DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 07-14-2013, 01:56 AM

Default Traditional Grip - finger dribbling

Hey guys, I have been playing drums for about half a year now and ever since I started I've only used traditional grip. I recently stumbled across a video where Dave Weckl explains how to use your index + middle fingers to play faster on your left hand. In the video he starts by facing your palm down, parallel to the head. He then dribbles the stick with his index + middle fingers (this is the part I can do). After, he turns his wrist to the normal playing position and continues dribbling. Now this is the problem I am having: when I turn my wrist to playing position I can no longer dribble. The stick ends up slicing in toward me rather than straight up and down. Any way I can fix my problem? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5CP18NAms
Old 07-28-2013, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Traditional Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
Hey guys, I have been playing drums for about half a year now and ever since I started I've only used traditional grip. I recently stumbled across a video where Dave Weckl explains how to use your index + middle fingers to play faster on your left hand. In the video he starts by facing your palm down, parallel to the head. He then dribbles the stick with his index + middle fingers (this is the part I can do). After, he turns his wrist to the normal playing position and continues dribbling. Now this is the problem I am having: when I turn my wrist to playing position I can no longer dribble. The stick ends up slicing in toward me rather than straight up and down. Any way I can fix my problem? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5CP18NAms
Raise your thumb up vertically to use it as a guide, and dribble the stick like normal. Just use your thumb to guide it in the right direction. When I first started practicing traditional grip, I had this same problem. If you just keep practicing it, it will eventually fix itself and you won't even know it. It's like swinging a bat. We can tell you how to hold it and which direction to swing, but you will hit the ball on your own. You just have to keep swinging. :)
Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Traditional Grip - finger dribbling

My advice: definitely work on the thumb, rather than the index/middle, if you haven't already. A huge amount of control is available with isolating and strengthening the thumb, and should take care of that problem. Thumb is like "first gear" of a car so said Jojo Mayer.