DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 AM
rocket_man21 rocket_man21 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
Default Battle of the Cymbals!

I just want to see if anyone has any input to these three cymbals im looking at buying one of these or maybe one that you know of thats similar! Any input would be appreciated, which one you think is best, worst, which you would spend money on or wouldnt?

The cymbals are;
24" Istanbul Turk Jazz Ride
24" Dream Bliss Small Bell Flat Ride
22" Bosphorus Turk Ride
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Winston_Wolf's Avatar
Winston_Wolf Winston_Wolf is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,153
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

I used to own the 24" Dream Bliss Small Bell Flat Ride. It's a little heavier than most Bliss rides so the stick sound was pretty clear but still smoky and dark. The wash gave a nice cushion and it wasn't too trashy or too loud because the small bell really keeps it under control. It's a very full sounding cymbal.

If you wanted a big cymbal for acoustic/low volume music it would be a good choice, but in spite of its size and the fact it's heavy (for a Bliss) it isn't much of a cutting cymbal, it is still all about blending.

If I still played small combo jazz I'd probably still own it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2013, 03:00 PM
rocket_man21 rocket_man21 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I used to own the 24" Dream Bliss Small Bell Flat Ride. It's a little heavier than most Bliss rides so the stick sound was pretty clear but still smoky and dark. The wash gave a nice cushion and it wasn't too trashy or too loud because the small bell really keeps it under control. It's a very full sounding cymbal.

If you wanted a big cymbal for acoustic/low volume music it would be a good choice, but in spite of its size and the fact it's heavy (for a Bliss) it isn't much of a cutting cymbal, it is still all about blending.

If I still played small combo jazz I'd probably still own it.
Thanks man that sounds awesome! all the videos ive seen and heard of the Dream cymbal have ALL sounded really good and jazzy! Appreciate the feedback!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 PM
RickP's Avatar
RickP RickP is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 878
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

What kind of music are you playing ? Are you looking for a main ride ? Are you looking for something to crash on as well ? It is hard to offer up recommendations without a better idea of what you are going to be using it for.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2013, 05:46 PM
rocket_man21 rocket_man21 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
What kind of music are you playing ? Are you looking for a main ride ? Are you looking for something to crash on as well ? It is hard to offer up recommendations without a better idea of what you are going to be using it for.
Well they are all jazzy cymbals so ill be playing jazz/funk stuff, and yes i like to use them for crashability as well which they all have pretty good crash qualities in my opinion, I just like to hear others input to stuff they may have used themselves or heard others use. It would most likely become my main ride
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 PM
slowrocker's Avatar
slowrocker slowrocker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 550
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

I have heard the 24 inch contact flat ride cymbal and it was amazing. I think the Bliss is somewhat similar sound with that particular ride. Maybe a little washier than the contact. I have not played the others however.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-10-2013, 06:44 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

Make sure you play the actual Dream you're considering buying-- I wouldn't purchase one blind. Same goes for the Istanbul-- some of them are great, but I've also heard some funky ones. I've never heard a bad Bosphorus in the normal lighter to light medium range, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one without playing it. Beware of heavier ones, or of extremely thin ones. After using at least a couple of them in my set up for a number of years, I've kind of concluded that Bosphorus cymbals don't really cut it for normal-volume unmiked live playing, though. I would also pick your 24" cymbals very carefully, and stay away from them completely if, like a lot of people, you are having to do a lot of very soft playing.
__________________
Visit: Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 PM
rocket_man21 rocket_man21 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Make sure you play the actual Dream you're considering buying-- I wouldn't purchase one blind. Same goes for the Istanbul-- some of them are great, but I've also heard some funky ones. I've never heard a bad Bosphorus in the normal lighter to light medium range, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one without playing it. Beware of heavier ones, or of extremely thin ones. After using at least a couple of them in my set up for a number of years, I've kind of concluded that Bosphorus cymbals don't really cut it for normal-volume unmiked live playing, though. I would also pick your 24" cymbals very carefully, and stay away from them completely if, like a lot of people, you are having to do a lot of very soft playing.
No one in my local area carries dream bosphorus or istanbul in store, georges music or guitarcenter haha so i kinda have to buy blind good thing about GC is they have a decent return policy! why dont the bosphorus do well in live unmiked volume setting in your opinion? too loud? or is it something else
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 357
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

I can tell you from experience Dream cymbals vary quite a bit. I had the fortunate opportunity when I had my Dream cymbal set to go to Lonestar Percussion and try out about 50 in their warehouse. Tell you the truth I went through pretty much all of them before I found a set that I liked. Every cymbal pretty much sounded completely different. If you find great ones, they are wonderful... though there are some duds. The hardest thing I would say is just finding the sound that's in your head.

As for Bosphorus or Istanbul you could check out http://www.mycymbal.com as they have videos of each exact cymbal they have in stock. So you can listen to it before you buy.
__________________
Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Pros practice until they can't get it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 AM
johnnylaw's Avatar
johnnylaw johnnylaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 270
Default Re: Battle of the Cymbals!

I just played a couple of Istanbul Turks yesterday and loved them. Dark and moody wash, and a nice stick sound. Good sounds.

I have a 16" Bliss crash that is to die for. They can hit a home run from time to time.
__________________
Yamaha Tour Custom Maple Bop kit with MCA Snare
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com