line in, and there's no vocals going in at the same time, take it down.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Traditional drum shields create a lot of weird feedback due to the hard, flat surface of the acrylic. Not surprised you're having problems with it. Insulating material may help, but it does cost extra. Lining the shield with pyramid foam might help, but...