DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Gold Member

Default Killing Goliath Live Set (first live recording ever)

Hey guys,

long time no see. I find that I'm nowhere as much on this forum as when I first started drumming almost seven years ago, but I still hold everyone of you in high regard. I've learned so much here, and still today nuggets of wisdom I've found here are popping up in my memory sometimes.

Since I was a regular attendee here some things have changed; I've found another band, I've become a father and I've moved into our first real home where I have a nice room for my drums and am able to record.

The band I'm in is a punk hardcore band, so it might not be your cup of tea, but I'd love to share our first recorded live show with you. We've been playing live for around a year now, and we've been together for 2,5 years. The show is flawed in many ways technique wise, but still I'd like your opinion.

Please check it out :)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Killing Goliath Live Set (first live recording ever)

I can dig it! Nice playing and good overall scene vibe.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
I can dig it! Nice playing and good overall scene vibe.
Thanks Josh! Cool that you've picked up on the vibe! That's exactly what we want. We think atmosphere and vibe are more important then playing a "perfect set". We do have high standards for recording though, but on stage it's all about the energy.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

No one else has any opinion?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry Frank, completely missed this thread, & great to see you here again :)

Not my scene, but I like the energy on stage. The front guys are certainly working hard to put it all across. Liking your playing too (but then again, I always have). Well recorded for a live gig, with good stereo imaging too. How was this recorded?

The only section where I noticed a bit of groove drift was right at the start. Took the band a good few bars to dial into that very open groove.

Just great to see you posting your playing again really :)
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Sorry Frank, completely missed this thread, & great to see you here again :)

Not my scene, but I like the energy on stage. The front guys are certainly working hard to put it all across. Liking your playing too (but then again, I always have). Well recorded for a live gig, with good stereo imaging too. How was this recorded?

The only section where I noticed a bit of groove drift was right at the start. Took the band a good few bars to dial into that very open groove.

Just great to see you posting your playing again really :)
Hey Andy, thanks for watching! The energy is what we're about at the moment. You noticed the flawed start of the show; our singer is not very consistent in his timing yet, so he began the chorus on the wrong count, so we automatically followed him.
The recording was done by a friend of ours who has finished an audio enginering study, and set up his own record label where we are "signed". I can't say how he recorded it. The only thing I know is he uses Protools :). I am very happy with my snare sound by the way, it's exactly as I want it.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Nog een Nederlandstalige! Leuk! Ben zelf Belg. :-) Maar zal het hier maar in het Engels doen, zodat de rest het ook begrijpt.

I never really listened to punk/hardcore (blink is the only band that I listened to that really comes close to that I think) but I can appreciate this (though not a big fan of the vocals / screamo). As has been said, I loved the overall vibe that was in that place. A bit more audience shots would have been nice! I like how all you guys seemed to enjoy your playing and be enthusiastic rather than just "play".

I admit that when the song first started I was afraid that the audio was bad and that everything was left centred. That first note is a bit too much. Seems like it's panned 100% right. 60% Would be better in my opinion.

Great job! And congrats with the house and baby and so on!

Last edited by BramVanroy; 07-04-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramVanroy View Post
Nog een Nederlandstalige! Leuk! Ben zelf Belg. :-) Maar zal het hier maar in het Engels doen, zodat de rest het ook begrijpt.

I never really listened to punk/hardcore (blink is the only band that I listened to that really comes close to that I think) but I can appreciate this (though not a big fan of the vocals / screamo). As has been said, I loved the overall vibe that was in that place. A bit more audience shots would have been nice! I like how all you guys seemed to enjoy your playing and be enthusiastic rather than just "play".

I admit that when the song first started I was afraid that the audio was bad and that everything was right centred. That first note is a bit too much. Seems like it's panned 100% right. 60% Would be better in my opinion.

Great job! And congrats with the house and baby and so on!
Bedankt voor je reactie!

The audience isn't shot that much because there wasn't a lot of people then. We were the first band that evening. When there are plans to record a show again we'll make sure we're in a better slot, so we have some audience to film aswell :-P.
The panning never occured to me, but I'll listen to it again and see if it bugs me too :).