DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM

Default PDP Concept vs Ludwig Epic Euro?

Hi there! I am considering buying a 6 piece drum kit and am deciding between these two. They are pretty much the same price and I've heard great reviews for both of them. One thing I like about the Ludwig is that the toms are attached to the cymbal stands instead of the bass drum mount, making it easier to arrange the toms so that they would be most comfortable. On the other hand, PDP is DW's more affordable drums, and I know DW is pretty much always high quality. Which would you recommend?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: PDP Concept vs Ludwig Epic Euro?

Welcome to the forum!
Now let's get started. Have you searched for other kits used in your price range? My number one advice to players just getting started is to buy used. You have a chance at getting a much nicer kit for the same price.
If you insist on buying new, or can't find used ones locally, try to play one or both in a store. I've heard great things about the sound of Ludwig's Epic series, and PDP is very well respected as well. Both have similar quality, but different sound. The Ludwig's I think have birch in them, so the sound should be shorter, wetter, and brighter than the PDP maple. You really can't mess up with either.
I'd personally choose the Ludwigs because of the mounting, cool finishes, and unique shell construction. And because Ludwig rocks :).
Please feel free to ask any questions!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 AM
XplosiveDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post
The Ludwig's I think have birch in them, so the sound should be shorter, wetter, and brighter than the PDP maple. You really can't mess up with either.
Actually maple is the one described as being "wet" so with the Ludwigs being half maple and half birch it wouldn't be wetter than a full maple kit. Otherwise I agree 100% with your post.

IMO it depends on what you want your kit to look and sound like. I've heard the Epics on HD videos on Youtube and they have a very distinct sound to them. Very suitable for rock mostly but a great sound for rock at that. With the Concept, which is the same as the X7 maple, they are a bit more versatile. After coming across the Ludwig Epics in that Mahogany Burst about a year after I got these X7's I have become torn on the inside. I am really, REALLY digging these wooden burst finishes and to know I could of had a set like the Epics in that finish for pretty much the same price of the X7's I may of went that route instead..... BUT I also sit back and think about the bronze like finish on the hardware as well as the burst finish and it's a bit too retro looking to me. Really has a 60's or 70's look to it. I also like the more modern styles and that of the X7 with the X7 lugs and white pearlescent lacquer finish. I also like the limited edition Concept in the blue to black fade! That would of been awesome to have as a choice for the X7 at the time! If I hadn't of bought the X7's, my choice would have been the blue to black finish on the Concept.

Anyway lol, really it's up to you what you want your kit to look and sound like. IMO the Epic is more suited to rock and the Concept is an all around kit.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Both are advertised as budget professional kits. Meant to be on the level of saturns, renowns etc. They drop the price by having awful drumheads (if you reskin the kit to the same heads as saturns or renowns then your hitting the same price or often more). Both are great kits, but I slightly edge towards the epics as they are truly wonderful and unique sounding drums.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
XplosiveDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Both are advertised as budget professional kits. Meant to be on the level of saturns, renowns etc. They drop the price by having awful drumheads (if you reskin the kit to the same heads as saturns or renowns then your hitting the same price or often more). Both are great kits, but I slightly edge towards the epics as they are truly wonderful and unique sounding drums.
Uh, sorry I have to disagree with you on your comments about the kits and price differences and can't believe you don't know the difference. They do not drop the price because of being shipped with bad heads lol. While PDP M5's, X7's and Concepts are incredible incredible drums for their level they are only "pro" level because of the lacquer finishes, hardware such as lugs and tom mounts and a good bit being the quality of the shells and bearing edges. Though they are nowhere near Saturns, Renowns, Starclassics etc. Also no, even if you reskin a 7 piece X7 or Concept it's only about $250 more which if you get discounts at the place you buy the stuff can still keep it close to under a grand which gets nowhere close to those sets mentioned. Not to mention if you just get a 5 or 6 piece Concept.

IMO I'm 50/50 on which kit I would get. The only finishes that look good are the natural birch and the mahogany burst. Even then and because of the color of the hardware Ludwig uses it's a bit too retro looking. It's really a tough choice over the burst and Concepts.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Uh, sorry I have to disagree with you on your comments about the kits and price differences [...] They do not drop the price because of being shipped with bad heads lol.
Yeah, I don't think they're on the same level as Renowns/Saturns. They're still quite good though. I'd probably go for the Concepts as I like maple & PDP's hardware on the Concept kits more than the Epics. But, I would really recommend getting an idea of how they sound in person first- just trying a maple kit vs. a birch kit might help you make up your mind. Otherwise, you're basically throwing darts as to which kit you'll like better.