DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Default DW5000 Strap Drive

So I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that there's strap-drive for the DW5000 that allows for smoother faster playing. Does this come with the pedal, or can I/do I buy it separately?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DW5000 Strap Drive

You can do one of two things: You can either replace the sprocket and chain on a DW5000 chain drive pedal with a cam and a strap (easy), or, get a DW6000 pedal that already has a model with a cam and a strap (easier). The 5000 is built a little more beefier, but not by much. I think the 6000 doesn't come with the bottom plate, however, but it's still a very smooth pedal.

My question is how fast do you need to go? In my experience this has more to do with technique than the actual pedal. I do prefer a strap sometimes though, as this is what I grew up on - there was a time when the idea of a sprocket and a chain was unheard of.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
audiotech

Default Re: DW5000 Strap Drive

I have two pedals that are strap drives, a Yamaha and a Tama Iron Cobra, love them both. I too was brought up with strap drive pedals. As far as converting the DW5000, I can't give you any advice because I've never done it. I can agree on the strap pedal being very smooth, almost non existent, but I'm not quite sure about being able to play faster on it compared to other drive systems.

Dennis