DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-22-2014, 04:49 AM

Default Diagnosed with Cancer, who should I give my drums to?

Just got the word I have Stage 3C colon cancer which has about a 26% chance of survival. I've lived a crazy, fast life so not surprised. I'd like to eventually leave all of my drums to a school or someplace. Any thoughts? I probably have $50,000 in drums easy so multiple places would work. Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Diagnosed with Cancer, who should I give my drums to?

I'm so sorry to hear this news. My condolences.

Okay, here's my thought: Do some research in and around the Indiana area and other residential locals and choose the organization(s) worthy of your prized gear. I'm sure you put a lot of time, effort, sweat & tears into collecting all that you have. Your drums and related equipment are truly an extension of who you are.

Find a place that will appreciate your musical donation.

Positive thoughts!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

While this news is sad, it amazes me that you are thinking of others by donating your gear to others who will enjoy it, and possibly carry on in music. I lost my dad to prostate cancer and I wasn't sure if he was feeling angry, or selfish, or what towards his last days. He seemed so relieved to have left the planet on that day. Bless you for thinking of others - I'm not sure I could do that.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Hang in there and the best of luck with that!
Your church(if you have one), the schools, college, uni's you may have gone to comes first to mind. Otherwise the same in poor neighborhoods.
If you have anything collectible, perhaps there are some museums you could consider.

But....... hang in there!

thx

jorn
Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Renegade

Sorry to hear that, Arthur. Nasty disease - it got my sister a few years ago.

Good on you for wanting to donate your drums to schools! I agree with Bo.

Good to think positively too - it sure beats worrying, which doesn't actually help anything.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

This is terrible to hear Arthur, but dwelling on positive actions and helping others is a great approach. I'm convinced that such a positive mindset increases your chances of beating this too, as I'm sure it helped me a while back.

I'll make sure I think of you each day,

Andy.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

I work in the industry that deals with death and dying.

Make sure your final arrangements are settled before the times comes that you're able to be admitted into hospice care. Make it clear to whoever you want to handle you final arrangements exactly what you want done. If you're not married and have no kids that you're close with then make sure you get a POA document that allows them to handle disposition of remains.

Beyond that its up to you. Personally I'd sell the kit and travel somewhere that I've always wanted to go. You've got time, use it. Do something that you've always wanted to do.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

I am very sorry to hear about your condition.
I recently wrote my will and I simply stated that my gear should be sold and made part of the monetary assets of my estate. I then specified the relatives who will receive equal portions of the total value of my assets.
If there was a drummer in my family I would have left my gear to them.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Arthur, I have very little to add other than my best wishes for you and your family.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

God bless you and your family. What a generous heart you have to want to share the gift of music with others.
Obviously the drums are an important part of your life and someday, when someone plays one of yours, it will be a testament of your love for our craft and you will be remembered.

Stay strong my fellow drummer.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Damn, my thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Cancer sucks.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

A very generous and classy thing to do. I would suggest schools or relatives.
Best wishes in your future.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

This is probably the wrong thing to say, but 1 in 4 is far from the worst odds you could have. Fight this fucking cancer with everything you have, play your drums and love them as long as you can. Already thinking about giving up and who might want your stuff is exactly the opposite of the path you should be on now, I feel. Positive energy is a real thing I believe, and your brain plays a huge role in the ability to heal and recover.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurk1 View Post

...Just got the word I have Stage 3C colon cancer which has about a 26% chance of survival....

Keep 26% of your drums - just in case.

Seriously though - horrible news, but don't give up hope.
I have a neighbor who was diagnosed with stage 4 a couple years ago.
He came this close to not making it, and had some very rough times, but he's still here.

He can walk and drive, still cuts his own grass (with a rider), and takes his Ford Mustang to the bar every Sunday. So all is not lost.
I think the others here have given good ideas if it turns out otherwise.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Arthur that is an incredibly magnanimous gesture. Your expression of generosity and selflessness makes me extremely proud to be a member of a virtual community with people like you.

In the event that a donation does take place I suggest making sure that your wishes are in writing and that someone you know and trust is in the loop. I also would not give anything away right now as it sounds like this is somewhat fresh news.

I wish for all the best for you and your loved ones man. Thank you for putting things in perspective.

JM

Last edited by FrontierGibberish; 08-22-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Eating cannabis oil (not hemp seed oil) literally stops cancer right in it's tracks. Why not try it, at this point there's nothing to lose. Don't poison yourself with chemo or radiation, that will weaken you to a point where nothing works. Don't let anyone talk you into these poisons, I mean they have the skull and crossbones right on the packaging.There are documented cases of people with stage 4 lung cancer who were cancer free in a few months simply by eating cannabis oil. Also called hash oil. THC makes tumors turn in on themselves. There is a legal (in some states) cure for cancer and no one wants to believe it. It's truly a sad state of affairs. Stupid humans. Cancer is too big a money maker and no one who makes their money off cancer will tell you this, so you must be an advocate for your own health. Go to Colorado just ASAP and get it legally. So now there is absolutely no good reason not to do this. Injest hemp oil just as soon as you can. Every day you wait you are one step closer to checking out. Keep your drums and please please read through this website thoroughly and follow instructions. Then start planning an I beat cancer party. Hail to the internet and all the information on it.

http://phoenixtears.ca/

The science behind it:

http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/how...oil-works.html

Gomez Addams

Last edited by larryace; 08-23-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Lar,

As much as I like the way you approach things by using your head rather than just accepting what you're told, I think in cases of later-stage cancer treatment, there are probably good reasons to listen to your doctors and cooperate with treatments.

That said, no reason not to add other treatments as long as they aren't shown harmful. Like you say, what's it going to hurt? Even so, telling the doctor what you're doing is prudent.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Hey Lar,

As much as I like the way you approach things by using your head rather than just accepting what you're told, I think in cases of later-stage cancer treatment, there are probably good reasons to listen to your doctors and cooperate with treatments.

That said, no reason not to add other treatments as long as they aren't shown harmful. Like you say, what's it going to hurt? Even so, telling the doctor what you're doing is prudent.
Watso, when I say stupid humans, I really don't include you in that lot, but what you wrote above makes me second guess that. Sorry but this is the exact attitude that pervades the world and I can't believe you said this stuff.

Person 1: There is a cure for cancer that is not only safe and effective, but you feel really great as you're healing. Plus it acts really fast.

Person 2: But my doctor says I need chemo, and I'd rather listen to him, injest poison, lose my hair, and throw up constantly, all the while feeling like death is a better alternative to the living hell that's guaranteed, because I'm so brainwashed, that I can't tell right from wrong anymore.

If I was a doctor, would that make a difference? It's the same info. At this point there is nothing to lose. Not trying something that actually does cure cancer...truly is the most stupid thing I ever heard of. Think of your wife and kids for Pete's sake.

F doctors. They got a hold of my Dad and he was dead in about 8 months. They are there to help drain bank accounts before you die.

In fact F anyone who doesn't embrace an actual cure. Survival of the smartest.

Gomez Addams
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Eating cannabis oil (not hemp seed oil) literally stops cancer right in it's tracks. Don't believe that? Why not try it, at this point there's nothing to lose. Don't poison yourself with chemo or radiation, that will weaken you to a point where nothing works. Don't let anyone talk you into these poisons, I mean they have the skull and crossbones right on the packaging.There are documented cases of people with stage 4 lung cancer who were cancer free in a few months simply by eating cannabis oil. Also called hash oil. THC makes tumors turn in on themselves. There is a legal (in some states) cure for cancer and no one wants to believe it. It's truly a sad state of affairs. Stupid humans. Cancer is too big a money maker and no one who makes their money off cancer will tell you this, so you must be an advocate for your own health. Go to Colorado just ASAP and get it legally. So now there is absolutely no good reason not to do this. Injest hemp oil just as soon as you can. Every day you wait you are one step closer to checking out. Keep your drums and please please read through this website thoroughly and follow instructions. Then start planning an I beat cancer party. Hail to the internet and all the information on it.

http://phoenixtears.ca/

The science behind it:

http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/how...oil-works.html
Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. I have seriously thought about the cannibus oil and am reading up on all of my options. I have contacted a few schools and local places about the drums but I will leave them in a will if, god willing, I survive. I am a very strong willed person and intend on fighting this with all I have in me. I've always lived my the motto "life is what you give" and hopefully it will come back to me in this time of need. Luckily I have made a good living most of my life so I am not destitute. I will say though I am scared to death. Once again, thanks for the kind words, Arthur
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Hang in there Arthur. Good mojo sent your way.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this news. My condolences.

Okay, here's my thought: Do some research in and around the Indiana area and other residential locals and choose the organization(s) worthy of your prized gear. I'm sure you put a lot of time, effort, sweat & tears into collecting all that you have. Your drums and related equipment are truly an extension of who you are.

Find a place that will appreciate your musical donation.

Positive thoughts!!!
I second this. Well said. My condolences to you as well, arthurk1.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurk1 View Post
Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. I have seriously thought about the cannibus oil and am reading up on all of my options. I have contacted a few schools and local places about the drums but I will leave them in a will if, god willing, I survive. I am a very strong willed person and intend on fighting this with all I have in me. I've always lived my the motto "life is what you give" and hopefully it will come back to me in this time of need. Luckily I have made a good living most of my life so I am not destitute. I will say though I am scared to death. Once again, thanks for the kind words, Arthur
Thank you so much for considering this info Arthur. There's a cure for cancer. A CURE. It's always been here. Go get yourself some. It's just that easy.

I suggest to move on from serious thought to serious action. Your back is up against a wall. There's nothing to lose. Money is not an issue. You stated yourself that you are a very strong willed person and that you intend to fight this with all you have in you. There's no time to lose. Drop everything. Get your ass to Colorado and eat some cannabis oil ASAP like your life depends on it. Quite literally, it does.

Gomez Addams
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Watso, when I say stupid humans, I really don't include you in that lot, but what you wrote above makes me second guess that. Sorry but this is the exact attitude that pervades the world and I can't believe you said this stuff.

Person 1: There is a cure for cancer that is not only safe and effective, but you feel really great as you're healing. Plus it acts really fast.

Person 2: But my doctor says I need chemo, and I'd rather listen to him, injest poison, lose my hair, and throw up constantly, all the while feeling like death is a better alternative to the living hell that's guaranteed, because I'm so brainwashed, that I can't tell right from wrong anymore.

If I was a doctor, would that make a difference? It's the same info. At this point there is nothing to lose. Not trying something that actually does cure cancer...truly is the most stupid thing I ever heard of. Think of your wife and kids for Pete's sake.

F doctors. They got a hold of my Dad and he was dead in about 8 months. They are there to help drain bank accounts before you die.

In fact F anyone who doesn't embrace an actual cure. Survival of the smartest.
I'm sorry about your dad and his suffering prior to passing. If anyone could show that cannabis oil, or any form of canabanoid really did cure cancer full stop, it wouldn't be just a few folks on the internet talking about it and using big words in their articles. I noted in perusing that article that there are no statistics given, or numbers of people cured, the success rates, or the reasons attributed to lack of success when it doesn't work. My aunt just died of cancer two weeks ago tomorrow. I inherited her old computer, and going through it in an attempt to save anything important, I was able to see her search and internet history. Let me tell you under no uncertain terms, she was a very smart lady, and researched everything she possibly could about every treatment or potential treatment available. Everything from meditation to indeed cannabis and other herbal/chemical treatments was tried. According to the charts and x-rays, over a year's worth of treatments, the only thing that ever got her tumors to slow down or shrink was radiation therapy.

Throwing around words like "cure" in relation to cancer is something that should not be taken lightly. There is no proof, and "cure" has a very strict associated definition.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
I'm sorry about your dad and his suffering prior to passing. If anyone could show that cannabis oil, or any form of canabanoid really did cure cancer full stop, it wouldn't be just a few folks on the internet talking about it and using big words in their articles. I noted in perusing that article that there are no statistics given, or numbers of people cured, the success rates, or the reasons attributed to lack of success when it doesn't work. My aunt just died of cancer two weeks ago tomorrow. I inherited her old computer, and going through it in an attempt to save anything important, I was able to see her search and internet history. Let me tell you under no uncertain terms, she was a very smart lady, and researched everything she possibly could about every treatment or potential treatment available. Everything from meditation to indeed cannabis and other herbal/chemical treatments was tried. According to the charts and x-rays, over a year's worth of treatments, the only thing that ever got her tumors to slow down or shrink was radiation therapy.

Throwing around words like "cure" in relation to cancer is something that should not be taken lightly. There is no proof, and "cure" has a very strict associated definition.

But there is proof. It's just not trumpeted. There's too much profit in cancer treatment. The medical community will never adopt it anytime soon, it's something you have to do on your own. I really don't understand the resistance. This is a fantastic thing! And people, even you, just plain refuse to see it. Why aren't people...at the very least, doing their own research on the topic? Just because it's cannabis.
The thing is, when all hope is lost, why would anyone dismiss the idea?

And there are many documented cases. Rick Simpson alone has cured thousands. If you don't know who he is, you aren't qualified to debate this.

Gomez Addams
Old 08-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Larry, all I'm saying is that we need rational discussion, data and research. Two opposing sides, each going to the extremes when defending their positions doesn't advance anything. Throwing around the word, "cure" is detrimental until it can be shown to actually cure cancer by itself, 100% consistently and easily documented.

I agree with the premise. Like other compounds already identified, some cannabanoids do seem to have anti-tumor properties. So far, though, the available data falls way short of using the term "cure". At best, we can call it a treatment that shows promise and needs a lot more research and focus. Pre-maturely calling it an end-all cure without the full set of corroborating data is just not helpful to where this needs to go. Furthermore, advocating that sick people ignore their doctors and focus on this one option is irresponsible and knee-jerk in nature.

I live in the bay area of California. Cannabis is not a dirty word here, and I'm literally surrounded by it's champions. Some of the smartest, most successful people I know start their day with a toke, and cancer patients here almost never bat an eye when trying to treat their illness through this plant. If we could use it to literally cure cancer every time, they would never ever shut up as an entire unit until the world recognized it. I have an acquaintance who works with NORML directly and in fact treats his own MD issue with cannabis. He is keeping close tabs on people like Simpson, and has mentioned him a few times, along with a few other experts who are less well known.

So, Larry, keep your trumpet out and keep spreading your findings and research. However, I think rather than using tempting words like "cure" so freely, we should instead focus on the provable facts, and supporting data to promote a treatment that so far has no detriments, and might even have very real positive effects.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Ingesting cannabis oil cures cancer and I will not stop saying it because that's what it does.

End of story.

There's plenty of real life accounts, some with visual proof of malignant melonoma clearing up completely if you look for them.

I have to stop on this thread because it gets me too upset, so I'll catch you on another thread.

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psJhQHk_GI

Gomez Addams
Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Okay man. I really think you should research Rick with a bit more detail. I heard from several pro-cannabis proponents that he's often considered a hindrance to their efforts. He makes claims to the effect that cannabis oil can literally cure all diseases in the human body, and that's just not helpful in the same way that real data and research is. All he has is his own theories, and no amount of un-researched personal stories or testimonial is really going to advance this movement. I might be remembering the wrong guy here, but as I understand, Rick has made statements that he thinks you can reverse aging with cannabis oil.

Instead of telling people it's a cure and pointing to a few other people who say it is, guide people right to the evidence so they can think for themselves.

I'm not at all trying to make fun or light of this, and I think you should try and remove emotion from your equation on these matters. There's no reason to get upset when people call for real world verifiable and re-produce-able evidence. There are tons and tons of faith healers out there who claim to have cured people of un-countable numbers. True enough, some people they see are better, but what was really the cause of this, and why do some people still die? Is it because they just didn't have enough faith, or because they couldn't take enough THC-laden oil into their system?
Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Larry,I think the weed distributors in Colorado,ask for ID,and you must be a state resident to buy it,but I may be wrong.You also can't take it out of the state legally.

Medical Marajuana was just recently legalized in NY state,but it take some time to set up a network of distributors and license them.More red tape.Legalization for personal use won't be far behind,and decriminalization will preceed that as well.It's about time.

There's only one reason that weed is against the law,and it's the same reason that the 18 amendment was passed.Enough said,do your homework.

More OT,hang in there man.Your making a very kind gesture,and paying it back ,for all the pleasure you got from playing.Good mojo sent ,and like Yogi Berra said,"it ain't over,till it's over".Namaste

Steve B
Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 AM

That sucks man. I hope that 26% works out for you.

I'd say find as many schools as you can that are nearby, with a music program, and donate them. Or if there's a local drum/music shop that knows of a kid who wants a kit but the family can't afford one.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Lar,

Arthur, I agree with Dr. Watso. 26% is' not unbeatable odds unless you give up. I am battling cancer also. I had half a lung removed, went through radiation and now I'm having chemo. Makes me sick as hell. But the one thing I look forward to is getting back behind the kit at a gig. I still teach but not every week. One of the keys is to keep a positive attitude. Consider that there is no other outcome but positive. Keep your drums.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Keep 26% of your drums - just in case.

Seriously though - horrible news, but don't give up hope.
I have a neighbor who was diagnosed with stage 4 a couple years ago.
He came this close to not making it, and had some very rough times, but he's still here.

He can walk and drive, still cuts his own grass (with a rider), and takes his Ford Mustang to the bar every Sunday. So all is not lost.
I think the others here have given good ideas if it turns out otherwise.
My mum had colon cancer, not sure what stage, but had a foot cut out and is still going strong 12 years after that.
You are not done yet buddy - hang in there!
Old 08-23-2014, 04:51 PM

Good luck to you fighting this disease.

There are some notables in your area who might direct you to the right place to liquidate the collection if you so choose. Harry Canganay, who writes for Not So Modern Drummer, MD, and owned the Drum Center of Indy is in the area.

http://www.wix.com/theploughman/theploughmansrogers
Old 08-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

+1...a second for Harry.The guy is Mr. drums,a published author,and is just super knowledgeable, as is JP.He will steer you in the right direction.Again,the best of luck to you my friend.Keep in touch.

Steve B
Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Sad news Arthur. Best wishes to you. I admire your considerations of others in your condition but you are still alive. I agree with Larry on alternatives for the most part, but I would also suggest this book as well just for the heck of it. Personally I do not agree with any conscious altering medications/foods/etc. Cannabis oil has had some good results to say the least though. There is endless information about cancer cures and nutrition so read up while you can. PM me if you want other info.

World Without Cancer: The Story of Vitamin B17: http://www.amazon.com/World-Without-.../dp/0912986190

One of the biggest things to being healthy is basic nutrition. Organic and non GMO Fruits, veggies, clean meats, and more water than you want to drink is almost a cure itself. Not trying to start a debate or argument but those are plain facts and can be easily found. Now people do survive cancer treatments, but its absolutely miserable and very very expensive. Now that's excluding how that person lives their life, what he does, eats, sleeps, who he knows, etc. Meeting with doctors and having checkups and tests is not a bad idea but you also have so many options, and of course TIME. Use it how you wish.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 PM

If he's being treated for the cancer, which I'd assume he is, he won't feel much like traveling anywhere. He also doesn't have the time either. I'm sure he's already been scheduled for surgery if he hasn't had it already.

Focus on the treatment and worry about the drums later.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Personally I'd sell the kit and travel somewhere that I've always wanted to go. You've got time, use it. Do something that you've always wanted to do.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Guys, can we leave medicine for the doctors and just wish Arthur all the best? Is that too much to ask?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Really sorry to read this Arthur but keep on fighting that fight.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

So sorry to hear this news. Keep positive and fight it man. Seek the best treatment available to you. They have come a long way and I'm sure they have a few tools in their bag for you.

As for the drums, there must be plenty of inner city kids that would love to be able to play some drums.

Hang tough
Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Guys, can we leave medicine for the doctors and just wish Arthur all the best? Is that too much to ask?
You're just assuming that's what he wants? This was all just an attempt to garner well-wishes or sympathy? Everyone here just wants to help or wish well, you don't need to referee.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:27 AM

I have my surgery in the morning to remove the tumors ( there are three large ones at least) and then they are saying aggressive Chemo but I'm really considering the Canibus oil for sure. Yes, I'm very afraid but also very strong willed to live. The reason I haven't toured lately is I take care of my elderly mom so she needs me! As for my drums, yes I know Harry here and others. I'm thinking more of poor schools and the like and maybe selling the old stuff and giving the money to cancer research. Thanks for all the kind words and wish me luck tomorrow. I DON'T need a pity party so maybe your best jokes from here on out? The power of laughter is a proven healer!