DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Default S Hoops?

They seem like a great investment, to protect bearing edges, and such. My concern is how they curve back down towards the head. This wouldn't be a problem with my tom heads, but I usually crank my snare head super tight, and I'm concerned that the hoop would come in contact with the head and choke the drum.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: S Hoops?

There seems to be plenty of clearance for me... my only complaint is that you can't stack drums with S-hoops on anything, they slide around too much.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 PM

One other consideration is if you gig out and mic the drums. Some rim mounted mic clamps won't work with S hoops.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC68 View Post
One other consideration is if you gig out and mic the drums. Some rim mounted mic clamps won't work with S hoops.
Pretty much the only slight downside. In all other respects, they're a very well crafted & credible alternative hoop that delivers a distinctive set of characteristics & sonic choice. We use them - they work :)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

I have one on my 13" snare. Plenty of clearance. I bought it because I play lots of rimshots and use a lot of sticks because of that. The thicker flange/angle helps with that .
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

i have S-Hoops on my big band / jazz kit & they are insanely good. same with a 13 x 7" nickel plated brass snare. sick. pics are below.

on the S-Hoops...took an adjustment period but now it's pure joy. initially i was concerned about having less head (vs triple flange or die cast) area but it is so minimal, not an issue. i didn't think about protecting the bearing edges but the definitely do this better than most hoops. also nothing is touching the head, the rim curves over the head similar to Slingerland "stick savers" from the 70s. but w/ the S-Hoops the "curve" is a complete right angle / flat.

in general this is the vibe: CRAZY rim-shots, fat and beautiful (maybe a month adjustment here). cross-sticks are fat & loud w/ the addition of so many other tones including "glassy" clicks. massive, massive opportunities for anything Latin: tom rim-shots, Latin fills, cascara patterns, cross-sticks. the fatter rim surface even allows for much cooler whole drum-set "rim solos". did one last week where the vibe was quiet dinner music in a latin tune. sounded great. then on top of this, the drums just sound GOOD & focused. like a hi-quality triple flange plus a die cast hoop...focused & pure. something about the tone sustain is optimized (kit originally had tripel flanges).

Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

That all sounds great! I play in a ska band, so fat rim shots and cross-sticking is pretty necessary. I think I'll start with some for my snare, and see how that sounds, initially.

Anybody know where to find the best prices on a decent pair of these?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
That all sounds great! I play in a ska band, so fat rim shots and cross-sticking is pretty necessary. I think I'll start with some for my snare, and see how that sounds, initially.

From me, but the shipping would kill that deal ;)

Seriously - the deal with S hoops is simply this. We've tested them extensively, albeit on very high end drums only, but you yield the biggest differences on high end solid shells, so it's a great indicator for all drums.

They fall pretty much in between 2.3mm triple flange & good quality die cast hoops in terms of focus & high overtone suppression. Their mass is slightly above that of a quality 2.3mm triple flange hoop, but far less than a die cast hoop. Hoop mass plays a big part in head sustain, & a lesser roll in shell resonance. It won't alter how much shell resonance you get, that's down to shell construction, & to a lesser extent, bearing edge form, but increased mass will shorten the note.

Rigidity at a fairly low mass premium is what S hoops bring to the party. Of course, results will vary considerably from drum to drum. Frankly, the majority of drum designs out there are not that resonant (as distinct from head sustain), so S hoops will have the most noticeable affect on head sustain & high overtones rather than shell resonance (the stuff that actually shapes the fundamental tone characteristics).

Hope this helps :)
Old 08-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

They seem to be about $20 per hoop most places- comfortably between ~$10 for triple flange and ~$40 for die-cast.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

... I'm concerned that the hoop would come in contact with the head and choke the drum...

I have S hoops on a kit.
I sometimes need to play quietly, and can fit Sound Off pads between the hoop and the head, so I don't think you need to have concerns about clearance. They stay tucked in place nicely too.
When used normally, I have only positive things to say about them.
Well worth the cost. Your idea of getting one for your snare is a good place to start.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

S-HOOPS are great on the set you want to protect bearing edges on.

The downward curve for me doesn't translated to a crisp crosstick as easily as a sharper die cast for example, and consistent rim shots do take a bit of adjustment.

Also there's a lot of real estate under the rim w/S-HOOPS, chrome does not adhere well to underneath, concaved surfaces. Im finding the undersides showing early signs of rust fairly quick and a need to keep mineral oil applied liberally to those surfaces.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:31 AM
Gold Member

I tried those, prefer reverse flange or Slingerland style better.