DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM

Default Good electronic drums?

Hi guys, I have been playing acoustic drums throughout my entire drumming experience, but now that I live in an apartment, I feel that it would be wise to get some electronic drums.. So I just want to ask the community, what electronic kits do you think are good? (preferably $1000 or less)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Good electronic drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo_ View Post
Hi guys, I have been playing acoustic drums throughout my entire drumming experience, but now that I live in an apartment, I feel that it would be wise to get some electronic drums.. So I just want to ask the community, what electronic kits do you think are good? (preferably $1000 or less)
At $1k, you're looking at Yamaha 5xx, Roland TD10, and Alesis DM10.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but electronic drums don't really get "good" until you're looking at the flagship offerings (TD30 for example), which are prohibitively expensive and extremely overpriced. The $1000 offerings are sufficient for practicing limb independence and groove playing.

There are other avenues you could explore, such as acoustic/electric conversions with mesh heads. I have not found anything that has really jumped out at me at the $1000 price range.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 PM

Jobeky perhaps, a hybrid Lorenzo suggested and you choose your desired module... 2Box for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdb_H2vvqk
Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM

If you get a decent module and trigger (such as a DM10), you might consider just using the MIDI out to trigger decent sounds off your computer.

Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.4
Steven Slate Drums
Native Instrument's Abbey Road Drums

All these are awesome tools for e drums, and really aren't referenced enough.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
At $1k, you're looking at Yamaha 5xx, Roland TD10, and Alesis DM10.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but electronic drums don't really get "good" until you're looking at the flagship offerings (TD30 for example), which are prohibitively expensive and extremely overpriced. The $1000 offerings are sufficient for practicing limb independence and groove playing.

There are other avenues you could explore, such as acoustic/electric conversions with mesh heads. I have not found anything that has really jumped out at me at the $1000 price range.
Actually, remember that the Roland TD-10 was at one time, Roland's flagship model (I had a new one that cost about $5500 back then) and even today it's still pretty good - but used I've found them in that $1400-1900 range depending on condition.

I think the TD-10 module is pretty good. Maybe you can find a used one of those ($350-400-ish) and get some cheap pads for it for now and then build it up with the actual V-drum pads as they can be found.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 PM

That's exactly what I'd do. Buy a decent module and convert a cheap acoustic kit to electronic.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

I would look for a well-kept used kit.