DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Another FB stand thread - specifically hanging toms

Good day all, I am hoping for some feedback from flat base hardware users. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Gretsch Renown Maple Fusion 20 x 10 x 12 x 14 in blue metal. This will replace my Pearl Vision rock sized kit for gigging. I was thinking of selling off the Pearl, but keeping the 900 series hardware. I have been really happy with the hardware and it is extemely sturdy but it is so heavy and a real chore to move around. One of the main reasons for moving to a smaller kit overall was portability. I started thinking that swapping out my hardware at the same time may be best and I could get a bit more money for my old kit. I am really interested in the Gibraltar 8600 series - it would be much lighter and a flat base look would really set off the Gretsch kit nicely. The stands certainly feel sturdy. My question is: how would the 8600 boom stands fare if there were a 10 or a 12 inch tom hanging off them? The toms are using the new Lo Mass Tom Suspension System. I am a fairly hard hitter - playing fast rockabilly and psychobilly. Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions.

The new Gretsch renown maple for 2013
http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=renowneurope
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Another FB stand thread - specifically hanging toms

Rock-a/Psychobilly right on!

Gibraltar's gear is really well built. Nothing but good experiences in using it for me.
If you are playing harder, the FB stand will work just fine if the cymbals aren't way up there.
I use a 24" ride on my FB stands, and any brand I use works just fine (I crash/crash ride the 24 a lot).

With 10 & 12" toms, the FB stand might hold those size toms with a good leg placement.
Larger than a 12 I think is pushing your luck--especially if your band mates are "on the move" around the stage while playing. Even though the stands are pretty sturdy (with a cymbal), with a tom on them, it wouldn't take any big effort to knock it all over.
Something to think about also is if the cymbals are going to be in a good spot, with what the stand can do if a tom is on it.

A pic of the set up you use with your band would help in opinions from other FB users on if what you want to do would be practical, or worry free enough to go get all new hardware.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

I own Gibraltar FB stands and I don't hang toms from the cymbal stands at present. I have hung a 10" tom from one in the past with no issue.
I know that they are strong enough to take the load of a 10 and 12 inch tom along with a cymbal.
You may have to set the locking collar on the stand base up a bit higher for more stability.
A FB stand will sway more than a triangle base stand. There is no way around that fact.

In the pic I have a 20" ride and a 19" crash on a Gibraltar FB boom stand. It is very sturdy.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

I tried it once with my renown 10" tom and honestly, I didn't feel confident about. It wobbled too much for my comfort. When hanging toms I prefer to use my Yamaha 700 series stands.

In my opinion FB stands are great as stand alone cymbal stands but for hanging toms there are better options out there.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 AM

That is a lovely kit Bob!
Thanks for all the feedback, I am a little worried about stands getting bumped on stage. We are a very lively 7pce, myself, 3 horns, 2 guitars and an upright bass. Essentially I am going for this set up complete with the 2 crash cymbals.
[IMG][/IMG]

Maybe lighter stands like Yamaha 600 or 700 series is the way to go?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

After seeing what you are after, you would probably be better off mounting the toms on the bass drum and using FB stands just for cymbals or going with 2 triangle stands with a tom and a cymbal on each one like the pic..
If you mounted both toms on one FB stand and a cymbal behind them it may balance out. Balance is the key when dealing with FB stands. It would still probably not be as stable as you would like.