You Really Had A Great Day

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
All things being relative, One of the newer ladies in my Dept. came to work today with a heavy heart, this being the one year anniversary of her brother committing suicide. She was at work less than two hours when she got a call that her best friend, had done the same thing this morning. Thoughts and prayers for her.

How terrible, poor lady. Puts things into perspective, certainly.

Yessir. Thoughts and prayers. Lots of 'em.

My younger brother chose his own destiny 2 1/2 years ago.

The worst part is not knowing why.

I can't imagine going through it twice.

Wow...that's actually beyond tragic.Ithink Mr Mayor that at this point,she may need professional help and the sooner,the better.

I'll almost bet she is blaming herself that she didn't see this coming,or if she did,she couldn't stop it from happening.I've had some suicide prevention training,and this kind of reaction is a common.

Some people need to taught a coping mechanism.

Stll,so sorry to hear of this.

Steve B

I can't even imagine the feeling, but I'm sure it's a pretty heavy mix of anger, sadness, and confusion. I don't know her, but she has my sympathy.

How sad, a cry in the wilderness cut short by troubles too hard to bear and a weary heart and a heavy head. Black thoughts, emptiness, despair. Just not enough Shakespeare and words in this world to get any perspective on such misery and suffering. That poor office girl must be in shock. Tears of rage and sorrow and grief at the same time, a sense of failure and helplessness. I'm blathering because I can only imagine that kind of pain.

my heart goes out to that lady....
about 14 years ago I was in a real bad place; long term relationship gone, she took my son and disappeared, losing the house and my job as I didn't maintain myself...tried to hang myself at 3am one lonely night, double locked doors, left notes for my mother and my 2 children and... thankfully the 'anchor point' I had chosen gave way, I fell to the floor, started giggling at my inability to do even that right and turned a little corner....
I think I am trying to explain how/why I got to that stage, just from my experience of course, I was in physical pain from the 'hurt' I was going through, and choosing to end myself wasn't a brave act or anger or anything else...it was just all I could think of at that time to stop the hurt...
My life is unrecognisably better now, but I will never forget how I felt that night...and the hurt I would have left behind.
Thoughts and prayers to gruntersdads colleague..

Many thanks to all for your thoughts. As I said this is a new person to our dept. so I don't know her well, but it's easy to see the empty eyes at this point. Have a great day.

My life is unrecognisably better now, but I will never forget how I felt that night...and the hurt I would have left behind.

Bloody hell, Jonny. I'm so sorry you reached that point of despair. Thank goodness things turned out the way they did, because nobody else makes me laff quite the way you do xx

Many thanks to all for your thoughts. As I said this is a new person to our dept. so I don't know her well, but it's easy to see the empty eyes at this point. Have a great day.

She's in my thoughts. They aren't worth much, but IME the only thing that helps at all at times like this is that other people, even unknown strangers, care.

I wasn't going to post this but I've changed my mind slightly.

Obviously, I can't give away any details but recently I've been involved directly in several suicide interventions and had to do many more assessments as part of my job. It's the hardest thing sometimes to talk about with others.

I really feel for your colleague. As a professional, one switches off when there are interventions taking place and when you hear about completed suicides. It's very hard for anybody to understand the motivations of an individuals that chooses to end their life that way and the effect it has on families and friends can be devastating.

If you feel somebody is at risk, ask. Talk about it. You have the power to intervene and help them put their life back on track. It really works.

Thoughts to your colleague, J.

Maggie, they are worth a lot. To even take the time.
Duncan...thanks.

I have a brain tumor that is benign. In my 20's it grew so large that it gave me terrible cluster headaches (known also as suicide headaches), so I know the kind of pain that can push you over the edge. I got lucky and found a doctor who finally diagnosed me correctly and put me on a medicine that shrank my tumor. It's still there, but it doesn't bother me anymore for the most part.

But my divorce was just as painful in its own way. I started smoking cigarettes again after a 10 year hiatus away from it. Nevertheless, I think it helped, and there is scientific evidence that backs up this claim despite all the negative effects of smoking cigs. Of course now it's time to quit again because now the cigs are killing me slowly but surely, but at least I'm enjoying the ride! jk...

Back