DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

I have a 4pc Starclassic Birch but I just came to a pawn shop that has a recent model 3pc Pearl Masters Studio for $299 (they have no idea what they have). The Tama sounds great but the Pearl sounds amazing too! I actually like the sound a tad bit more. I could sell my Tamas and break even, but I'd lose a 12" tom since the Pearl is a 3pc... would you pull the trigger. By the way, the Pearl appears to be only a few years old and in great condition
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:36 AM
LanceMCA LanceMCA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Grand Bend, Ontario Canada
Posts: 85
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

what are the sizes of the Masters??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceMCA View Post
what are the sizes of the Masters??
10x8 rack tom, 14x12 floor tom and 22x18 virgin kick drum.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

The other reason I'm seriously considering the Pearl is because they are in such great condition! They look almost brand new ( they have the newer style opti-mounts and the finish is nearly flawless), whereas my Tama kit sounds great but has many dings and bruises from previous years of gigging without protection and neglect ( I got them used for a good price)! My Tama kit has some deep gashes, some rust on the hoops and mounts, and some fading/discoloration in the lacquer finish. It isn't noticeable from off stage, but noticeable within 5-10 feet.

Also, I love birch drums and want to expand the size of my kit and it is hard to find add on toms for the Tama because it is discontinued! I already found a matching 15" tom for the Pearl kit that I would consider adding! The Pearl sounds a little bit more punchy, probably due to the thicker shell. I'm a birch guy so there no confusion as to why I loved the sound of these drums, but also my other kit is a 6pc Pearl Prestige Session Select and I could use the same hardware for both kits.

Also, whenever I want to use more than 2 toms, I could use the other kit because I only use the 10" and the 14" from the Tama on most gigs anyway.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 AM
LanceMCA LanceMCA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Grand Bend, Ontario Canada
Posts: 85
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

ok... I think at $300.00 for the Masters its worth your while to just keep your tamas and still buy the masters. They're WAY different sounding drums. Also I would look at finding a 16" tom instead of the 15", simply because of resale... If you do plan on selling the Masters one day, the 16 is a far more appealing size. I had a 15" with my masters studio birch and it tuned like crap...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceMCA View Post
ok... I think at $300.00 for the Masters its worth your while to just keep your tamas and still buy the masters. They're WAY different sounding drums. Also I would look at finding a 16" tom instead of the 15", simply because of resale... If you do plan on selling the Masters one day, the 16 is a far more appealing size. I had a 15" with my masters studio birch and it tuned like crap...
Already got it... I couldn't let this one pass! They wanted $399 for it and someone had it on layaway for $299 but they forgot to put it off of the sales floor, which is how I saw it. I asked I could get it if I bought it outright, and they allowed it. I kind of feel sorry for the guy who had it on layaway, but they said cash in hand is better than cash on a plan.*

I put a coated Remo Emperor on the 10x8 and a coated Remo Vintage Emperor on the floor tom. I put an Evans Gmad on the kick. This set sounds really good and I think the natural finish is just classy and beautiful! The Tama is slightly warmer and the Pearl is a little bit more punchy and projects a little better (but still great warmth). They have that great birch sound that I love! I'm loving the sound .They look amazing. They are definitely in much better condition than my Tama kit.*

I like 15" toms, but I definitely want to add a 16" floor tom. I plan to keep it, so resale isn't really a worry, but who knows. I planned on keeping the Tamas until I saw and hard these. I want to add to it over time.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Terrence R's Avatar
Terrence R Terrence R is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 627
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Yikes! Someone please remind me in the future not to put anything on layaway where Dirtysticks shops. I would be furious. Especially for a kit like that. The original buyer probably had his heart set on that kit.
__________________
Pearl Vision, Pearl Export
Sonor force
AAX, A Custom, Avedis, HHX, Byzance
DW, Gilbrator

Last edited by Terrence R; 07-31-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence R View Post
Yikes! Someone please remind me in the future not to put anything on layaway where Dirtysticks shops. I would be furious. Especially for a kit like that. The original buyer probably had his heart set on that kit.
I feel for the guy. He had put in on layaway on 7/11/13 and they never took it off the sales floor. When I started looking at it, they immediately went into a sales pitch about how good this"mahogany" drums were and how happy they would make me (they were clueless as to what they really were). I told them that they were birch, and they said "no they're not, they are too light to be birch." I then showed them the badge that stated birch right on it. When they looked in the system to try to work out pricing with me, they saw that they were on layaway. Itoldthem to call me if the layaway fell through. They suggested that if I could buy them outright, then they were mine to take. I felt bad, but not bad enough to not get them lol! They knew nothing about the drums at all, all they wanted was the little green rectangles of paper smh.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Terrence R's Avatar
Terrence R Terrence R is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 627
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Odd that u say that THEY suggested that u buy it out right. Because in your original purchasing post, you say that YOU suggested that you buy it out, and they allowed it.
__________________
Pearl Vision, Pearl Export
Sonor force
AAX, A Custom, Avedis, HHX, Byzance
DW, Gilbrator
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Headshrinker's Avatar
Headshrinker Headshrinker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neverlands
Posts: 51
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysticks View Post
Already got it... I couldn't let this one pass!
Understandable. D*mn' fine drums at a bargain. Enjoy 'em!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence R View Post
Odd that u say that THEY suggested that u buy it out right. Because in your original purchasing post, you say that YOU suggested that you buy it out, and they allowed it.
The first time I went in there (on Monday), is when I saw the kit and has the conversation about purchasing it. That is when we found out it was on layaway. I asked if I could get it if I bought it right then and there. They were apprehensive, so I left them my number and told them to call me 1st if the deal fell through. That's when I put up the post asking for other drummer's opinions on here. They called me back yesterday and told me that I could get if I just bought it outright. They said "cash in hand is better than cash on a plan." So I went back and bought the kit
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence R View Post
Odd that u say that THEY suggested that u buy it out right. Because in your original purchasing post, you say that YOU suggested that you buy it out, and they allowed it.
The first time I went in there (on Monday), is when I saw the kit and has the conversation about purchasing it. That is when we found out it was on layaway. I asked if I could get it if I bought it right then and there. They were apprehensive, so I left them my number and told them to call me 1st if the deal fell through. They called me back yesterday and told me that I could get if I just bought it outright. They said "cash in hand is better than cash on a plan." That's when I put up this post asking other drummer's opinions. After weighing it out and thinking about everything from condition to the sound, to the super low price, I went back and bought the kit.

Sorry for the long version of the whole story.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Ian Ballard's Avatar
Ian Ballard Ian Ballard is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 734
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

You would have to PAY me to trade my Tamas for Pearls.

You have a real deal Made in Japan Starclassic. I'd keep it. Just try different heads/tuning.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
You would have to PAY me to trade my Tamas for Pearls.

You have a real deal Made in Japan Starclassic. I'd keep it. Just try different heads/tuning.
Right now, I have them both and I've toyed around with the idea of keeping the Tama kit. The Tama sounds great with my favorite heads (Coated Emperors) and so does the Pearl kit, but I hear slight differences between them. They sound differentt from each other, but in my opinion, not different enough to keep them both. I like the added punch and protection from the Pearl kit and I feel like it is easier to add onto the Pearl since the Tama birch kit is discontinued. Plus the condition of the Pearl is so much nicer. I have a friend that wants to buy the Tama kit, so most likely I'll sell it to him because I know he'll appreciate them like I do. My other Pearl kit (P earl Prestige Session Select= maple/mahogany) sounds totally different from the birch kits. I don't want 3 kits, especially when 2 of the kits are similar.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals

Last edited by Dirtysticks; 08-01-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:45 AM
FoolInTheRain's Avatar
FoolInTheRain FoolInTheRain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 468
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

How does the 12x14 tune up?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 AM
v.zarate's Avatar
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 931
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

do we get to see pictures of it?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Ian Ballard's Avatar
Ian Ballard Ian Ballard is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 734
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysticks View Post
Right now, I have them both and I've toyed around with the idea of keeping the Tama kit. The Tama sounds great with my favorite heads (Coated Emperors) and so does the Pearl kit, but I hear slight differences between them. They sound differentt from each other, but in my opinion, not different enough to keep them both. I like the added punch and protection from the Pearl kit and I feel like it is easier to add onto the Pearl since the Tama birch kit is discontinued. Plus the condition of the Pearl is so much nicer. I have a friend that wants to buy the Tama kit, so most likely I'll sell it to him because I know he'll appreciate them like I do. My other Pearl kit (P earl Prestige Session Select= maple/mahogany) sounds totally different from the birch kits. I don't want 3 kits, especially when 2 of the kits are similar.
I can dig it man. I was messin' with ya. I've always loved Tama birch drums. The ORIGINAL Superstars and the first gen Artstars were fabulous instruments. I've always been partial to the tone and attack of birch over maple and frankly I tried DOZENS of kits out and, regardless of price, I picked Silverstar. Super-thin shells and that have flawless bearing edges, where the counter-cut is almost in the middle of shell. This makes tuning them really easy and the head vibrates with the shell a lot more. To me, it isn't just because I'm a fan of Tama's stuff, they really know how to make birch drums right, perhaps slightly behind Yamaha. I do like some of the Pearl birch offerings but the tom mounts have always been a drawback for me, which is a bit superficial I know. Hope you enjoy that kit though!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
I can dig it man. I was messin' with ya. I've always loved Tama birch drums. The ORIGINAL Superstars and the first gen Artstars were fabulous instruments. I've always been partial to the tone and attack of birch over maple and frankly I tried DOZENS of kits out and, regardless of price, I picked Silverstar. Super-thin shells and that have flawless bearing edges, where the counter-cut is almost in the middle of shell. This makes tuning them really easy and the head vibrates with the shell a lot more. To me, it isn't just because I'm a fan of Tama's stuff, they really know how to make birch drums right, perhaps slightly behind Yamaha. I do like some of the Pearl birch offerings but the tom mounts have always been a drawback for me, which is a bit superficial I know. Hope you enjoy that kit though!!
I am a big Tama fan too, and I am also a big Pearl fan as well. I couldn't let this deal pass.I've always love Tama and Pearl, especially the older stuff. Even though I just got this Masters studio, there is still a Pearl DLX Professional Series (Birch/Mahogany/Lamin) that I want to pick up tat also sounds superb (10, 12, 16, 22 for $299 at another instrument resale shop) fro, about the mid 80's.I am in love with my Tama King Beat from the late 70's. I played a set of Crestars from a long time ago with power toms and they sounded superb, even with the gross tom sizes! I have 10x10 and 12x10 toms on my other Pearl kit, but these toms on the Crestar kit were gross, but at least they sounded excellent!
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 AM
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 421
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

If it were a music store on layaway then I'd be ticked if they sold it out from under me-and doubtful they would. But at a pawn shop those rules don't apply. It's all about the dickering. The idiot who put them on layaway at a pawn shop should have realized they would sell it to the highest bidder. He should watch Pawn Stars and Pawn Wars-its' ruthless. LOL>
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
If it were a music store on layaway then I'd be ticked if they sold it out from under me-and doubtful they would. But at a pawn shop those rules don't apply. It's all about the dickering. The idiot who put them on layaway at a pawn shop should have realized they would sell it to the highest bidder. He should watch Pawn Stars and Pawn Wars-its' ruthless. LOL>
Yeah, I'd buy from this shop again in a heartbeat, if I saw some gear that I wanted, due to there seemingly extreme under-pricing, but I'd never trust the layaway there. They didn't call the guy beofre removing his layaway. He should be watching those shows about Pawn shops, so he is aware of their lack of loyalty to anything except the almighty dollar.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Here are some pics of my new loves! lol





__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 AM
v.zarate's Avatar
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 931
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

FINALLY!!! hahahaha

those look great dude! congrats!

the mounting system on them looks interesting,

how do they sound?
__________________
Drum Workshop - Tama - Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: Tama Starclassic Birch or Pearl Masters Studio Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
FINALLY!!! hahahaha

those look great dude! congrats!

the mounting system on them looks interesting,

how do they sound?
Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know! lol

I like the mounting system. They sound great and resonate really well with this system.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com