DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Default Went to Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville, TN... Awesome!

Hey guys! I went to Nashville, TN this past weekend for a trip with my lovely girlfriend and of course, Fork's was at the top of "my" list of places to stop. Drove down Friday during the day and got to Fork's around mid-afternoon. I just wanted to stop in there real quick to see what to expect, planning to come back on Saturday to spend more time.

Anyway, I was met by Matt Forkum, who I assume is the owners son. I told him I've been watching a Yamaha kit they have on eBay for a few weeks and asked if I could see it. He walked me in the back room (pictures 4, 5, and 6 below) and showed me that it was on the top shelf. He said he'd get it down for me to try when I return on Saturday. He asked what cymbals I liked (Paiste 2002) and said it would be setup and ready when I got there. I do have to admit that I didn't really expect anything to be setup until I showed up the next day ready to try (and maybe buy.)

To my surprise, I showed up the next day and everything was ready to go. He walked me back, got me some sticks, and told me I could hang around until they closed if I wanted. LOL

I played a bit, then another really nice sales guy came back and offered to play the kit, so I could hear it from the audience perspective. Very cool of him to offer that out of the blue! I took him up on it, of course.

After a bit, I told Matt I'd take the kit and was interested in bags. He chuckled and said he suspected that, then handed me a few options he already worked out with prices and stuff. We sat there and fitted the bags to the drums (used a smaller size on the floor tom, so it would fit snug.)

He helped me carry the drums to my car, threw in a free pair of sticks, and a free Fork's T-shirt. I gotta tell you guys, I've never been treated like this before. I think the fine folks at Fork's Drum Closet are the nicest people I've ever met running a music instrument shop. It was a ridiculously good experience and I HIGHLY recommend them!

I didn't realize until I left that he also gave me a price break on everything without me even asking or trying to negotiate. WOW

Unfortunately, I only got pics of that back room where I was setup and the impressive snare closet. The store isn't enormous, but it has really nice gear readily available in stock and it's laid out very neatly.

I wanna go back!

PS - Yes, that's a new Yamaha Live Oak kit that I bought. Haven't spent much time with it yet, but I'll post a review and videos this week, so watch out for that if you're interested in these kits.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Went to Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville, TN... Awesome!

I also made a similar trip and post about Memphis Drum Shop a short while back. That place was freaking awesome too! It's huge and very, very nice. The cymbal room is amazing.

The folks at Memphis Drum Shop treated me well too, but it didn't feel quite as "down home" or something. It had a fancier feel to the place. More boutique'ish feeling than Forks, even though they both have the same high-dollar gear.

Here's the Memphis Drum Shop post> http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...phis+drum+shop
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Great story, thanks for sharing that. Congratulations on the set!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

is that a satin black finish?

im diggin the short snout bass
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 PM

That is awesome. Congrats on the new kit.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM

Hmmmm...Nashville is only about 4 1/2 hour drive from Indy. "Oh Honey!!!!" ;-)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 PM

I hope to visit that place someday. That's awesome that they treated you so well there. If they keep it up they'll be in business for a long time.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

Chris that's awesome man , thanks for sharing that!! I am so doing that Nashville trip/ pilgrimage to Forks and Memphis drum shop someday...

Welcome to the Yamaha family.
You still have your Green Sparkle Ludwigs, right?

Being a multiple kit Yamaha fanboy, I just joined the Ludwig clan myself. LOL.

Will be looking for your in depth review on the new live oaks after you get some time on them!

Congrats, they are beautiful.

Neal
Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
is that a satin black finish?

im diggin the short snout bass
I'm not the biggest fan of the new matte finishes that are all the rage on guitar, drums, motorcycles, etc... But this one is slightly different. It's what I'd call a "semi-gloss" or something. It actually is MUCH cooler than I thought it would be, so I'm really happy about that!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Chris that's awesome man , thanks for sharing that!! I am so doing that Nashville trip/ pilgrimage to Forks and Memphis drum shop someday...

Welcome to the Yamaha family.
You still have your Green Sparkle Ludwigs, right?

Being a multiple kit Yamaha fanboy, I just joined the Ludwig clan myself. LOL.

Will be looking for your in depth review on the new live oaks after you get some time on them!

Congrats, they are beautiful.

Neal
First of all, thanks everyone. You owe yourself a trip to Fork's if you're in the area. Well worth it!!!

Neal - I sold the green sparkle Ludwig kit a few weeks ago. I have no complaints about it, but I just couldn't get along with it for some reason. I had it for a year and never really bonded with it as much as I hoped. I think the 24" bass drum and 13" rack tom may have been the culprits (positioning, tone, playability, etc...)

I'm not the strongest drummer in the world (I'm very average), so having things positioned just right and feeling comfortable is a big deal with me at this point.

I gotta say that I'm digging this kit, that's for sure. Exact vintage sizes I wanted with a modern build, it's really cool looking, and it feels high quality. I also wanted the tom mounted to the bass drum, so this setup may work out very well for me!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
First of all, thanks everyone. You owe yourself a trip to Fork's if you're in the area. Well worth it!!!

Neal - I sold the green sparkle Ludwig kit a few weeks ago. I have no complaints about it, but I just couldn't get along with it for some reason. I had it for a year and never really bonded with it as much as I hoped. I think the 24" bass drum and 13" rack tom may have been the culprits (positioning, tone, playability, etc...)

I'm not the strongest drummer in the world (I'm very average), so having things positioned just right and feeling comfortable is a big deal with me at this point.

I gotta say that I'm digging this kit, that's for sure. Exact vintage sizes I wanted with a modern build, it's really cool looking, and it feels high quality. I also wanted the tom mounted to the bass drum, so this setup may work out very well for me!
Ahh Ok, I hear you about the comfort/setup thing. I could never be comfortable with a 13" tom mounted on a stand to the left of a 24" kick. Just not what I'm used to.
I am sure you will get along with the new kit, they look real comfortable. And you have some killer cymbals to go with it...and some Atlas hardware still or did that go with the kit you sold? Yamaha 700 series hardware is hard to beat but it is heavier and not as compact as the Atlas stuff...

Neal
Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Ahh Ok, I hear you about the comfort/setup thing. I could never be comfortable with a 13" tom mounted on a stand to the left of a 24" kick. Just not what I'm used to.
I am sure you will get along with the new kit, they look real comfortable. And you have some killer cymbals to go with it...and some Atlas hardware still or did that go with the kit you sold? Yamaha 700 series hardware is hard to beat but it is heavier and not as compact as the Atlas stuff...

Neal
Yeah, the 13" off to the side of the 24" kick was kinda weird to me. I still have the Yamaha and Atlas hardware. I plan to still gig with the Atlas hardware. It kicks butt!

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Congrats on the new kit.......................I like the shallower depth of the kick......................reminds me of the bass drums I grew up playing

I've been through Nashville several times, but never made it to Forks.........................one day....................I think I'd be like a kid in a candy store
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing! Cool story. Fork's has had a good rep for ages--sounds like for good reason!

The shop I go to is a lot like like this place. I can't tell you how many things over the years that I have been able to take home and try out--even if I didn't buy. I've been going there for over 30 years now.

Sounds like the Yamaha kit is gonna be a cool one for you! I saw a video of one of these Oak Live kits, and it sounded awesome on that, so in person it's gotta be even better.
A great deal on top of it is icing on the trip!!

Have fun!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

That kit is a real stunner. I love shallow bass drums, and that finish is quite nice too. Sounds like a great time too!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Thanks again, guys. I spent more time with the kit last night and I think I have it dialed in where I want it. I ended up swapping the clear Emperors on the tom batters with clear Ambassadors, put an Aquarian SK1 on the bass batter, a coated Ambassador on the bass reso, and an Evans pillow touching both heads (another advantage of the 14" depth!)

I'm waiting until I make a video to post a review and I haven't had a chance to do that yet. Tonight is my last chance until next week, so it may be a few days before I post anything (unless I feel really productive tonight.)

I will say that I truly enjoy this kit so far and I think I may have found the "perfect" kit for me at the moment, as far as features, sound, sizes, and looks. That's a pretty cool feeling.

PS - I reserve the right to get tired and sell these drums at any point in the future. ha ha
Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

"At the moment" hahaha!

My friend, Billy Baker has a line of snares he's built at Fork's now. They just announced it the other day. That's pretty cool, he does great work.

Have fun with your kit!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

I was there once.

Awesome place.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Your story is typical. I taught there for years when I lived in Nashville. It's a great shop with tons of stuff and it's packed with friendly and knowledgeable drummers.

Oh, and they have a remote warehouse with about 3X the inventory you see in the store. When in Nashville, go to Fork's!!!
billbachman.net
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 AM

Love Fork's! We'll be back there for an in-store on Thursday, October 3!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM

I love Fork's! I took lessons from Harry Wilkinson for a few years in my early teens. At one point I lived on Dallas ave around the corner from the shop on 12th. They always had great clinics as well and would have the sets played by the pros on sell the next day in the shop. Gary Forkum was and the all employees were great to me, my mom and all the kids that took lessons there. One sales associate even let me help him tech for a studio gig he had. I have so many fond memories of Fork's that I'll always cherish. I hope I can get back there one of these days!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareRib View Post
I love Fork's! I took lessons from Harry Wilkinson for a few years in my early teens. At one point I lived on Dallas ave around the corner from the shop on 12th. They always had great clinics as well and would have the sets played by the pros on sell the next day in the shop. Gary Forkum was and the all employees were great to me, my mom and all the kids that took lessons there. One sales associate even let me help him tech for a studio gig he had. I have so many fond memories of Fork's that I'll always cherish. I hope I can get back there one of these days!
Very nice comments from everyone. That place is a class act and it sounds like they always have been... Thumbs up for Forks, for sure!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

I just made a post (with video) of the new Yamaha set. Check it out if you're interested.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...51#post1172551

Chris