DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM

Default mixer for live sound....suggestions?

I'm looking for a mixer for live playing. I would like something powered and was looking at something like this so I could use it for both a band practice PA and a live stage mixer monitor setup. Mostly for small to medium size clubs/bars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-header-630190

or this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-powered-mixer

I'm using dual overhead mics with spot mics on snare and kick. Glyn Johns technique. I'd like to be able to stereo pan the overheads.

I'll probably be using a pair of these with whichever mixer I buy.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...er-pair#review
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: mixer for live sound....suggestions?

I would recommend you to get the latest generation of powered speakers from jbl, yamaha, qsc or ev. Then buy a used mixer. This way you will maximise your sound quality and flexibility. Powered mixers is not in high regards by most people.
An Allen & Heath 16ch MixWiz is a respected non - powered mixer that you easily can get hold of.

Edit: I can see that your budget is not so high, but I still stand by my recommandation.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

I agree, the problem with powered is that eventually if and when you need more power you will need to up grade both instead of just the amp or if you have an issue with one part of it and send it out to get fixed you are now looking to replace both. I also recommend Allen and Heath or a Soundcraft if you can swing it, buy it once and have it for ever. For the record I have been using an Allen and Heath 16 channel mix wizzard myself for about 15 years now with no problems what so ever and the on board effects are alot better than than most. Im also not a fan of powered speakers either, Id rather have separate amps and speakers but thats just me as a lot of people have good luck with them and dont mind the added weight to the speakers.

Last edited by tard; 09-05-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Those Yamaha A15 speakers are great by the way. I owned two and they handled quite a bit of power.

I would split the whole thing up, get a mixer, two speakers, and a power amp. I currently use a Mackie 1604VLZ as my console, a Crown 402D power amp (these have been discontinued though) and two Peavey speakers now (12" woofer with a horn), and this set-up works great. I do need a separate effects box, but I'm willing to deal with that due to the routing flexibility of the Mackie. However, my other choice for consoles would be the Yamaha O1v96 if you can afford it.

But, you may be a Mackie ProFX12 type of person if you want some simplicity. The downside to the Yamaha O1v is that you need a sound guy manning it, it's not really a "set-and-forget" board that we so often use with small garage bands, but it can be done.

I understand you're on a budget, but split the components than you can upgrade each one as your needs become greater. I've seen great condition Mackie 1604VLZ's going for as low as $450 on eBay sometimes. Whatever you do, do not skimp on the console. That's the device that's doing most of the work, and if you get cheap components in it (a la Behringer, or Samson), you'll just be dealing with noise and low mic-pre head room, and that's just gonna be another huge headache. I'm assuming you've learned your lessons about buying things like cheap cymbals and drums, the same applies to audio equipment.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 AM
audiotech

I too am not a fan of powered mixers or speaker enclosures for that matter. With powered mixers, there is generally not enough room inside to ventilate the power amplifier properly. I've replaced several power transistors that ran amok from just too much heat. With powered speaker enclosures, again it's a ventilation matter primarily if the enclosure is working in a high outdoor heat environment. It's much better in my opinion to run a rack of power amps in a rack enclosure with ample space between the amps and fans blowing into and out of the racks to keep air circulating. It's much easier to re-patch another amp if something goes wrong than it is to replace an entire stack. In fact I always run an extra amp on either side of the stage just in case of a failure.

Dennis
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

I am looking for a powered mixer to be used to play praise and worship for prison ministry. I already have two Phonic 10" two way speakers, a mixer, and a power amp; but that is too many different things to carry. A powered mixer would be better for that situation. So I need a simple powered mixer for two or three singers. The instruments will be keyboards and drums, and maybe bass, and maybe guitar. We play at a medium to medium-loud volume.

I have looked at Peavey, Behringer, Phonic, and others priced $150-$300. Do any of you have experience with any simple powered mixer like this? I figured some of you may use something like this at band practice or small gigs. Thanks. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark