DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Ludwig wrap questions

I was wondering if anyone knows what company Ludwig used as a source for their wraps. I have a 22 and 24" bass drum that are both wrapped with 2 pieces of wrap. Obviously the wrap manufacturer didn't make them in sheets long enough to go around bass drums. Which to me seems odd. I was also wondering if that company is still in business. It seems like the wraps of today cannot quite capture the look of the wraps from the 60s and 70's. Like if I wanted to re wrap my drums, can I get wrap from the same company that looks like the vintage wraps?
Thanks.

Gomez Addams
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ludwig wrap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows what company Ludwig used as a source for their wraps. I have a 22 and 24" bass drum that are both wrapped with 2 pieces of wrap. Obviously the wrap manufacturer didn't make them in sheets long enough to go around bass drums. Which to me seems odd. I was also wondering if that company is still in business. It seems like the wraps of today cannot quite capture the look of the wraps from the 60s and 70's. Like if I wanted to re wrap my drums, can I get wrap from the same company that looks like the vintage wraps?
Thanks.
Larry,Ludwig used Delmar and a company in Italy for a time,for their wraps.The standard length for a pearl/sparkle or oyster wrap is 54",which is pretty universal.That's why on bass drum and larger floor toms,the wrap is in two pieces,with seams on the bottom,or facing wway from the audience.

Cortex and PVC wraps sometimes were made in a large roll,so you couls have a single seam in the wrap.(HMMMM I seem to be talking quite a lot...about seams these days).

Matching the exact color or pattern is difficult since from lot to lot,patterns and color didn't always match,somewhat like paint and ceramic tiles.

The closest you can come to a match is with Precision drum company ,they have a computer assisted program to closely match or make custom patterns for wraps.It's not cheap.

They did sell a vintage yellowed and a Slingerland "blued" WMP wrap,but I'm not sure if they still do.

Remember,Ludwig used several versions of WMP and oyster blue/black.

Steve B
Old 08-22-2013, 02:11 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Larry,Ludwig used Delmar and a company in Italy for a time,for their wraps.The standard lenght for a pearl/sparkle or oyster wrap is 54",which is pretty universal.That's way on bass drum ans larger floor toms,the wrap is in two pieces.

Cortex and PVC wraps sometime were made in a large roll.

Matching the exact color or pattern is difficult since from lot to lot,patterns and color didn't always match,somewhat like paint and ceramic tiles.

The closest you can come to a match is with Precision drum company ,that has a computer assisted program to match or make custom patterns for wraps.It's not cheap.

They did sell a vintage yellowed and a Slingerland "blued" WMP wrap,but I'm not sure if they still do.

Remember,Ludwig used several versions of WMP and oyster blue/black.

Steve B
Several versions you say. Meaning what exactly? I notice some WMP has a rectangular "block" shaped pattern, and some patterns are chaotic by comparison. Is this what you mean?

Gomez Addams
Old 08-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Gold Member

The most common different versions I've seen are the triangular chip pattern, the large random chip pattern, and the small random chip pattern. Jammin' Sam sells the first two. Not sure if the small pattern is available to buy for re-wrap and if so who sells it. Is your kit WMP?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Gold Member

Precision Drum and Jammin Sam are the two I know best, I'd start looking there to see if you can find what you are looking for. Some of the older wraps are harder to replicate because of changes in how the plastics were formulated back then.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM
The Old Hyde

Precision sells the wrap that need the adhesive applied to the entire wrap and shell, jamming sam sells the stuff with only a 2 inch strip of adhesive on the overlap. a little aside, the wrap from every usa made Ludwig kit has been applied by the same woman< she looks like a little old lady, for decades! it was in a modern drummer article a few months ago.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Several versions you say. Meaning what exactly? I notice some WMP has a rectangular "block" shaped pattern, and some patterns are chaotic by comparison. Is this what you mean?
Yes my friend.Ludwig and others used different wraps with different patterns,and called the wrap by the same name over the years.

If you look at a catalog from the late 40's and compare it to a mid 60's catalog,the WMP wrap is different....but still identifiable as WMP.

The same is true of all the pearl and sparkle wraps.

WMP and Oyster blue and black,are commonly used as reference.This may or may not,have been the drum companys idea.

Sometimes the wrap manufactures,changed things up because or problems with raw materials,or by doing so,increased their profit margine.Bottom line,their in business to make money....no money...no business.

Thw wraps used by all drum companys,have undergone changes over the years.

So matching a 70's WMP pattern to what passes today for WMP,of even vintage WMP,may be problematic.

Your absolute best bet here is, Precision Drum company

Steve B