DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Brando667 Brando667 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Default What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

Hey guys. I've recently replaced my Roland V-Drums with an acoustic kit. I purchased the Tama Imperialstar, and I'm loving it so far! I will be replacing the stock heads today and i'm having a little bit of trouble choosing which ones to get. I play metal and rock mostly, and I love a clean sounding kit. I am choosing between Remo, Evans, and Aquarian heads. also not sure if I should change the resonant head to a brand other than the stock ones when I change the batter side, too. And yes, this is my first kit, and first post.

I do have a Drum Dial, so if you have any suggestions on which tension to try out with which heads, let me know! Thanks!

The shells are 6 ply, 100% poplar.

Drums: 18"x22" bass drum, 8"x10" & 9"x12" toms, 14"x16" floor tom, 5"x14" snare drum.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando667 View Post
Hey guys. I've recently replaced my Roland V-Drums with an acoustic kit. I purchased the Tama Imperialstar, and I'm loving it so far! I will be replacing the stock heads today and i'm having a little bit of trouble choosing which ones to get. I play metal and rock mostly, and I love a clean sounding kit. I am choosing between Remo, Evans, and Aquarian heads. also not sure if I should change the resonant head to a brand other than the stock ones when I change the batter side, too. And yes, this is my first kit, and first post.

I do have a Drum Dial, so if you have any suggestions on which tension to try out with which heads, let me know! Thanks!

The shells are 6 ply, 100% poplar.

Drums: 18"x22" bass drum, 8"x10" & 9"x12" toms, 14"x16" floor tom, 5"x14" snare drum.
I have an old Tama Swingstar that was my first kit. I think it's similar to your Imperialstar. It's not a bad kit with the right heads and good tuning.
I swapped out the original heads (all of them) for Aquarians. Response2 heads for the toms with Classic Clears on the reso side and a Super Kick III plus a full Regulator on the bass drum.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the Drum Dial. Does it come with any recommended settings in the instructions?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,335
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

G2 coated over clear Genera reso, or Emperors coated over clear Diplomats, Not sure what would be the Aquarian equivalent. You're on your own with the snare drum!
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Brando667 Brando667 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I have an old Tama Swingstar that was my first kit. I think it's similar to your Imperialstar. It's not a bad kit with the right heads and good tuning.
I swapped out the original heads (all of them) for Aquarians. Response2 heads for the toms with Classic Clears on the reso side and a Super Kick III plus a full Regulator on the bass drum.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the Drum Dial. Does it come with any recommended settings in the instructions?
It does, but they're base on other sizes, mine are not on the chart. i have an evans EMAD batter head on my kick drum right now i forgot to mention, with the thin tama reso. i need to take a pillow out, its sounding quite dead.

Do you tune the reso to the same tension as the batter side on your toms and bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
G2 coated over clear Genera reso, or Emperors coated over clear Diplomats, Not sure what would be the Aquarian equivalent. You're on your own with the snare drum!
the snare drum seems to be my biggest problem!
I cannot get the snare to sound good. i get too much buzz, or just an off pitch. i am making sure the lugs are the same tension, i just cant seem to find a good sound. It's probably just me, though. Any tips?
Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Bernhard; 07-22-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 357
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

Try a Evans Genera Dry on the snare, that might help with some of the wonky overtones.
__________________
Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Pros practice until they can't get it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,335
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

I would do the genera dry with a thick G12 reso. That will tame it a little. You're gonna have tone and a little ring. Make sure your snares are even and not favoring one side or the other. Tune the reso first kinda high, and the batter a little higher with the snares about medium tension. That's how i tune all my snare drums. but I like the ring and tones so i use an ambassador battter and a diplomat reso or equivalent 7 mil head. G12 is single ply but 12 mil thick. I use a genera dry on my old Gretsch snare and it seems better than the ambassador heads for that particular drum. so it really depends on the drum's ccharacter and what you want to get out of it. Experiment.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando667 View Post
It does, but they're base on other sizes, mine are not on the chart. i have an evans EMAD batter head on my kick drum right now i forgot to mention, with the thin tama reso. i need to take a pillow out, its sounding quite dead.

Do you tune the reso to the same tension as the batter side on your toms and bass?



the snare drum seems to be my biggest problem!
I cannot get the snare to sound good. i get too much buzz, or just an off pitch. i am making sure the lugs are the same tension, i just cant seem to find a good sound. It's probably just me, though. Any tips?
Thanks for the suggestion!
Everyone is a little different. I prefer my resos a little higher than the batter side. Pretty close to each other though.

I never liked the snare on my Swingstar that much either. I used an Aqauarian Focus-X head on it; it has a little muffling ring around the perimeter than got ride of most of the annoying overtones. When I played that kit I usually just took my Supra.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 357
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

I usually tune my resos a bit higher than the batters, however on my Silverstar kit it seemed to work better when they were equal.
__________________
Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Pros practice until they can't get it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM
qwikdoc qwikdoc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 15
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

I have a Tama tension watch. Same thing as the drum dial. The recommendations for my dial are resos 5 higher than batter on all the drums except 16 FT where they recommend both the same. I used to have a pdp x7 poplar kit and used those tuning recommendations with Remo pinstripes and the thin stock resos and the toms sounded really good. I have a brass snare and a Starclassic birch snare and I've had several heads on them and to my ears the Aquarian high energy sounds the best but I don't tune them to a high crack. I like a fatter sound from my snare. I have found that tuning my snare heads the same top and bottom gives me the best sound but you can experiment with that. I have an Aquarian superkick ll on my bass drum which should be similar to the Emad. The dial recommendation for bass is 40 reso and 35 batter and I like that sound a lot. I use a kickport and nothing in the shell for muffling. The Superkick ll provides plenty of muffling.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 549
Default Re: What choice of heads for Tama Imperialstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikdoc View Post
I have an Aquarian superkick ll on my bass drum which should be similar to the Emad.
In comparison, EMAD2 (two-ply version of the EMAD) is a closer match, though it's a 7mil + 10mil configuration.
__________________
Carlock did. Anton Figdid. Kenny Aronoff did. Join the revolution! Evans Level 360.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com