DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Default Physiology and Anatomy in application to percussion?

Ever since sophomore year, I have been thinking about how our physical bodies are different. In some cases, it can make us Gods amongst men. Others, will only be burdened and shamed for the rest of their life.

I am proposing an Idea that as humans, we are limited by the natures of our bodies. How can everyone have the same technique when everyone's anatomical structures are different? I have really big palms and long fingers, but I have a relatively short thumb. From this, It is more comfortable for me to us a middle finger grip. A friend of mine has extreme hitchhikers thumb. This makes it really hard for him to play french grip, it also makes it hard for him to play any grip without his thumb looking as if it sticks out too far. There is a guy my high school's new percussion instructor knew that could play rudimental snare using no arm whatsoever because he was double jointed. He has not had carpel tunnel and has not sustained any sort of injuries his entire life.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Physiology and Anatomy in application to percussion?

I have been showing students at my school how to play rudimental snare. The very first thing I do is look at their hand structure. From there, I can then decipher the best way they can hold the sticks in accordance to their hand structure.

The phrase, "Do what works best for you" is throwm around a lot, but how many people are out there that doesn't know that this means, "Do what works with your body." Drummers are always injuring themselves because they push their bodies' limit or are using a damaging technique that only works for some people, but not others. In the study of the human anatomy, it may be possible to perfect technique for every type of body structure out there, and maybe even create new ones.

Who would support this endeavor and any ideas how I might go about this?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

I also subscribe to the "do what's best for you" philosophy after having the "THIS is how you do it" perspective thrust uopn me. As a massage therapist, I can give you my perspective, based on hands-on experience, that we are NOT all the same, anatomically.

When I teach lessons, I teach the students the basic mechanics (fulcrum, balance point, wrists/fingers, etc...), but I let them develop the nuances of their particular grip.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 AM

It would be much worse being limited mentally than physically. I think Steve Houghton(maybe Ed Soph) said drumming is 90% mental and 10% physically, i think the point being you have to understand how your body functions naturally...
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 AM

I subscribe to the "Do what WORKS" theory so much that I put it in my sig.

After years of making little to no progress with any variant of matched grip, I tried playing traditional grip just as a goofing around thing. Yeah, there was a period of awkwardness, but I liked the way it looked....as silly as it sounds, so I stuck with it. After about day 5 of this, I sat down behind the kit held the sticks in traditional grip and I just felt this incredible sensation that this is how my hand just wanted to hold the stick. Nothing ever felt more natural than having my hand under the stick.

So yeah I totally agree that our bodies are all different and react differently to force and pressure.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Administrator

The best technique is the one that is ergonomically comfortable for you that does your body, limbs no harm, and is effifcient in movement. If you watch Olympic swimmers doing the same stroke all within .00 seconds of each other they will not look the same. do what works for you. Back in the day when Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals there were swimming coaches that said that his technique was horrible. But who was going to change it.

I think the idea is that there are better ways and worse ways, and those that have been around a while would like us to do what they think is best. If there was only one right way we would all be left-handed or right-handed. We take a general premise and tweek it to fit us. Do we really think that clothing only comes in small medium and large. How many different sized people wear medium size shirts?

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 08-07-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:01 AM

Did I say something off? Everyone here seems to be saying the same thing I am but at the same time disagreeing with me. I suppose this might sound off because I was speaking more about marching styles. Oh well, I suppose this idea is sort of lost on this type of community. Maybe I will go talk to some of the folk over at snare science. Good day to you all!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM

I think it's more along the lines of agreeing with you, but offering our different interpretations of the concept.

Not sure why that would rub you the wrong way. Would you rather us all completely disagree with you?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

You seem to crave acceptance and to be taken seriously, yet continually flip your lid at the drop of a hat. What gives mate? I don't get it. This all too frequent, overly dramatic, stomping of the feet and picking up your bat and ball and going home is just so unnecessary. It's just bloody childish mate, honestly. Chill out on the 'teenage angst' bit a little. It's getting old.

The way I'm reading it, everyone agrees with you.....as do I.

But really, if you can't play nicely in the sand pit with the other kids then maybe you are better served on the snare forum.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Administrator

I don't see anything in your first two posts that mentions marching whatsoever. I spoke only in general terms. But I don't understand the attitude. I'm not sure how we could all be saying the same thing you did and be disagreeing at the same time. Off to work. Have a better day
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolInTheRain View Post
I think it's more along the lines of agreeing with you, but offering our different interpretations of the concept.

Not sure why that would rub you the wrong way. Would you rather us all completely disagree with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
You seem to crave acceptance and to be taken seriously, yet continually flip your lid at the drop of a hat. What gives mate? I don't get it. This all too frequent, overly dramatic, stomping of the feet and picking up your bat and ball and going home is just so unnecessary. It's just bloody childish mate, honestly. Chill out on the 'teenage angst' bit a little. It's getting old.

The way I'm reading it, everyone agrees with you.....as do I.

But really, if you can't play nicely in the sand pit with the other kids then maybe you are better served on the snare forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I don't see anything in your first two posts that mentions marching whatsoever. I spoke only in general terms. But I don't understand the attitude. I'm not sure how we could all be saying the same thing you did and be disagreeing at the same time. Off to work. Have a better day
Haha, I wasn't flipping out at all, nor was I angry/upset, I was just saying that it wasn't the reaction I was expecting. It's not really that important so I was saying that it doesn't really matter. I don't know what seemed to be the outburst here, but I meant this in good faith and otherwise jokingly. Anyways, as my brother always said, all the worlds problems can be solved if you just shaved the beard! ;)

Also, as far as being better served on the snare forum, (technically a forum for all things marching percussion) it serves me fairly well. Many of the people on there have similar thought to me based on the fact that most of us learn in the same basic way. Here, as I have experienced, many argue whether or not they should use traditional grip. On snarescience, they only argue the usefulness of traditional grip. Everyone who is a high school percussionist has to know how to use both grips. Otherwise you're not a good percussionist. Here, since it's all drumming and all a solo act as far as the percussion section goes in a band or ensamble, there's more freedom to learn and play as you see fit.

So sorry if that came across crudely, I wasn't mad at the time nor did I really take anything offensively. If I reamember correctly, I was just enjoying a an episode of Star Trek Enterprise when I looked back here and responded. My main thought being, "maybe it's not a big deal to them." So I thought oh well, maybe the folk over at snare science will have some thoughts on it. I wasn't mad though. I was watching the one where T'pol was having personal issues while the fleet was drilling samples from the core of a comet.

I will say though that it gets frustrating when people tell me to chill. Most of the time I'm not even angry about anything yet someone finds something to say I was, even when I wasn't. In reality, no one knows me to get angry, I'm the one to tell people to "chill out" or calm down because I would rather not have people angry because it's relatively unnecessary. It becomes sort of a downer here because I say something possibly as a joke or a message to clarify what I mean, and then everyone attacks me for my so called "teenage angst!" This has been the only forum in which I have ever been misconstrued for such matters. I stay though, because I hope to learn something that will be useful to me in my endeavors. Isn't that what this forum is really about? I'm just saying because my sort of humour is lost somewhere between the transfer of ideas. I get it, I'm not funny. My dad is only right above the line of insanity so I have a very dark humour and demeanor. I have been told that at school and have been sent to the therapist a few times. I assure them that I was joking about my sibblings shoving marshmellows in my mouth, nose, ears, and pockets while I was sleeping... (actually, that really happened, but I thought it was funny after I was almost suffocated to death) so I'm not sure what it is about me that some here dislikes, but at school, I was known as the guy that "wouldn't get mad if you slapped him," it's not just a saying, they tried it.

I wish everyone the best, and I'm sorry my humour somehow comes across as angst. I'm sort of hurt now, but I might just give up the forum anyways. I haven't really learned anything except for the time Anthony told me that the sticks should be level when using traditional grip. That was groundbreaking for me.... but my sort of thoughts and ideas aren't really important to anyone since they mostly come from marching and militaristic methods and concert and solo percussion. Many folk here don't play marimba so I have nothing to offer. Since I am mostly useless, I reckon it would be only logical to not try to be a part of something I have no say in.

Good day to everyone, may the force be with you, live long and prosper, etc. etc. etc. I'm going to take a break for now. I might be back in five years, who knows? but I have nothing to offer for now.

Lastly, I am sorry if there are any typos in the post but I'm on my brother's kindle and it's terrible with auto correct and it’s hard to go back and change every little thing.

Last edited by Dracovyrn; 08-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Closed Thread