DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM
gutenberg's Avatar
gutenberg gutenberg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 115
Default Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

18x24 bass drum, 12x14 rack tom, 16x18 floor tom
Gun Metal Gray Metallic Lacquer

Probably gonna cut down the 12x14 to 10x14

(crappy iPhone pic)
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 PM
David Floegel's Avatar
David Floegel David Floegel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nottuln, Germany
Posts: 791
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

you must have a large car :)
nice kit, tho! how does it sound?
__________________
www.davidfloegel.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Angus Macinnes's Avatar
Angus Macinnes Angus Macinnes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 168
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

I dont think they are all that big. Now an 18 X 32 bass drum would be big. I really like em.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 353
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Macinnes View Post
I dont think they are all that big. Now an 18 X 32 bass drum would be big. I really like em.
I saw a kit this week Two 32" Bass Drums, 20/18/15/14 toms.
__________________
Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Pros practice until they can't get it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 787
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

A friend of mine plays a double 32" kick set. 10, 12, 14, 16, & 18. He's been playing a 32 kick for 20 years..

http://youtu.be/35E9bgpQ1io
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
digibird digibird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 111
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

Don't cut down your 12x14! That thing looks great, and probably sounds like a floor tom. Let it be a beast.
Bonham played a 12x14 on his '69 natural maple kit, so you have a precedent of hipness.
I'd bet that kit is a lot of fun to play.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,425
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
Don't cut down your 12x14! That thing looks great, and probably sounds like a floor tom. Let it be a beast.
Bonham played a 12x14 on his '69 natural maple kit, so you have a precedent of hipness.
I'd bet that kit is a lot of fun to play.
I think that would've been a 12x15 tom. Back in '69 a 12x14 would've been a special-order item, and didn't really become a standard size until the 1978 catalog when they introduced the power-sized toms and bass drums.

I'd leave your DW kit alone. It looks great. I'd enjoy it that way.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,580
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
A friend of mine plays a double 32" kick set. 10, 12, 14, 16, & 18. He's been playing a 32 kick for 20 years..

http://youtu.be/35E9bgpQ1io
Nice show, & great sound (even if it's not the original audio). Wonderful vocal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

I'd leave your DW kit alone. It looks great. I'd enjoy it that way.
I agree, it suits the vibe, even if the 14" tom is a bit of a handful.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:23 AM
digibird digibird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 111
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I think that would've been a 12x15 tom. Back in '69 a 12x14 would've been a special-order item, and didn't really become a standard size until the 1978 catalog when they introduced the power-sized toms and bass drums.

I'd leave your DW kit alone. It looks great. I'd enjoy it that way.
I thought Bonham's natural maple kit consisted of 14x26, 9x13, 12x14, 16x16, 16x18, and 18x20. He never used all of these at once, but I liked it best with 14-16-18. I thought the 12x15 came with the stainless steel kit later. I couldn't swear to any of that - I was only 8 in 1969 and not hanging at their show :-) Whatever he played, it was damn good!

Whatcha think in this pic - 12x14 or 12x15? I don't know... ( I have the Ludwig Natural Maples from 1999 in 12x14, 16x16, 16x18, and 16x26 with a matching 8x14 maple snare, so I might be seeing what I want to see cuz I use the 14" tom :-))
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,425
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
I thought Bonham's natural maple kit consisted of 14x26, 9x13, 12x14, 16x16, 16x18, and 18x20. He never used all of these at once, but I liked it best with 14-16-18. I thought the 12x15 came with the stainless steel kit later. I couldn't swear to any of that - I was only 8 in 1969 and not hanging at their show :-) Whatever he played, it was damn good!

Whatcha think in this pic - 12x14 or 12x15? I don't know... ( I have the Ludwig Natural Maples from 1999 in 12x14, 16x16, 16x18, and 16x26 with a matching 8x14 maple snare, so I might be seeing what I want to see cuz I use the 14" tom :-))
I want to believe it's a 12x15 simply because the only 14 tom Ludwig made at the time was a 10x14. And Carmine Appice (THE reason Mr. Bonham got a Ludwig deal {this is me rolling my eyes}) said Bonham got an identical kit that he had because he liked it. So two 14x26 bass drums, single 12x15 rack tom, and the two floor toms. But Jimmy and John Paul Jones stole one bass drum and wouldn't let him use it. Or so the story goes?

In fact, Carmine's drumset that Bonham copied is on display at the Hollywood Guitar Center on Sunset boulevard in the front museum window. I saw that it was clearly a 15 tom. That's what I want to believe anyway. I've been wrong lots of times though ;)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 AM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 787
Default Re: Ridiculously huge DW Performance kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Nice show, & great sound (even if it's not the original audio). Wonderful vocal!
Andy, I think all that's dubbed is a couple of background vox & maybe a guitar..
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com